Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
v.a.s.cleaning
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

what a find !!!
love the look from it
good job to the cru !
66 sundial camper
66 karmann ghia cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
As an A23 it likely would not have had an ice box and the position of the cargo net hooks seem to confirm this. Looks like a great project, quite solid in some areas.

Do yourself a favour and save everything, even the crappy wood you don't think you will use. The price of everything needed to fix that SO23 will scare you, anything you can do cut down sourcing westfalia-specific items will save you money. Please update the thread as you go along and ask questions.

Yep, no.cooler or cabinet on the drivers side rear.
Also, no toilet or stove. That will save you a few dollars, but everything else, oy vey!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Truly an awesome find and recovery!
'69 Bug
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I have a few extra wooden roof bows, if you need any of that... LMK
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

great find and amazing friends. will be watching your build.
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

That nut in the floor is the correct table leg holder. The cargo net hooks are around the roof lip on the drivers side and on the cabinet on the passenger (for buses without the icebox cabinet on the driver side)

Clara makes the roof bows (at least she used to). I had enough remnants of mine to make patterns. So, I remade them myself.
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I figured that was probably the correct table leg nut. Too bad I don't have a table... I ordered Clara's wood bows already.. Laughing

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Pretty amazing how solid the bus is still but then how rotten the wood became inside. Even the metal is pretty decent inside. Crazy.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Decided to take some time to clean out the front of the Mole. I've been working on another project and needed a change of venue..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both front doors were frozen shut so it took awhile to access the cab area

The was a Deluxe SO23 with the Snakeskin interior and Rat Dropping aroma...

Some industrious PO decide to install 1/3-2/3 seats instead of the bench. They cut out the passenger side L brace and screwed in the brackets and tracks for the new seats... If anyone has a bench seat and needs a 1/3-2/3, I'm open to some kind of trade..

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Dewayne wrote:
The was a Deluxe SO23 with the Snakeskin interior and Rat Dropping aroma...

Are you sure that's a snake skin and not the remnants of the water tank hose?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Also, I think I have the missing pieces you'll need to support the correct bench seat so don't buy them! Repeat after me, I will not buy parts my local friends have sitting in their garage.

SAY IT! Laughing Laughing Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I will not buy parts that my local friends already have......

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

How nice!!!
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see the grafting of the rear frame and trans axle section. I have two buses that need the same thing.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

I just read your entire thread Dewayne after you posted looking for some Westy parts and I like the theory of lack of oxygen kept the Mole from rusting out. These seats are in amazing condition and hopefully will be traded out for the proper bench seat.

I really like how Debby made this video so I can see exactly how it was extracted. You guys are super strong to lift it up, very impressed.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dissenha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Heys guys,

Do you any update about this?
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Nothing exciting. I've spent a bunch of money collecting parts. I still haven't finished the project I have in the garage and it will be awhile before I get to the So23. However, I retire in a month so things should start progressing soon... thanks for the interest!

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

The hunt for parts can be cool although pricy for a Westy, I'm looking forward to the build as your DC was stunning so I'm sure the Mole will be too. Great retirement project look forward to. BTW Dewayne your closeup of the wooden slats in your DC was the first time I truly understood how that wood looks and fits in the bed. I could never figure out how the beds we see with missing slats didn't have huge holes from rust. Then again I never saw a closeup.

Dewayne wrote:
Nothing exciting. I've spent a bunch of money collecting parts. I still haven't finished the project I have in the garage and it will be awhile before I get to the So23. However, I retire in a month so things should start progressing soon... thanks for the interest!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Happy 3 year extraction anniversary to The Mole! I know your turn in the shop is on the horizon and plenty has been collected for the resurrection to come. I can't wait to watch and hopefully lend a hand. #mole2021
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unearthing of Mole, a 1960 SO23 Reply with quote

Lol, Thanks Adam... been a long road, but it is getting shorter. For those that don't know what Adam knows, we had a house fire, the pandemic and I have another project, Frank, that has kept The Mole on the back burner. However the house has been rebuilt, the pandemic isn't such an issue, and Frank is almost done. Plus I have accumulated a lot of parts for The Mole over the last few years. This is the year of The Mole!

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: