Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Bay fuel tank outlet nipple
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
Parts you need:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought
Valve from here: http://www.afcvalves.com/mod121.html
Center AN fitting: http://www.anplumbing.com/Adapters/Aluminum-14.html
Gas tank fitting (right piece): http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3288

All for less than $ 100.00

When installed:

Make sure you:
Use gas rated Teflon tape or sealant on threads.
Use the bolt on top of fuel cut off solenoid to make bracket for extra support. You don't want the valve to wiggle.
Hook up solenoid to same wire that runs fuel pump. Hopefully the fuel pump is wired correctly through a relay.

I've had this on since April of 2011 and it works great and gives piece of mind. Shuts off fuel when engine is shut off and no rubber hose to rot out between valve and tank.

Any problem with that weight dangling off of the fittings? Seems like it would be better bolted to the frame with a steel line going to it off of the tank.

I have a small Brenderup stamped steel trailer with a spare tire mounted to the front of the trailer. The spare tire vibrates a little with road imperfections. This led to cracks from the four bolt holes.

My daily driver also had cracks around a cheap trailer hitch that bolted to the bottom of the cargo area (trunk). I replaced it and welded up the cracks.
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation complete Reply with quote

rneithammer wrote:
The job is done!

Actually, I finished it a while ago, and the bus has been on a major long trip with the solenoid installation. No issues at all.

Here are some pics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1102604

Closeup of the parts I used, including a section of brake line from the FLAPS that goes from the tank outlet connection, across the top of the tranmission, to the solenoid.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1102603

Another shot of the parts. Also from the FLAPS, I got the adapters need to go from the brake line compression fittings to the 1/4" NPT fittings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1102602

This is the tank outlet, with the tank to AN 6 adapter, AN 6 to 1/4" NPT male elbow, 1/4' NPT female to 1/4" NPT female coupler, and 1/4" NPT to brake line adapter. I bent the brake line into a squiggle across the top of the transmission, to allow the stuff on each side of the tranmission to move indpendently if they have to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1102601

This is the solenoid, located on the opposite side of the transmission from the tank outlet. Not the most illustrative picture, but you can see how I mounted it: Made a bracket that mounts under a conveniently located chassis bolt. Tie-wrapped the solenoid to the bracket.

Getting this thing in, connected, wired and working was an all-day-er, but worth it. And, besides the fire protection benefit, it allows me to run the carb dry for winter storage of the bus, just by disconnecting the hot lead to the solenoid (which I connected to the coil hot lead), starting the engine and running it till it quits.

How long did the zip ties last? I never have much luck with them long term.
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay fuel tank outlet nipple Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. Lots of great details for us all to work with.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay fuel tank outlet nipple Reply with quote

Seems to that the inside diameter of that brake line might be too small and restrict flow. I would have used 1/4 stainless tubing.

Edit: I see that the label says it's 1/4 inch x 20. My mistake
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay fuel tank outlet nipple Reply with quote

I have all the hardware sorted. Could anyone give me a little “complete idiot” direction on wiring this?
Can I go straight to coil? Inline fuse necessary? Cable gauge important? Any other tips are appreciated.
Thanks in advance
amotomura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Bay fuel tank outlet nipple Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up an old post. Does anyone have a solution for hooking up a steel line to the end of the steel hose on the bottom of a later Bay tank? These tanks do not have the threaded bung on the bottom.

Would I be able to do a brake line flare and use brake line fittings? I’m not sure if a flare kit would work due to the pipe not being a standard brake hose size...

Thank you,

Andrew
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: