Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Rack ID Wood Slat
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

I have an old roof rack I bought and it has a German sticker on it but I see no other stampings. Do you think it is simply an older aftermarket piece? I definitely see no VW markings on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. My apologies it’s not sitting on a bug but didn’t have one at home. So it’s stuck on my Opel haha

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

11 slats? Hmmmm, that’s unique. Most I’ve seen are either 6, 9 or 10 slat. That looks like a VWoA rack, but it would be stamped on the front header.

Could be a mid ‘90s production from a company called Parts Is Parts.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
11 slats? Hmmmm, that’s unique. Most I’ve seen are either 6, 9 or 10 slat. That looks like a VWoA rack, but it would be stamped on the front header.

Could be a mid ‘90s production from a company called Parts Is Parts.

By front header you mean the flat C-Channel that the slats slide into?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

JoePolo wrote:
I have an old roof rack I bought and it has a German sticker on it but I see no other stampings. Do you think it is simply an older aftermarket piece?

That looks more like a "sticker" than the water-slide decal that my original had.
Also, the species of wood looks different.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
JoePolo wrote:
I have an old roof rack I bought and it has a German sticker on it but I see no other stampings. Do you think it is simply an older aftermarket piece?

That looks more like a "sticker" than the water-slide decal that my original had.
Also, the species of wood looks different.

It definitely does not feel like a sticker, if I go to get like a finger nail under it to peel it up there is nothing, it is almost smooth with the wood, unless it was urethaned over there is a very faint lip, but not your standard decal for sure.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

Looks like the real deal to me- just possibly not for a beetle. Could be for another small German (or neighboring) car. Need to see it mounted

Parts Is Parts used to stamp a "PIP" on their racks. I could be there somewhere- but those rivets and the general build quality sure look old to me.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Looks like the real deal to me- just possibly not for a beetle. Could be for another small German (or neighboring) car. Need to see it mounted

It looks too wide to fit an Opel. Wink
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
hitest wrote:

It looks too wide to fit an Opel. Wink

The picture of it sitting on a car is on a 64 Opel so it is definitely too wide.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack ID Wood Slat Reply with quote

I think Rare is on the money. I bought a Parts Is Parts rack back in about 1995, and that looks like the one I had- construction, wood, sticker, and finish.

The fit was very good. It also actually worked for hauling camping gear up Mt Hood many times.

I now have an OG one, and can say with certainty that the PIP repro was flimsier than the originals. And the finish was poor; mine had started to rust where the thin fiiish had failed.

All that said, it is a good rack. It would need to be cleaned up and refinished, but should last for a long tine, looks pretty darned authentic, and will actually function as a roof rack.

Here is a pic of mine on my 66 in about 1994-1995. Yikes the years fly.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: