Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsymobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

Seen some nifty storage creations on the web, with particular kits in Germany that look like it could be from stock (but they are pricey).

Anyone have tips on where a slideout drawer for the MV can be purchased in the US or Canada? It would be nice to have slotted compartments for organization. Or, if anyone has self built something of the sort for their van, I’d love to here about the process and/or pics.

Cheers
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

This doesn't answer your question directly, but I was going down the same path. I had already studied a number of pull out drawer/platform installs and even had my parts list. And then, I stumbled onto another idea I wanted to try out first.

I purchased a large clear floor protector that goes under your desk for roll about chairs. It is heavy duty plastic that I cut with tin snips. I used cardboard to make a template around all the built in parts of my Weekender. The protector covers the entire surface from side to side and back to front.

I have a couple of large bins and some larger items that don't fit into a bin that go underneath. They slide very easily on the floor protector and it has made getting items out very easy. Now I'm considering building a box to mount under the rear seat that is accessible from the 2 front pull-out panels. This will limit the rear underneath area from the back of the rear seat to rear hatch, making it even easier to reach things.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

Here's the one my friend just made and my wife informed me I will be copying; its really nice.

He fastened two strips of plywood to the upper frame work of the bed/shelf and then fastened the drawer sliders to those. Its a very simple and very effective method. He said he has the dimensions, I'll try to post them once I get them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the one my friend just made and my wife informed me I will be copying; its really nice.

Classic

Laughing Laughing
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

If you end up going DIY, be sure to check out @Needlenoddlenoo's build here as well:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651918

Pics from that thread:

Probably the nicest rear drawer and storage setup I've seen here so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

I really like these drawers, but I would also need to easily and quickly remove them, as I often use the van to haul stuff with the rear platform removed and the bed slid all the way forward.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I really like these drawers, but I would also need to easily and quickly remove them, as I often use the van to haul stuff with the rear platform removed and the bed slid all the way forward.

I'm working on that. Wink

Very interesting BTW re: hauling w/the bed slid forward but not removed -- I've not tried that yet. Our current configuration = one van pretty much in full-time "camper mode" and the other pretty much in full-time "cargo mode", so we don't have to convert very often right now. HOWEVER, the flexibility of the MV/MV Weekender platform is one of my favorite aspects of it, and that has me exploring configurable / modular options that can improve storage and camping capabilities without becoming permanent. Glad to see I'm not alone in desiring that. I find it a really interesting design/problem space. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

P.S. to OP: another one you might want to look at (and possibly the maker may be willing to build for you?) here:
http://www.cavevan.com/forum/index.php?topic=451.0
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

@ Ideanerd

I think somebody needs to develop the slide out room like the double back.

It doesn't even have to come out this far, I think just enough for the bed. Instead of unfolding the bench/bed forward -- unfold backwards and out! Saves that valuable space in the middle of the van.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

@Itsamoto Interesting idea! Now you're going to have me putting the bench seat back in one of our vans, just to tinker with it again. Smile

I agree re: saving the valuable "middle of the van" space. A few panel customers have brought it up too (along with related thoughts about refrigerator access, kitchen cabinets, etc.).

What do you think of rear tents? e.g.

wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

I’ve had one on an Adventurewagen and liked it a lot. The hatch acted as a rainfly / cover and the rest of the van could be used without moving things around all the time.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
@Itsamoto Interesting idea! Now you're going to have me putting the bench seat back in one of our vans, just to tinker with it again. Smile

I agree re: saving the valuable "middle of the van" space. A few panel customers have brought it up too (along with related thoughts about refrigerator access, kitchen cabinets, etc.).

What do you think of rear tents? e.g.

Great until the Black bears discover the snack pack humans
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

@ ideanerd -- I like the idea of being able to keep the space between the 3rd row and the front row. It has always been peeve that in the weekender that the table and bed overlap. Not that I need to eat in bed, but I'd much prefer to remove the second row or seats and have the table closer to the front row. That would allow both bed and table to be deployed at once.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

Interesting stuff here:

http://mevltd.co.uk/vw-camper-conversions

Link

Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
The hatch acted as a rainfly / cover and the rest of the van could be used without moving things around all the time.

That's it in a nutshell -- moving stuff around in the van is hard to do. We've pulled into camp sites later than expected and the kids are asleep -- and to get the beds set up quickly with all the crap we have in there is such a pain. I think that's one of pluses for designated cabinets -- restricting what everybody can bring inorder to keep the interior functional.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

One more thing...

In the spirit keeping the interior space, I have been thinking of something like what is done by the folks at Flarespace (who don't currently make a eurovan product) -- and that would side flare pods, like this:

This could make for the rear bed to be laid out across the width of the van - opening up some new possibilities to interior layouts.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

@Abscate: You sound like a man who's never been tent camping or backpacking. Wink

Did make me chuckle though. Also reminded me of this Far Side cartoon. Laughing

@Istamoto:
Itsamoto wrote:
wildenbeast wrote:
The hatch acted as a rainfly / cover and the rest of the van could be used without moving things around all the time.

That's it in a nutshell -- moving stuff around in the van is hard to do. We've pulled into camp sites later than expected and the kids are asleep -- and to get the beds set up quickly with all the crap we have in there is such a pain. I think that's one of pluses for designated cabinets -- restricting what everybody can bring inorder to keep the interior functional.

This is really what I'm after, in most of the storage projects I'm thinking about and working on. Not just limiting "how much" (although I think you might be onto something with that, especially on trips with kids!), but having a not-in-the-way place for everything. What continues to surprise me is how much of a difference that makes, with regards to to having fun vs. getting on each others' nerves and generally being aggravated and not having fun at all. Like night and day (at least for us!). The silly hacks I've rendered so far in our main "camping van" (which are nothing polished at all -- just "proof of concept" stuff) have made a big difference for us, both in overall camping enjoyment and also how spontaneously we are willing to take quick one- and two-night camping trips.

I LOVE the links, pictures, and information you've posted above -- thank you! inspiring! Very Happy
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

My pvc cot linked in my signature has been valuable for placing stuff on while making the bed. So everything doesn’t have to move to the front of van from the back. Then you can shuffle later or leave it all there if you don’t need an extra small bed. It’s easily removed but I’m probably rarely going to ever take it out.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
@Abscate: You sound like a man who's never been tent camping or backpacking. Wink

Did make me chuckle though. Also reminded me of this Far Side cartoon. Laughing

@Istamoto:
Itsamoto wrote:
wildenbeast wrote:

This is really what I'm after, in most of the storage projects I'm thinking about and working on. Not just limiting "how much" (although I think you might be onto something with that, especially on trips with kids!), but having a not-in-the-way place for everything. What continues to surprise me is how much of a difference that makes, with regards to to having fun vs. getting on each others' nerves and generally being aggravated and not having fun at all. Like night and day (at least for us!). The silly hacks I've rendered so far in our main "camping van" (which are nothing polished at all -- just "proof of concept" stuff) have made a big difference for us, both in overall camping enjoyment and also how spontaneously we are willing to take quick one- and two-night camping trips.

I LOVE the links, pictures, and information you've posted above -- thank you! inspiring! Very Happy

Ha! That is the exact cartoon that came to memory.

I have 5 peaks left inthe Adirondack 40 club.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pullout drawer for under the rear bench / hatch Reply with quote

@wildenbeast I forgot you had an Adventurewagen! Thanks for sharing pictures (I like where you're camped by the way -- nice!). What kind/brand of rear hatch tent is that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: