Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Brakes Problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Another question about the rear brakes this time guys, well it actually a general VW brakes observation and question.

The connecting bar that levers the hand brake. When I install it with the "dimple" down, it makes contact with the backing plate retention bolts. When I try to center the shoes to make clearance for the drum to fit, when I tap the shoe that is messing up the clearance down (tap, tap, tap), the connecting bar levers the other shoe up because it is touching the backing plate bolts. This just moves the drum clearance problem to the other spot on the drum. Does the connecting bar "dimpled" side go up or down?

Looks like I have two connecting bars from the same side. One ends up with the dimple pointing up and clears the backing plate bolts while the other side has to have the dimple pointing down and gets in the way like this. I guess I could grind off the dimple enough to make things work, or I could find another one that is situated for the clearance. What is right? Picture below...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

there's no left and right bar...both the same part, dimple up one side and down on the other...your photo shows the bar on the lever end attached too low and not in the notch in the shoe....and you need to back off the nut on the handbrake cable so theres no tension on the handbrake arm...after drums are back on and shoes properly adjusted then you adjust handbrake
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

I'll check that out! Thanks!
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Ok Volksworld, it's gotta be awesome to be you! Really.... I appreciate the good catch and when you give spot-on advice and the guy's thankful - gotta feel awesome. Thanks!
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

you're welcome...every now and then i do something right...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Yeah, never made any sense to me why VW never made a mirror image of the brake "spreader" part for the other side !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Yeah, never made any sense to me why VW never made a mirror image of the brake "spreader" part for the other side !!

Second production process for an unneeded part....Not efficient...We ARE talking about Germans....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

if they had people could then install them on the wrong sides...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
if they had people could then install them on the wrong sides...

if they had people WOULD then install them on the wrong sides...the same ones who don't know to work on one side at a time !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
njg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

So which side had the dimple up? Should be the same on all cars.
I don't want to break my brakes so I'm having a break until I find out what brake should have the dimple up. That way when I brake with my brakes I won't break anything.
Thanks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

njg02 wrote:
I don't want to break my brakes so I'm having a break until I find out what brake should have the dimple up. That way when I brake with my brakes I won't break anything.
Thanks.

Gimme a break !!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
njg02 wrote:
Thanks.

Gimme a break !!!

Are you asking for a Kit-Kat bar, Cusser?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
njg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Mr Cusser. Well done.
I'll have some of the Kit-Kat please. They break easy!
njg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Fixed.
Turned the cross brace over.
It appears that the adjusters at the bottom have a slight angle in the slot. Turned one around, moved everything to where I thought it should be moved to and the drum slipped on nicely.
Nearly have brakes. Time for another rest.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

One end of the bar is cut with a wider slot to fit around the parking brake lever (the arm that is pulled by the parking brake cable). The wider slot should be to the rear and offset to the outside since the parking brake lever is mounted to the rear shoe and attached to the outside face of the shoe.

The common mistake is to think the "dimple" is to allow space for the spring. The dimple is there to stiffen the bar and prevent it from flexing. Without it the bar would flex/bend. It doesn't matter if it is up or down, as long as it properly fits on the brake shoes.

Knowing which side had the up/down dimple is really the wrong question. Some aftermarket maker could produce a part with the dimple on the opposite side from stock. It would still work since the dimple is there only for strength. And if someone DID make a left and right side bar set with the dimple always down, you would be stuck because the side which you expected to be dimple up would no longer fit, because you were following a silly expectation. Similar to the expectation that the dimple was spacing for the spring.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
njg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brakes Problem Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ashman. I understand.
But, does this look correct?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: