Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me identify this engine
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texbingham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

I brought home this 63 Ghia last week and I am trying to figure out what size and model engine is in the back of it. I am pretty sure it isnt original. The engine code is 7452292. I identify that as a 1200cc 34bhp, but to me it looks bigger then that. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

You can never know the "size" of a vw motor unless you tear it down and measure Bore X Stroke. Looks like the case has been painted indicating a tear down at some point. Congrats on your purchase. Running, driving car? What are the plans?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

May want to think about relocating that ground wire... I don't think the deck lid latch is a solid point.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

That number as far as I can tell looks like a year correct 40HP motor,January 1963..congratulations on your "numbers matching" '63 Ghia (assuming your body and chassis numbers match)
That ground strap usually gets mounted to one of the studs on the generator stand,and is a brass braided strap..but that insulated 12 gauge wire is just fine..just not period correct if that's what you're going for
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

FYI, "40 horse" refers to the 1200 cc rated as 40 hp SAE gross or 34 hp DIN. Same engine, different hp rating depending on rating method/system.

Last edited by sactojesse on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

A few suggestions as well,
Relocate that acorn fuel filter as far away as possible from the engine,in front above the transmission is preferable..
Try and find the correct oil bath air filter and ditch the paper chrome jobbie you have,that way you can also run the stovepipe pickup hose to the rear engine tin and fill that vacant hole..
I see your fan shroud ducts are blocked off,so I'm guessing you have J-tubes instead of heat exchange boxes..I do see the stale air boxes peeking through the holes in the tin..These need to be covered over..
However,there's a few options here..You can plug the shroud outlets with something smaller and slip the flexible fresh air heater hoses over the blocked fan outlets and run them to the stale air boxes with the required metal adapters and rubber boots and clamps,this gives the engine the stock look and also blocks off the shroud outlets and gives the required cooling to the heads..IF you do have heat exchangers,then hook them up!
You could also get a blank rear engine tin that has no holes cut out if you were just to leave everything as is..But point being,block off all unused areas for optimal cooling..the idea being to lay a shop light underneath and see as little light as possible from above
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
FYI, "40 horse" refers to the 1200 cc rated as 40 bhp SAE gross or 34 hp DIN. Same engine, different hp rating depending on rating method/system.

Yes and No..
The DIN is the German metric unit of measurement for BHP (brake horsepower)..whereas SAE is a different measurement all together,an engine sitting on a stand with no resistance
BHP refers to an engine under load,usually in the car on a dyno ..so it's always going to show less,34 DIN or BHP equals 40 SAE HP.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

fes wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
FYI, "40 horse" refers to the 1200 cc rated as 40 bhp SAE gross or 34 hp DIN. Same engine, different hp rating depending on rating method/system.

Yes and No..
The DIN is the German metric unit of measurement for BHP (brake horsepower)..whereas SAE is a different measurement all together,an engine sitting on a stand with no resistance
BHP refers to an engine under load,usually in the car on a dyno ..so it's always going to show less,34 DIN or BHP equals 40 SAE HP.

That was my point. SAE net, which was required in the US beginning in 1973, is more inline with DIN. SAE gross is higher.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

Yup..I get ya bud..,figured we were saying the same thing..thought it may just be a little confusing when you put "40 bhp and SAE" in the same description
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Yup..I get ya bud..,figured we were saying the same thing..thought it may just be a little confusing when you put "40 bhp and SAE" in the same description

Gotcha. Fixed. Laughing
texbingham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be back with more questions, the interior is pretty shot and that is not my expertise. One more question, how would I know if the engine is original to the car? The chassis numbers are pretty hard to read but I can make out most of the numbers.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help me identify this engine Reply with quote

texbingham wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I will be back with more questions, the interior is pretty shot and that is not my expertise. One more question, how would I know if the engine is original to the car? The chassis numbers are pretty hard to read but I can make out most of the numbers.

The only sure fire way to verify a numbers matching car is by contacting the the Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen in Germany, the keepers of Volkswagen’s official records.

How to do that is well covered in this thread......
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95862

The certificate will not show the engine number but if you provide the number, an accompanying letter will verify that it was shipped with the particular vehicle VIN.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: