Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Pedal Return Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

I brought my 73 bus out of winter storage yesterday and glad to say it started up with a little coaxing and is now running well. However, I am experiencing some brake pedal issues that I have not seen before. On occasion, after the first pedal application when braking, the pedal returns slowly to its normal position.

What is the process/mechanics that return the pedal back to its 'ready' position?

Even though it's still cold here in Western NY, it seems logical that brakes are not effect by temperature so I'm trying figure why I am experiencing slow brake pedal return on occasion. I checked the fluid and the reservoir is full and there are no visible leaks at the M/C or wheel cylinders.

I have been dealing with a brake servo issue as see here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687495&highlight=

and wonder if my brake pedal return issues may be related to vacuum or the servo issue itself.

As always, any help/input is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Its a spring.

So if the spring is not returning the pedal.....there are a few items that could be,slowing its,return.

1. Just poor greasing of pivot points on the pedal and pushrod or in the brake booster.
2. Sticking compensation port flap valves on the pistons. If you do not bleed your brakes on a regular basis.....say every other year no matter the miles....most expecially on a vehicle that is stored with no running in the winter.....this can be an issue.

3. Old master cylinder seals that are finally starting to disintegrate.....not that common....but if the master cylinder is old....it can just as easily be rust dragging on the seals. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Thanks Ray,

The brakes have been bled several times in the last 18 months - and the fluid is fresh. Will investigate the items you mention.

The brake pedal is always good and the brakes are very responsive on the first application when stopping: it's the second application where the issue will manifest itself - and as said before, it's intermittent. So as long as I don't let off the pedal on the first application, I have good responsive brakes. But intermittent brakes are not a safe bet so I have to track this down.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks Ray,

The brakes have been bled several times in the last 18 months - and the fluid is fresh. Will investigate the items you mention.

The brake pedal is always good and the brakes are very responsive on the first application when stopping: it's the second application where the issue will manifest itself - and as said before, it's intermittent. So as long as I don't let off the pedal on the first application, I have good responsive brakes. But intermittent brakes are not a safe bet so I have to track this down.

Thats a classic issue of something sticking in the master cylinder or its pivot points. How old is the master cylinder?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

The master cylinder's age is unknown to me - but from the photos, it looks old. Can these be rebuilt or refurbished or is it best to replace? You also mentioned pivot points, are these points of movement in the mechanism that can be clean and greased?

Thanks, Jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Yes....they can be rebuilt....if you can get a good kit....and if the cylinder has no rusty pits more than about .003" deep.

If you are mechanically inclined...its really not hard at all to rebuild a master cylinder.

BUT....the cost for doing it yourself is sometimes pretty close to just buying a new one. The only risks of buying a new one are...can you get a good quality part.
And because of that last comment....if you are more inclined to keep a good rebuildable German master cylinder core ...for both quality and collect-ability sake (which I agree with)....the real key is being able to tell when the cylinder is beyond use/repiar or not.

To do a master cylinder rebuild PROPERLY...PROPERLY....to make sure its done right, safely and is worth the hassle...requires only 3 things really.

1. You need to be good enough with tools to inspect it and measure it. So it takes maybe 3 minutes to pull one apart. You want to wash it out with hot water and oil it lightly...for the moment...so you can inspect it without it rusting further.

If its heavily scored....which happens only from debris and grit getting into the brake fluid...because the pistons do not actually touch the bore....or if its heavily rust pitted....as long as the scores and pits are not more than about .003" deep...you can reuse it after a light honing....a very light honing.

The the key part of inspecting is measuring the bore. Yes...you can get away with a good caliper near the top of the cylinder but a better way is with a telescopic gauge and a micrometer. The BEST way is with a small bore micrometer or dial gauge...but thats an expensive piece of kit.

The key you are looking for is that when the bore of the MC becomes more than .005" larger than the piston heads....its too large to safely rebuild.

The typical factory range of tolerance is .002" to .005" larger than the bore. The problem is that a great many of the MC's come from the factory already at .003" to .004". Still plenty in spec....but not really rebuildable if you have to hone one to get rid of pits and scoring in the .003" range.

2. If the bore is still sized right and not excessively pitted or scored....You need to buy a very fine grit flexhone. 800 grit is ideal. 600 grit is fine. It will run you about $35.

The object is NOT to hone the bore out oversized. Its to put a slight tooth on it to allow a fine lubricating film of fluid for the seal cups to operate without any actual abrasion and to deburr any rough spots.

3. If you are going to assemble, install and bleed immediately...you can use brake fluid for a lube. If you are going to shelve it for over a week....buy some DEDICATED brake assembly lubricant.

Rock auto has kits for about $42
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309990&cc=1441346&jsn=403

So between lube, a hone and a kit...you are probably at about $110 and some work with shipping. But you keep a nice OEM cylinder in play for another decade or so.

But you have to have the time on your hands to be able to strip the MC, inspect and measure to decide whether its worth ordering a kit....or if its too far gone and you should just order a new complete cylinder.

Rebuilding a master cylinder is about 1.5-2.0 hours max including cleaning but not including external paint.

As for what Rockauto stocks in new cylinders....I would go with the Centric. I have seen a lot of crap from IAP.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...inder,1836

Here is a stock ATE for $179
http://www.busdepot.com/211611021aa

About the same price at Cip1 for an ATE.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-211-611-021-AAGR

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679160

Here is a basic how to write on on rebuilding and MC problems. By the way...DO NOT buy any NOS brake MC's. New German or new centric or even new raybestos....but if you opt for a remanufactured cylinder...do it yourself.

Ray
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Thank You Ray - this is very helpful and detailed information.
I'm comfortable doing the rebuild work but I'm inexperienced in terms of determining whether or not the MC has enough life left for a rebuild.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

What made that lighter colored mark on the bottom of the booster? If it's hit something and is bent that will definitely cause a binding pedal.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

That mark is from me and a wire brush in my drill. I was trying to get a sense of how much rust/corrosion was/is on the servo.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

I had this on my '73 a while back. It was something in the linkage, where the rod goes into the booster.

I used some silicone spray lube a few times over a few days to let it get worked in there. I used the little tube that comes on the can to get it under the rubber boot.That took care of the problem and have had no issues since.

Something like that might be worth a try before tearing the master cylinder all apart.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Oh....sorry...forgot to answer the other question. Your brake pedal is on a pivot pin....and it has a pushrod attached to it that pushes on the pistons. It is held to the pedal with a pin and circlip. Its a rotating joint. If its rusty it can drag.

Measuring is pretty easy. For a lot of precison work....I would not recomend these. But for occasional work they do fine

https://m.harborfreight.com/6-piece-telescoping-ga...20provided

Just like any other tool....really fine ones will cost. A set of Starret are $275 and worth every penny. Id you can afford a little more for something you WILL use again.....these are worthy.

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_i...G3EALw_wcB

But you need a 1" micrometer to work with them. If you are really careful and have a GOOD electronic or dial caliper you can get away with it for this one task. When you get to that point I will he happy to explain the use of both the telescopic gauges and the caliper or micrometer here.

The object if you buy telescopic gauges is to clamp the cylinder to sometjing so you do not have to hold it...vise C-clamp etc.....measure the piston heads.....and write that down. Then manually open the micrometer or caliper to .005" larger than what it reads....and take a bore meazurement with the telescopic gauge and fit it in to see the differene.

Be patient and take your time and take about 20 measurements over about,10 minutes.....just to get the hang of using this gauge..... practice. You will be fine.

So how do you know if the pits are over. 003"....well Im used to doing it.....but do the measurements. If you have room enough left to hone.....then do a quick hone. It takes less than a minute.
Then measure again. For example if by honing you oversized the bore by .001"....and ots still in good enough spec.....and the pits have devreased in diameter or width by half.....you know they were only about .002" deep. Small pits of .003" deep the cups can seal when they run over them.
Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

1) in front of the brake booster there is a rod that goes up to the brake pedal. Spray the pivot point with some penetrating oil or even just oil the pivot.

2) Spray the brake cluster are with some oil or even WD40. White lithium grease etc.

3) look at your floor mat and be sure it isn't rubbing on the brake. If it does then spray a little silicone lube on it.

I haven't seen a cast iron master or slave cylinder worth rebuilding in 40 years. The rust pits them so bad that by the time one knows it the pits are too deep. Last one I did was on a Sunnen hone in 1976 in So Cal when the bus had something like 50,000 miles on it. I think we used to redo the Fiat ones but they were aluminum and even that was a crap shoot because of electrolysis.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
1) in front of the brake booster there is a rod that goes up to the brake pedal. Spray the pivot point with some penetrating oil or even just oil

2) Spray the brake cluster are with some oil or even WD40. White lithium grease etc.

3) look at your floor mat and be sure it isn't rubbing on the brake. If it does then spray a little silicone lube on it.

I haven't seen a cast iron master or slave cylinder worth rebuilding in 40 years. The rust pits them so bad that by the time one knows it the pits are too deep. Last one I did was on a Sunnen hone in 1976 in So Cal when the bus had something like 50,000 miles on it. I think we used to redo the Fiat ones but they were aluminum and even that was a crap shoot because of electrolysis.

Yep...it CAN be that way......but its about 50/50 on rebuild ability...and almost all is due neglect.

You either catch them before they are shot and hopefully measurememts tell you that the cylinder started life with more than .0015" of meat to spare for honing.......or not.

The key now....is that if you find one...rebuild it.....and now that we know that good german metal is hard to find and that 98% of remans for sale are poorly made, oversized junk with non standard pistons and seals.......going forward......change the fluid like clockwork every 2 years and just put new seals and flap valves every 5 years.....they will last forever.

The cylinders never wear at all and neither do the pistons. They dont touch each other. The only thing that destroys a brake master cylinder is rust and corrosion.

Honing is simple. No machines required...unless you are honing them oversized.....and there have been no oversized pistons available in at least 3 decades. You will be honing just to clean them up. If they cannot be cleaned up within the .001" to .002" available difference between bore and piston.....then they are junk.

There will be no MC bores that need to be striaghtened.....so for clean up.....a honing machine is unnecessarily. Again.....the pistons make NO contact with the bore and the cups are incapable of wearing the bore. It can either be cleaned up......or its shot.

Now...going oversized to put in steel or brass sleeves......requires a mill......and real machine work....or you can do it with a honing machine......if you have tons of time. The result is the same. Ray
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Have you looked to see if the pedal return spring is broken? They do break.
Or pedal partly seized on shaft?
In the uk with our salty winter roads, both these are common.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

to anyone thinking of rebuilding their master or slave cylinders after reading this thread, just be prepared to throw your money away. If the pits in the master are deep enough to cause the seals to leak, or to tear them up, the pits are usually too deep to hone out. FACT

Rebuilding a caliper is different because the pits are usually in an area that the seal doesn't come in contact with.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
to anyone thinking of rebuilding their master or slave cylinders after reading this thread, just be prepared to throw your money away. If the pits in the master are deep enough to cause the seals to leak, or to tear them up, the pits are usually too deep to hone out. FACT

No....sorry....thats not a fact at all. Its a possibility.....not a FACT.

An actual FACT....is that pits that are .003" deep or when using a 45-50 durometer EPDM seal are not a problem and they seal fine.

Where most people will have a problem is instantly assuming that the pits are so deep that they will leak....and not investing any time measuring the cylinder FIRST.....and then they hone the shit out of the cylinder....trying to TOTALLY get rid of pits whose depth may or may not have any effect on the sealing....which is stupid.....and then the cylinder is beyond the maximum diameter specification.....meaning it will fail even if it is perfectly smooth.

And it costs virtually nothing compared to buying a new cylinder or a crappier quality cylinder...to find out by measuring the bore.
So instead of instantly throwing one away...invest a little time....very little time....to actually measure and find out and learn something.

Rust in cylinders causes two problems:

1. Rust causes raised peaks as it blooms out of the metal. Those are abrasive to the cups. The first step is honing JUST ENOUGH....to deburr the bore.

Also....you do not want to hone with a coarse or even fine hone....it must be extra fine...and your stroke should be short....about 0.5" to 0.75" max (on a full length lap or lapping mandrel).....and slow in cycle rate.....about 1.5 seconds to 2 seconds per direction....so as not to create a discernable hatch pattern....because FACT.....virtually no master cylinders come from the factory with a "cross hatch" pattern.....because they are LAPPED. These are not piston rings....they a rubber seal cups. They do not need to be broken in. Cross hatch patterns destroy sealing cup edges in very short order.

The exception to this is with brass bore sleeves because the metal is softer and does not cut from the honing abrasive as much as its displaced...similar to a rolled thread. You can get away with a slightly more coarse hone and some visual hone marks.

2. It removes metal....the pits. About .003" is the limit that EPDM can flex into. So hone just a few strokes...clean and measure....and observe the pits. If you change tue bore by .0003" and the pits decrease visibly in diameter.....they are very shallow.

I am not sure what caliper rebuilding has to do with this thread....because caliper bores do not need to be honed....ever.....unless a sliding type caliper where the caliper bore moves across the seal like a girling type....is being used.

In fixed type calipers....the bore has nothing to do with piston sealing at all. Its only a guide b9re for the piston. As long as it's moderately smooth....you can have scratches and pits all over it....with no effect as long as they do not cause piston drag.
Nowhere the piston itself needs to be nearly glass smooth.

Rebuilding a fixed type caliper like ours is totally different because the pits are in an area that the seal doesn't come in contact with.

A caliper is totally different....because the seal does not move. Its a compression seal in a slanted "land" (depending on make and model for the slanted land).

A caliper seal CAN seal into pits and up to about .010" deep...and as long as a deep pit or groove like that does not span the width of the seal it is fine....though you really should keep them below .005" deep if.

If you want to learn something and possibly preserve a good cylinder.....do some measuring and checking. Its just not that hard. Ray
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

I'm glad to report that, thanks to the good advice here, I cleaned and lubed the contact points as suggested and the pedal comes right back as designed.

I still am having an occasional issue with too much vacuum so that the pedal travels too far on a second application. If I release the pedal and re-apply, it has the correct amount of resistance and travel. In either instance, I have full brake stopping capability. Am working on the servo itself as it's missing the air vent on the rod side. I also need to double check the hoses as I don't think the ones currently installed are actually vacuum hoses but intended for fuel or brake use.

Per the debate between Steve and Ray, I don't have enough experience to comment but appreciate both points of view. If I need to replace the MC, will probably look for a new unit since I simply could not make a well-informed and accurate assessment of its condition.

Thanks, Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Pedal Return Question Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I'm glad to report that, thanks to the good advice here, I cleaned and lubed the contact points as suggested and the pedal comes right back as designed.

I still am having an occasional issue with too much vacuum so that the pedal travels too far on a second application. If I release the pedal and re-apply, it has the correct amount of resistance and travel. In either instance, I have full brake stopping capability. Am working on the servo itself as it's missing the air vent on the rod side. I also need to double check the hoses as I don't think the ones currently installed are actually vacuum hoses but intended for fuel or brake use.

Per the debate between Steve and Ray, I don't have enough experience to comment but appreciate both points of view. If I need to replace the MC, will probably look for a new unit since I simply could not make a well-informed and accurate assessment of its condition.

Thanks, Jeff

Glad it worked out Jeff - that is the wisest decision. I've rebuilt many back in the 1970's and wouldn't even think of it today regardless what Ray thinks. As to the super boost, you might check the rotors and drums to be sure they aren't dragging. If the rubber hoses to the calipers and drums are the originals they need to be replaced as they swell on the inside and cause some weird issues. Also - the brake vacuum doesn't change enough to feel the difference if the hoses are passing the engine vacuum forward. There is a check valve at the back so one should check that. The missing forward hose simply provides somewhat clean air. It goes from the forward port into the inside of the panel behind the left dogleg. The assumption is that the air in there is less dusty than just freestanding under the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: