Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original made in Germany roof rack restoration
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRCRUZ73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

So the other day I found this original made in Germany roof rack on a local Facebook garage sale page . The owner didnt know where or how there parents acquired it they found it in the garage as they were cleaning out the barn . The wood is shot but everything else is there .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have removed the wood because its warped and split and broken in a few spots . But to take the wood off i had to remove the aluminum rivets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Nice find!

This might sound crazy but someone might actually buy that old wood from you - sometimes people want old-looking wood if they have a ratty car
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRCRUZ73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Got all my new oak wood pieces cut and test fit along with my stained test piece too .
then I pulled all the oak out and stained all of the other pieces so I can seal them tomorrow afternoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Stain/linseed oil etc, but no varnish as it will just peel! My '60's Volvo/VW rack is similar to yours.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

You didn't need to remove the rivets to get the wood out or put new slats in if you were going to use all new wood.

German Folks
MRCRUZ73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

I managed to get a little more done on the roof rack today. Since I took out the original rivets I used aluminum binding screws that look like rivets.
here's with all new oak slats and the screws installed .

also I forgot to add that I sanded the frame down and resprayed it a color called titanium silver.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Those sex bolts look great.

German Folks
MRCRUZ73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Those sex bolts look great.
Yes I agree , they were the closest thing to the original rivets I could get my hands on that looked original enough to use .I didnt want to use bolts with acorn nuts it wouldn't have had the same look .
MRCRUZ73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Well i finally got the roof rack mounted on the beetle today and took it for a ride into town afterwards ! No wind noise till over 55mph and it wasnt horrible in any way.

markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

Does anyone know what year or years this particular style of original VW made in Germany roof rack was offered as an option?
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

It ceased being printed in accessory catalogs in 58/59. In 1960 on all rack references were of the new steel models.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Original made in Germany roof rack restoration Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
You didn't need to remove the rivets to get the wood out or put new slats in if you were going to use all new wood.

How do you remove the wood with the rivets in place? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: