Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 Split Restoration & Intro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zvonimir1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Really nice job!
mnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Absolutley stunning interior/exterior combo!

I want to paint my crew cab in the same color but am having difficulties finding a shop that can mix the correct L51 Bordeaux red. Do you have any further color codes or mixture recipe that I could use to give to the paint shop?

The Glasurite code L51 is too old for them to find it seems...
fusca66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very beautiful car, great job...nice!!!
Sorry for my ignorance, but what good is this button below the steering column? Is to horn?

mdvanderploeg wrote:
Now that the horn brush holder has been repaired, we were able to install the steering column today. Here's a close up of the brush holder that Mika Virtanen created the same day I asked him about it. Worked like a charm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

It's the carbon brush holder for the horn. Connects the horn circuit to the steering column so that it maintains contact when the column rotates.
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Beautiful day for a ride in the Split.....to the local craft beer shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Do you plan to take it to any VW shows, such as the BugOut?
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to do that if the event is near Raleigh. I'm not ready for a long haul yet. I spent 6 months chasing down an issue with intermittent starting.....turned out to be the starter (yeah, big surprise). The old starter was rebuilt, so I ignored that as the problem until every other possibility was eliminated.

Then, dealt with getting the hand brake to work correctly. Hard to find parts, and it's a system that's unnecessarily complex and challenging to reassemble (at least for me). With a single circuit brake system, I felt uncomfortable driving very far with no back up.

So, everything is finally sorted out enough for me to feel fairly confident driving it around town. Outside of that...not so much, yet!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
So, everything is finally sorted out enough for me to feel fairly confident driving it around town. Outside of that...not so much, yet!

i really need to put you in touch with my buddy Kurt in germany, He has towed his Eriba Puck camper to Turkey and Greece many times with his 52 split. Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to do that if the event is near Raleigh. I'm not ready for a long haul yet. I spent 6 months chasing down an issue with intermittent starting.....turned out to be the starter (yeah, big surprise). The old starter was rebuilt, so I ignored that as the problem until every other possibility was eliminated.

Then, dealt with getting the hand brake to work correctly. Hard to find parts, and it's a system that's unnecessarily complex and challenging to reassemble (at least for me). With a single circuit brake system, I felt uncomfortable driving very far with no back up.

I went to the indoor Winter Volksfest in January--it was a long drive from Virginia Beach in my New Beetle, but it was worth it (I got some necessary parts for my Super Beetle and saw a ton of VWs which I'd never seen before). It was in Raleigh, so, if next year's is in the same place, you should take your Split! Plus, it would be cool to meet another TheSamba member in person.

Here's the link to the January 2018 event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/904259983059206/
mdvanderploeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, I'm being paranoid. I used to drive my '65 Beetle 600 miles between College and home....one way. Just not there yet with the '50. I did too much work on it myself!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1950 Split Restoration & Intro Reply with quote

mdvanderploeg wrote:
Yeah, I know, I'm being paranoid. I used to drive my '65 Beetle 600 miles between College and home....one way. Just not there yet with the '50. I did too much work on it myself!

Oh, I totally get it...there's no way that I'm taking my Super that far once I finally get it going. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: