Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo cam help for 2024cc
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

want a 2nd opinion? send us a Photo of your 2054 Wink ,,Thanks,Madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

Would appreciate your thoughts before I tear everything apart again.
There's definetely a reasonable amount of length I can get rid of, really need to get the car up in the air to take pictures of the whole system.
I tried to make the header as equal length as possible but now realise for a turbo is non needed so there's extra length there which can be removed.
Primaries 1.5" , collector in to turbo 2.5"

I should also explain what the problem is, once you lift off and the WG opens it takes an age to build boost again.
My gearbox is a 4.12 and tires are 195/50/16

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

Hi. The header looks nice. Shure it could have been shorter, but i dont think thats your problem. 38mm is perfect.
The k26 is a laggy old ketchup turbo. Change the turbo to a newer design one.
I ran a td04hl-15G on a 2276 and it spooled fast.
And by the way, your air distribution is bad. Check the plugs on cyl 1 vs 2
Reg c
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

Probably a combo of both gearing and that turbo ,, I would try a taller tire first Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with that header. It's a beautiful piece of work and would be a shame to cut it up.

I'll bet it is the turbo......

From the little reading I did, I found one website that said it is capable of 350-375 hp. That would definitely make it too big for your goals.

Another post said it was a laggy turbo on a 2.5L engine so that makes sense you are not getting the performance you want out of it.

Size the turbo for your hp goals and the amount of boost you want to run.

A turbo capable of lots of overhead will be laggy....a turbo that puts out only what your goal is will be insta-boost.

If you get a turbo capable of 250-300 hp you will probably have exactly what you are looking for.
There are many to choose from in that CFM.

Here is a calculator to use to find out how much CFM or lbs./min you need for your hp target.
Fill in your engine size and just use the defaults on the ones you don't really know like air temps, VE and B.S.F.C.
Do put in your hp goal, Max rpm, and engine size in C.I.

It's a pretty good calculator.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcboost.html

My guess is a turbo the size I'm running would be almost perfect for you but it might not be easy to incorporate it into your system unless you get rid of the stock wastegate and use an external one.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

Just because something looks cool DOES NOT mean it will work correctly. There is a science that needs to be followed to make a correct header.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Just because something looks cool DOES NOT mean it will work correctly. There is a science that needs to be followed to make a correct header.

So you are saying CB's header is no good???? His is not far off from their design and they use 1.625" tubing.

His header design has to fit his car. Others have had a similar setup with great results....It's a VW engine so no header can be ideal but that is not to say it won't work great......

My header should be an example of poor design but it works pretty good thank you..his header is not the problem.

He originally was going to use a K03 turbo but someone talked him out of it.
He should have done it his own way instead of listening to someone else.

That K03 probably would have done exactly what he wanted.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
There is nothing wrong with that header. It's a beautiful piece of work and would be a shame to cut it up.

From the little reading I did, I found one website that said it is capable of 350-375 hp. That would definitely make it too big for your goals.

Another post said it was a laggy turbo on a 2.5L engine so that makes sense you are not getting the performance you want out of it.

A turbo capable of lots of overhead will be laggy....a turbo that puts out only what your goal is will be insta-boost.

If you get a turbo capable of 250-300 hp you will probably have exactly what you are looking for.

Here is a calculator to use to find out how much CFM or lbs./min you need for your hp target.
Fill in your engine size and just use the defaults on the ones you don't really know like air temps, VE and B.S.F.C.

My guess is a turbo the size I'm running would be almost perfect for you but it might not be easy to incorporate it into your system unless you get rid of the stock wastegate and use an external one.

I really appreciate every ones replies and input, its a great help.
I'm starting to lean toward that pudding of a turbo being the problem too.
If you notice I'm already running a 38mm tial external gate.

The reason I went away from the KO3 was heat. Everyone I spoke to said it would choke the engine too much generating heat. Heat = killer of aircooled motor.
Question now is what to go for which is external gated and similar in fitment.
That said I'm only wanting to run 10-12psi maximum.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo cam help for 2024cc Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:
clonebug wrote:

I really appreciate every ones replies and input, its a great help.
I'm starting to lean toward that pudding of a turbo being the problem too.
If you notice I'm already running a 38mm tial external gate.

The reason I went away from the KO3 was heat. Everyone I spoke to said it would choke the engine too much generating heat. Heat = killer of aircooled motor.
Question now is what to go for which is external gated and similar in fitment.
That said I'm only wanting to run 10-12psi maximum.

The K03 turbo comes on many 2.0L cars.....My Wife has a 2013 VW CC 2.0L and it has that same turbo.
It has so much low to mid range torque I never give it more than half throttle.
I would bet that turbo would get you the results your are looking for.
It's capable of 245 plus hp.
It will not choke your motor........

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: