Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Bob,

With the actual weber 34 icts the weak point is the throttle shaft that just rides in the carb body (no bearing) so it wears out the soft aluminum and then gas/vacuum leaks past. My educated guess is the chinese 34's will be even softer, and wear out sooner.

Do you have any idf stuff?

He's building a single port Jeff.
I made the same suggestion yesterday in another thread he posted in.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Bob,

With the actual weber 34 icts the weak point is the throttle shaft that just rides in the carb body (no bearing) so it wears out the soft aluminum and then gas/vacuum leaks past. My educated guess is the chinese 34's will be even softer, and wear out sooner.

Thanks for the fyi, yes that makes since now lol.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

no, but how would I run dual idf's on a single port? My intention is to run this motor I am building now until it detonates. Since it is my first build from the short block out AND I used as many of the old school hot rod secrets that I know, I expect it to last maybe 30 seconds, anything else is gravy.
Before this motor does crap out I hope to build a 1955 sp. The bug came with a sp motor and I want to keep it that way, but I want ALOT more power.
Do you have a set of idf's for sale?
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Bob,

I read and appreciate the info. Thats why this is called research. I know a guy around here that does bushings so having new ones put in before I run the carbs might be the way to go. I am still curious about the dimensions of the notch between the runners on the vw dp intake
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

Someone was suggesting IDF's because they thought you were building a dual port. So now there is confusion, is it a single port or dual port?

If single port, dual ICT's, EPC's, or hadrons.

If dual port, you have the above options OR take advantage of the opportunity to run dual throat carbs like IDF's, DRLA's, DCOE's, HPMX, or D Empis.

I personally run dual 1 bb's on my car and I like them but I'm in no way going to debate that dual 2 bbl's wouldn't be better because on a dual port they are IDEAL.

One thing though, whatever you do, DON'T overcarb.

-Frank

-Frank
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion. The easy answer is I am building both. I am just finishing up my 1679 DP motor.
Then I intend to get a second case I have opened up and the sp heads I have opened up and rebuilt. That sp motor wants to be a 1955.
The 1679 is my first build from the short block out, the 1955 will be my first complete build.
Thats the whole reason for going with the itc/epc clones. I can't plop down $500+ for a set of dual bbl's and then plop down ANOTHER $500 or so for a different set of carbs. This way seems ideal on the surface, all I would have to do is buy different intakes.
And I really like the look. To me it reminds me of growing up in the 70's and 80's
Thanks for the read
p0rschenut69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

I installed a single Weber 40idf on a single port 1600 with the EMPI cast aluminium manifold ends and the center section of a Weber style manifold meant to work on a Dual Port with manifold heat tubes and it sure worked well with an 009. It was many years ago but I do remember that it worked really nice and I really liked that engine. It had a stock cam and 1500 Heads. I had installed 30mm Venturies.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: To EMPI or not to EMPI... (34 EPC) Reply with quote

It's true
MOST single carb systems actually work better on a singleport, at least SIZE wise.
A SP does not need a smaller carb and intake than a DP, it actually wants slightly larger all else the same.

Or the truth is reducing the extra volume of the intake manifold allows the intake tubes and carb to get away with being slightly larger.

The factory DP intake SHOULD have been a bit smaller and the SP should have been a big bigger, but VW made it the opposite?
I wonder why?

Maybe in development they made the dual port intake bigger enough that it had more power than the SP, because people would be disappointed if it didn't. Embarassed
Emissions KILLED the singleport, but in mild form a SP bug could have outrun a DP Laughing Just building it like it should have been.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: