Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1974 super
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Btw digging the mirrors Wink

They're a little weird, I'm kind of upset they were added. As for the wheels I am going to paint them silver in the spring.
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Yep, paint the rims silver. They look good, stock, with the black caps.

You have a clip missing from the air cleaner. Samba Classifieds.

The mirrors don't look bad. At least you have one on each side. I only have one, and installing a stock one to match on the right side is not going to be easy.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

The seat rails were nice and rusted making it so I couldn't move the seat back. I'm 6'3 and 350lbs so of course I needed to make it go all the way back. Well with a ton of Aerokroil and a mallet I finally got the seat two notches back. I also lubed the driver side window tracks since the door panel is MIA. I also got the small pop out windows on the doors lubed so they could open again. Lots of lubing today. Its sitting at my parents house because my Mercedes has yet to get an offer. Hopefully someone this monday will take it off my hands. Its also been very cold for Washington State and my parents only have a car port so I'm working on it when the sun is shining.
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Let the bug sit for a week and half and now the seat slides back and forth nicely! I was going to do a oil change but my FLAPS did not have an oil strainer gasket set, I don't have a drain plug so I have to order a gasket set off the net. I also have to order a carb gasket set, some knobs for my fresh air fan, heater tubes from the fan to the heater boxes.

Question, I'd like to get to my fresh air fan but there is a metal panel in the trunk with 10 screws but even after I take them out the panel doesn't budge, is there a way to get this off?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

The panel in question is glued in in addition to the 10 screws. You just need to start poking in one corner to pull it loose. If you dent it, don't worry, that's one part that is not going to break the bank!

That is a nice super! The dented fender should be taken off the car, I am sure you will find a body shop that will knock it into shape for a decent price. I had a similar dent, paid $70 to have it straightened. We should realize that the metal of these cars were optimized for pressing tools. That means that it is pliable, extremely nice to work with. Don't even think about putting a chinese crap replica fender in there, that fender can be saved. While it is off, you have it painted and voila. Add a black tape in the bumper center, and maybe a chrome strip around the windshield, and you will have a real nice car!

When I did my Super, I was encouraged by others to ditch the OG fenders and go for Taiwan crap. I can only thank the old guy in the garage who convinced me that it was better to spend twice as much straightening them, instead of having thin, rusting, china steel there.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

The original seal on your air box is made from a kind of sticky, high-density sponge. This seal is great for keeping water--that enters from the upper vent--inside the air box so it can drain out of the drain hole at the bottom, back of the airbox.

After removing the screws, you have to grab one end of the cover with both hands, and tug at it. Eventually, the seal will release, so you can just keep pulling on that one end until the cover is free.

If you can save this original seal, do so. Try to reshape it if gaps appear. If it shreds, you'll have to replace it with some other type of seal because if it leaks, your trunk will get soaked.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you! I like the idea of pounding out the dent to keep it o.g. If I go the route of replacement it'd be an original from a junk yard or off of craigslist. Thanks about the airbox seal as well.
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Got some goodies in the mail from CIP1.

New cardboard heater tube
German fuel line
German Vacuum line
Cap, rotor
speedo cable

It'll be an exciting Saturday, hopefully just the morning! I was a little sad to not get a cookie in my package as per usual from Vancafe. Razz I'm assuming that just the normal fuel line clamps will be fine since its not too high pressure like on an FI system?
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Everything went smooth that I did yesterday on the beetle. Its therapeutic for sure to work on your own car. I was a lube tech/manager for about a year so I definitely got burnt out on doing them. This was nice on the other hand. Replaced some vacuum lines as well. Fuel line will be next Smile
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Just drove from Poulsbo to Hamma Hamma along 101 south here on the Olympic Peninsula. I need new tie rod ends and control arm bushings for sure. My steering wheel would pulsate between 45-55 mph. I'd also get a surging of power and the engine would die at a stop some times. I'm pretty sure I need a carb rebuild as well. Fun stuff! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Volkzbitz, there in Washington, restores German carburetors.

As far as the front end goes, it's best to simply rebuild all the tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, etc. Topline sells the best kits for this. Make sure your front rims are not bent in the least and that your front tires are perfectly round. New struts are probably required, too. Once this is done, the car rides like a dream.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

alright for the last month the car has been just dandy except the front suspension which is a work in progress. Brake lights have been stuck on for I don't know how long now, well after work today I FINALLY decided to look at the master cylinder to see if the wires were connected (the rear plug had popped off) well I put it on and the lights are still stuck on. I'm guessing its just the switches themselves? Eh?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Bruskyvw wrote:
alright for the last month the car has been just dandy except the front suspension which is a work in progress. Brake lights have been stuck on for I don't know how long now, well after work today I FINALLY decided to look at the master cylinder to see if the wires were connected (the rear plug had popped off) well I put it on and the lights are still stuck on. I'm guessing its just the switches themselves? Eh?

Disconnect both switches and see if the lights are still on. It could be getting power from a different source. If the lights go out, then yeah, the switches will be needed.

Nice pics! Car looks good.

Man I need to get mine going.
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Well its been a year and six days since my last post, having an idle issue where the car starts fine but has an okay idle but if you feather the gas it sounds like its missing, and then when it warms up the idle goes up to I want to say 2,000 rpm and the car is drive-able until you let off the gas, engine will want to die unless I feather the gas. Idle cannot be adjusted for some reason either. I've disassembled the carb and cleaned it out with no real change. It is the original CALI carb from 74.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

Bruskyvw wrote:
Well its been a year and six days since my last post, having an idle issue where the car starts fine but has an okay idle but if you feather the gas it sounds like its missing, and then when it warms up the idle goes up to I want to say 2,000 rpm and the car is drive-able until you let off the gas, engine will want to die unless I feather the gas. Idle cannot be adjusted for some reason either. I've disassembled the carb and cleaned it out with no real change. It is the original CALI carb from 74.

Send the carb to Tim at Volkzbitz.com for him to do his magic to it. The best money you can spend.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

carb fixed. IVE SEARCHED FOR MY NEXT ISSUE AND CANT SEEM TO FIND MUCH INFO. I have zero electrical. Nadda. ZIP. Replaced the battery and nothing. Is this "search for shorts" scenario or.... could it be a faulty light switch? does the main power go through the light switch?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

First, did you check all your fuses? Check those and the tabs at the fuse box for corrosion.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

my fuse box is a mess. but it was running while a mess just over a month ago.
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

It was the stupid connection under the back seat (spade connection encased in a plastic housing)
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1974 super Reply with quote

New carb put on, timing set and a new frunk seal. Now I need to get to work on electrical. I'm also curious as how the water drains out of the blower motor housing/ wiper motor housing. Is that hole on the left side of the "box" where water should be draining out of? I'm confused as to where any water would go that runs in through the fresh air vent in front of the windshield.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: