Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The importance of choosing the correct oil weight.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

So sulfur in molecular form just acts like elemental sulfur??? Just like carbon in CO2 just acts like elemental carbon??? hardly. An element combined in a molecule can have very different properties than when in a pure form. The difference in sulfur found in ZDDP is going be be very different from the sulfur found in an extreme pressure additive, especially a traditional one. There is a reason ZDDP is added to motor oil and for the most part reactive sulfur EP lubricants are not. One doesn't cause excessive acid to buildup in the oil and the other does.

Quote:
And that right there is the main point. Its not that many diesel oils CAN'T be used in gasoline cars.....and may carry the right S code.....but they should not be used

Your claim seems to be that diesel engines are not effected by sulfur derived acids while gasoline engines are. This claim is just unsupportable and your thoughts are backwards.

I see no reason to think that the API would say a particular oil is okay to use in a gasoline engine if it might cause significant harm as you imply.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
So sulfur in molecular form just acts like elemental sulfur??? Just like carbon in CO2 just acts like elemental carbon??? hardly. An element combined in a molecule can have very different properties than when in a pure form. The difference in sulfur found in ZDDP is going be be very different from the sulfur found in an extreme pressure additive, especially a traditional one. There is a reason ZDDP is added to motor oil and for the most part reactive sulfur EP lubricants are not. One doesn't cause excessive acid to buildup in the oil and the other does.

Quote:
And that right there is the main point. Its not that many diesel oils CAN'T be used in gasoline cars.....and may carry the right S code.....but they should not be used

Your claim seems to be that diesel engines are not effected by sulfur derived acids while gasoline engines are. This claim is just unsupportable and your thoughts are backwards.

I see no reason to think that the API would say a particular oil is okay to use in a gasoline engine if it might cause significant harm as you imply.

No....diesel engines are MOSTLY not affected by sulfur in the oil at the level of gasoline engines because:

1. they have no catalyst to affect

2. Diesel engine blow by into the crankcase has a lot more particulate soot and metals that sulfur is part of the package designed to deal with.

3. Sure...an element "reacted" and comhined to produce a different molecule (a compound) CAN have very different properties that are quite different than the original element had.....however....you keep hanging up on some belief that sulfur has been blended and reacted into some kind of "third party" unreactive molecule.......when it is in FACT.....it is a free occurring element in the petroleum oil stocks they use to blendthe oils...and is also in fact an ADDITIVE....an ADDITIVE .....into diesel oil.

Also.....almost all of the oils listed as diesel oils that have low enough sulfur and zddp to still be listed as usable in gasoline engine....are in fact formulated for the most part to be able to be used in LOW SULFUR passenger car diesel engines. Yes....you can get away with those oils in gasoline engines.

My comment wad that because of the elevated sulfur content.....and what that does over time to oil acidity.....a known fact...perhaps you SHOULDNT use them....not that you couldnt.

Also looking at testing of actual trace element content from numerous sites....do not assume that the blending is spot on. Even in the best oils it varies widely.

The API simply tests oils. They do not police them or certify them.

And.....this is an oil weight thread. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I have to agree with Ray for the most part. I have to deal with ratings and such to pick oils for the machinery I build.
But.
If you change it a lot....as in "I dont have an oil filter" lot. Then it is most likely you will not see any appreciable build up.

I certainly would not choose diesel oil for this app. But you are probably ok......ish...

Try running 10w30 to 10w40 oil to get a feel for what it needs in weight.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

My former engine machinist (big block Mopar racer in his spare time) told me "run a medium quality 30 wt'ish oil and change it often." when I asked him these same question years ago.

I think it still applies.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Thanks OPRN. Why does every discussion about motor oil have to turn into a shit-show? Last I checked this is the oil WEIGHT thread, but it has degraded into another what type to use thread, with the usual acrimonious dick wagging unrelated to viscosity.

The correct viscosity to use has a lot to do with internal clearances and materials used, and complicated by an aircooled design that may or may not have a thermostat, and uses an oil cooling system based on pressure over actual oil temperatures. Those building engines have some knowledge of the insides that gives them particularly important input. I can understand why they avoid the fight an oil thread turns into; however, I would really like to hear what weight(s) to use, and when, and why, from those supporting their work and our hobby.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I truly believe oil weights are a regional thing just like clothing. The further south you go it seems the heavier the recommendation. Here in our part no one carries anything heavier than 15w40 diesel oil in quantities large enough to do an oil change. You have to special order it as they don't want to get stuck with a dead end product on the shelf no one uses in anything.

Last year I was having trouble with the oil pump not holding a prime and the pressure dropping suddenly on my new to me, well used 1600. Someone (in the south naturally) told me it was because a VW engine NEEDS 20w50 oil. Well I have never in 40 years of driving VWs used it but what the heck... Had to go to 3 local oil venders to find 3 liters of the stuff and it was almost double the price of normal oil.

Worth a try but no, it did not fix the issue.

So up here we wear sweaters and jackets in the summer sometimes and use much lighter oil.

Last edited by oprn on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I have to agree with Ray for the most part. I have to deal with ratings and such to pick oils for the machinery I build.
But.
If you change it a lot....as in "I dont have an oil filter" lot. Then it is most likely you will not see any appreciable build up.

I certainly would not choose diesel oil for this app. But you are probably ok......ish...

Try running 10w30 to 10w40 oil to get a feel for what it needs in weight.

Geez, I got over 250k out of my last VW Type 4 engine running all fleet oils. Guess I did something wrong. Oh and by the way I don't change my oil often (typically once a year regardless of the miles) as I don't believe in changing it while it still has thousands of miles of use left in it. Maybe I should start changing my oil monthly, use some expensive specialty oil, and trailer my rigs to shows as that seems to be the norm for way too many folks here. Sorry but my rigs are daily drivers and get treated as such, there is no reason to baby them.

Don't know what your engines looks like inside, but mine are shiny clean even with high mileage and lots of years on them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I know these oil discussions always are controversial, but I enjoy reading them. It's good mental exercise. I had an old s10 that I never changed the oil, just added when it got a quart low, but it had 300k on it up to that point so I couldn't justify spending money on maintenance. Now if it was a vehicle I needed to rely on it would've gotten regular oil and filter changes, but then again I always buy the house brand shit. It's more fun for me to rebuild a engine than to stress about changing oil, lol
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Quote:

No....diesel engines are MOSTLY not affected by sulfur in the oil at the level of gasoline engines because:

1. they have no catalyst to affect

2. Diesel engine blow by into the crankcase has a lot more particulate soot and metals that sulfur is part of the package designed to deal with.

3. Sure...an element "reacted" and comhined to produce a different molecule (a compound) CAN have very different properties that are quite different than the original element had.....however....you keep hanging up on some belief that sulfur has been blended and reacted into some kind of "third party" unreactive molecule.......when it is in FACT.....it is a free occurring element in the petroleum oil stocks they use to blendthe oils...and is also in fact an ADDITIVE....an ADDITIVE .....into diesel oil.

Also.....almost all of the oils listed as diesel oils that have low enough sulfur and zddp to still be listed as usable in gasoline engine....are in fact formulated for the most part to be able to be used in LOW SULFUR passenger car diesel engines. Yes....you can get away with those oils in gasoline engines.

My comment wad that because of the elevated sulfur content.....and what that does over time to oil acidity.....a known fact...perhaps you SHOULDNT use them....not that you couldnt.

Also looking at testing of actual trace element content from numerous sites....do not assume that the blending is spot on. Even in the best oils it varies widely.

The API simply tests oils. They do not police them or certify them.

And.....this is an oil weight thread. Ray

Ray, I am sure I lack your vast experience with diesel engines oils, as I have only bought maybe 35,000 to 40,000 gallons over the years, and that was mostly Delvac 15w40 all fleet oil, so a mere pittance compared to what you with your great knowledge have bought. Since this oil was mostly for off road/industrial use and you are saying that an all fleet oil isn't correct for that application, what oil should I have been running? I guess if I had ever loss an engine due to a wear or some other oil related problem besides holes in the oil pans or dozers laying with their back with their tracks in the air, I would have learned some valuable lessons that I obviously missed out on.

Interesting that suddenly you are concerned about ruining the catalytic converters on these engines so maybe you also promote running low ZDDP GF-5 oils? Oops, I am getting forgetful, very few ACVW engines have cats. Sad Sorry. Wonder why cats even got brought up?

You don't seem to realize that SN rated diesel engine oils have higher levels of ZDDP as they typically have a second number of 40 (5w40 or 15w40) and are thus not restricted in the amount of ZDDP that can be added. This means that SN rated diesel oils are good for flat tappet VW engines. They also have robust buffer packages meaning that they can easily handle the acids you are so confused about, why was gear oil even brought up? Do you run it in your engine or something? The Total Base Numbers for an SN diesel rated oil start out at around 8-11 and are still going to be going strong 10,000 miles later, if they can handle the 500 ppm sulfur in off road diesel fuel they can easily handle the sulfur in an SN rated diesel engine oil.

The CK-4 spec is a minor incremental change from the previous CJ-4 spec, it is not a major game changer as Racer Dave claims. A CK-4, SN oil is probably as good for an air cooled VW engine as any other oil out there, including most specialty oils. Personally I like a motor oil that is readily available most anywhere I am apt to be traveling, and an SN rated diesel oil fits this requirement to a "T".
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I have a question about oil weight, regardless of brand. Gene Berg says to run 10w30 unless the temp is 80-85 most of the time, which he would then run or consider to run 10w40. I live in the nyc area and basically drive most of my miles when it’s warmer. But in this time like early spring and fall it can go into the 50s, but the summer can be really hot, like 80 and above. So I kind of fall in both camps. I have 10w40 in it right now, and as an example, it’s like 90 degrees today, and tomorrow will be even hotter. It’s a stock 1600 single port engine. What is best to run?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I have a question about oil weight, regardless of brand. Gene Berg says to run 10w30 unless the temp is 80-85 most of the time, which he would then run or consider to run 10w40. I live in the nyc area and basically drive most of my miles when it’s warmer. But in this time like early spring and fall it can go into the 50s, but the summer can be really hot, like 80 and above. So I kind of fall in both camps. I have 10w40 in it right now, and as an example, it’s like 90 degrees today, and tomorrow will be even hotter. It’s a stock 1600 single port engine. What is best to run?

A 0w40 or 5w40 would cover you winter and summer.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Will I do harm by having 10w40 in the summer? Asking because I changed it 2 weeks ago.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Will I do harm by having 10w40 in the summer? Asking because I changed it 2 weeks ago.

I would run the 5w40 over the 0w40 because of price and availability and the likelihood it will have a tougher additive package, i.e. more ZDDP. The 0w40 is what Porsche is recommending for their older engines. They should both have about the same viscosity at 212°F.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

I have a question about weight and seals. Is there a substantial difference between 10w30 and 10w40 and the effect it has on engine seals? Will one or the other potentially create more leaks etc. I’ve read some people say using the heavier oil started leaks and some say going to a thinner oil started leaks? Any credence to this?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I’ve read some people say using the heavier oil started leaks and some say going to a thinner oil started leaks? Any credence to this?

I find it best sometimes to choose an opinion of someone you trust with lots of knowledge and go from there, experiment, and evaluate what works for your car. Sometimes there’s more then one correct answer and it’s easy to get lost in all the opinions. Lots of brilliant people on this forum.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

IMO 10-30 is normal.
So, start there and go one way or another based on what your doing that isn't normal.
If you run extra hot and/or extra loose go thicker. 10-40, 15-40

Want to run in the COLD maybe be go to the 5-30or 0-30, but, in most cases I would not. These are mainly used in new cars for the sake of fuel economy, and cold starts. Vw engines warm up pretty fast.
you want to reduce wear get a full flow oil filter, get the thermostat working, get REAL air filters, then we will start worrying about wear at start up.

Synthetic oil or thinner oil sometimes will leak more, but, it isn't a big difference. If it's leaking too much fix the problem. If it's leaking a little don't sweat it(pun), it's a VW. magnesium does in some cases, literally sweat oil. the few seals on a VW should be silicone, and be compatible with any kind of oil.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I have a question about weight and seals. Is there a substantial difference between 10w30 and 10w40 and the effect it has on engine seals? Will one or the other potentially create more leaks etc. I’ve read some people say using the heavier oil started leaks and some say going to a thinner oil started leaks? Any credence to this?

The seals in general don't much care what weight oil you run. The seals only see case pressure and not oil galley pressure, so if they are going to leak it is apt to be either from straight wear and age or from something causing high case pressure such as worn rings or a clogged crankcase ventilation system.

There isn't a whole lot of difference in the viscosity of a hot 0w20 and a hot 20w50 that is going to cause the seals to react all that much differently one oil to another. All oils are going to be very thin at 240° compared to what they are like when you are pouring them out of the bottle at 80°F
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

My engine used to leak a bunch.
It leaked more with 10W30 vs. 15W40.

It didn't leak anywhere different, it just leaked more with the 30W when it was hot.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

We have a Jetta TDI that uses 5W40 wt and has a tendency to leak a small puddle from the oil cooler seals when started cold at -20 or lower. Once it warms up it stops.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: The importance of choosing the correct oil weight. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We have a Jetta TDI that uses 5W40 wt and has a tendency to leak a small puddle from the oil cooler seals when started cold at -20 or lower. Once it warms up it stops.

I have 2 Tdis and use 5w40 in them. Are you saying that it leaks because of the 5w? I remember when I first bought this bug in 2005. I think iirc I was using 10w30, then for some reason halfway through my ownership I switched to 10w40. There was no real reason to do so, probably just from reading here and the fact it’s used mostly in the warmer months. Should I be switching back to a 10w30?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 37

Jump to: