Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Here is the bus I ended up trading my 67 bug for after searching all summer.
Planning on fixing all of the rust, painting it, redoing any interior, and fixing the engine/making it reliable enough to take cross country trips with.
Was a driving bus until the guy before me couldn't get the engine to fire. He took it to his mechanic and he said there was "fuel in the oil likely due to bad fuel injectors. It probably needs a full engine rebuild"
I brought it home and drained the "oil" which looked like someone had replaced the oil with fuel, there was hardly any oil residue and it had the consistency of gas. Put new oil in it tried to start it. Engine sounds normal cranking over but does not try to start. I was getting spark. Checked the fuel pump and it was not getting an power. Hot wired the fuel pump and it pumped fuel. Hotwired it and cranked, still nothing. pulled the plugs and they were all dry. It is fuel injected.
Any clue how all of that fuel could have gotten into the case with the fuel pump not even working?
Here is the bus. Super stoked to start working on it. And one day take it on some awesome trips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Post some pics of the engine in general and a few of the coil wiring specifically, likely we can see what the issue is.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Welcome to BayWindow's
Cranks Won't Start Test

Tcash
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Nice find, Eric! Dancing

That's gonna be even sweeter when you're done with it. Keep us posted on your progress.

(I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how fuel could get into the oil via the injectors. Question )

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Any clue how all of that fuel could have gotten into the case with the fuel pump not even working?
A couple of things would need to fail for this to happen.
The Non return valve in the Electric fuel pump is leaking.

One or all of the 5 Fuel injector hanging open.

Since the gas tank sits higher than the engine, it will gravity drain into the engine if the above two fail.

Good luck
Tcash
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

I did get it started! Forgot to take more pictures though.
The plug wires were in the wrong order and the distributor was orientated wrong. I still don't have any fuel as I was having to squirt fuel into the intake(right before the throttle body) go crank it over would start and run good on the little bit of fuel I gave it and then die.
Maybe their mechanic drained the oil, filled the engine with gas, changed the timing and tried to get them to have an engine rebuild done? Haha

Link
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Replaced some hoses that were missing and I was able to get it to run. It is missing on one if not 2 cylinders and has absolutely no power down low but if you get it revved up it will move. each plug wire is getting spark so I would venture to say that a couple of the fuel injectors aren't working.

Link

Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Finally got started on the body work.
Replaced the area under the windshield. This is the first body work I have done.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Ericlottaallthat wrote:
Finally got started on the body work.
Replaced the area under the windshield. This is the first body work I have done.

Your first-time body work looks pretty good to me. It gives me confidence to tackle Chloe's body work.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

An interesting hybrid of camper conversions. Looks like a Westfalia Berlin interior with a Sportsmobile penthouse. Best of both worlds!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my body work so far. I'm about to weld the corner and fender in place. Had to dig pretty deep to get rid of all the rust back here.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

You've never done bodywork? I'm calling bs! I'm guessing you have some sort of background in welding at the very least.

Where did you get your battery tray?

Looks great though! I too like the custom setup you have with the pop top and interior.
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

I practiced on a piece of a bug body to see how thin metal welds and have built a dune buggy. So not my first time welding. I am only 18 though so not like i could have too much experience Laughing Thanks for the compliments though!

The battery tray and corner piece are from wolfsburgwest and everything else is from bus depot.
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

That's a great looking bus you've found. I like the colour combo, are you keeping it?

and well done on the work you've done up to now, top notch with such little experience.
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

I am not planning on keeping the color combo, I want happier colors. Any suggestions for fun colors? I was considering yellow and white two tone but am not set on it yet.
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Didn't have much time today but got it tack welded. I think I'm happy with how its looking/fitting. Now i just have to spend time grinding-welding-grinding-welding.....

dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

That windshield lip you have to be careful not to just weld metal in over top of the old base or you could have trouble getting your windshield to fit or not crack as your reducing the dimensions of the windshield frame itself.

If you've never done bodywork then just make sure that none of your exterior patch seams end up as raised areas - because you can't blend that.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

Ericlottaallthat wrote:
I am not planning on keeping the color combo, I want happier colors. Any suggestions for fun colors? I was considering yellow and white two tone but am not set on it yet.

Have you read the Wild Westerner thread? That is a fun color combo.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527392
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
That windshield lip you have to be careful not to just weld metal in over top of the old base or you could have trouble getting your windshield to fit or not crack as your reducing the dimensions of the windshield frame itself.

If you've never done bodywork then just make sure that none of your exterior patch seams end up as raised areas - because you can't blend that.

Kind of looks like he's got it down. Windshield lip looks great, panel fitup, nice clean flat tacks with his welding. Sometimes I do work that nice on a really good day...

Yup. I hate him already. Wink
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Sportsmobile/Westfalia Build Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Kind of looks like he's got it down. Windshield lip looks great, panel fitup, nice clean flat tacks with his welding. Sometimes I do work that nice on a really good day...

Yup. I hate him already. Wink

Well I'm not sure what he did with the windshield; he showed a pic of the lips rust holes grinded down and then the next pic the replacement metal was welded in - so I was just concerned that he may have welded the replacement metal OVER TOP of the old metal reducing the frame size and possibly guaranteeing a cracked windshield on installation. But, who knows maybe he cut the old metal completely out after that pic? Just felt it my duty to warn him as I've cracked several over the years and had frames be way off after welding.

As far as his tack welds and overall work, that makes two of us that hate him Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: