Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner now installed with pics
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the front edge first then the sides, folded over the lip but I trimmed it in the corner before it rides up the flat edge where the windshield seal goes, The seal should fit over that.
The bottom pillars were tricky and required stretching the headliner material to conform to the shape, luckily the tmi headliner material I was using was forgiving and I managed to get it to work
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kar_Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner install question Reply with quote

Quote:

Here’s how a professional does it.

If this is a liner replacement in an old car, it is very important to make sure to clean all the window sealant and old glue from all the edges that the lining will be glued to.

Cut material for the front A and rear C pillars and brush them with 3M contact cement, and coat the pillars. Working with the first piece you glued, position them on the pillar and secure in place repeat on the other 3 pillars making sure they are at the beginning of the top corner on the pillar and remove excess waste material with a new box cutter blade.

If you are completing a full restoration, I would suggest you leave the side rails off until you have the door glass fitted into the door this way you can draw a mark where the glass is when the door is shut and position the seal channels accordingly.

Cheers,
Kev.

Just followed this last week and it worked great, thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't like the feel of the water based contact cement and the good ol' yellow 3M ten bond bled through the perforations so I called in a favor at an a upholstery shop and got some really good glue. I could make lots of adjustments and it held great.
west coast ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill be doing mine real soon ill post up with pics
Desertair27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Sound deadening Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but was wondering what kind of insulation or sound deadening material do you guys recommend.
Mike
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sound deadening Reply with quote

Desertair27 wrote:
I know this is an old thread but was wondering what kind of insulation or sound deadening material do you guys recommend.
Mike

A lot of people will recommend Dynamat but it is expensive...there are some good alternatives in this topic: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514154
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertair27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the help John.
I just ordered some B quiet.
Mike
kdcaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Have temporarly fitted the main headliner piece and the two front pillars but having difficulty fitting the rear pillars,especially at the bottom as the material wraps around to fit into the parcel shelf.Do you do releif cuts there?If so where?

Thanks for all the help to this point.

Kevin
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdcaul wrote:
Hi All,

Have temporarly fitted the main headliner piece and the two front pillars but having difficulty fitting the rear pillars,especially at the bottom as the material wraps around to fit into the parcel shelf.Do you do releif cuts there?If so where?

Thanks for all the help to this point.

Kevin

Well Kevin, my wife and I struggled (more like fought) with those rear pillars all day today and in the end decided to give it a rest. I'm going to try again tomorrow. It's a devil of a fit, and I would love to see how you decide to do it.
kdcaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kiwighia68,

I also decided to step away for a few days and will go back this weekend.

So,no progress made;also had the wife help me and we are still together.

If you made progress,please post

Thanks,
Kevin
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdcaul wrote:
Hi Kiwighia68, I also decided to step away for a few days and will go back this weekend. So,no progress made;also had the wife help me and we are still together. If you made progress,please post

Thanks,
Kevin

I'll do my best to finish the job on Monday. One pillar at a time, starting at the front. I'll post some pics unless the job gets the better of me!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdcaul wrote:
Hi Kiwighia68...If you made progress,please post

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I've posted some photos on my thread, Saving Emiko, if you're still interested.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

I am installing my TMI headliner and the problem is that I cannot pull it tight side to side along the rear window.

I only trimmed the bow pockets enough for the ends of the bows to stick out.

It looks like everyone else trims their bow pockets back about 3" from each side, which would make it easier to stretch sideways.

What is the
"correct" amount of trimming of the bow pockets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

I found this thread while searching for an answer to that same question..,

What is the correct amount to trim-back the bow pockets?
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

I ended up trimming about a foot from the edges in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

I know this is old, but does anyone know how much of the bow pockets needs to be cut away? Maybe a better question is how wide should the pocket be? I don't have an original that I can measure from.

thanks!
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
I know this is old, but does anyone know how much of the bow pockets needs to be cut away? Maybe a better question is how wide should the pocket be? I don't have an original that I can measure from.

thanks!
d

IIRC the pocket is the spans nearly the width of the roof measured from the interior.
Here's a bad picture I took during my headliner install. You can see the end of the pocket right at where the headliner material is hanging down.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:

thanks!
d

It’s a variable. Depends on the stretch. They are usually sewn way too wide which causes the fabric to bunch up on the sides. To relive it you have to carefully trim back the pockets until the fabric can actually hang with our bunching up or wrinkling. Use office clips to attach it to the gutter to fit it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

Yes, the pocket goes full width across it. I wish I had my original to measure and give myself a starting point. I cut the first one I installed back too far.
No one would have noticed except me!

I'll measure across the roof to use as a starting point.

Thanks!
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

I just did my headliner a last fall. I don't think you can definitively say "you need X amount cut away". Like Braukuche said, it'll depend on how much the headliner has to stretch to get all the wrinkles out.
Start with the pockets cut enough so that you can hang the headliner. Then from there start stretching it out, holding it in place with office clips. Basically keep trimming away 1/4" or so of the pockets at a time until you can get it to stretch fully without any bunching. It's alot of removing and reattaching the clips over and over until you get it right.

Here's an "in progress" shot with only clips holding it, no glue. I still needed to trim a bit away from the pockets here. The bunching in the outer corners will be unavoidable until you start making relief cuts there

And then here it is fully stretched and glued in

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner now installed with pics Reply with quote

Yep, fit and cut, fit and cut, fit and cut…small cuts. You have to be super patient when doing headliners. And have good high temp adhesive.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: