Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old ways for old days
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
mr_bill wrote:
in the middle of "vintage Tunnell-Buggy" resto......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So Bill, are you going to make headers of separate tubes that point straight up? That was pretty popular back in the day of pan rails at places like Pismo and Glamis.

NO, actually looking for some PERFORMANCE from this exhaust from A-1 in Santa Ana, CA.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

How long was the wait from A1? Looks great on her.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

I've never seen shocks installed this way?

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
i stare at this car a lot! always wondered what width front beam he is running, what height towers and what rear suspension is on there.

Somebody on here claimed to be familiar with the car some years ago.

You can see looking at the picture that the car has the beam pushed forward a few inches (look where the bottom of the bug-eye nose meets the top of the beam). It appears to have about a +5 or +6 beam. It has IRS judging by the zero camber of the rear wheels. It looks like a bottom tube of the trailing arm in the shadow. The front body is a 1-piece. I've not seen anyone offering a 1-piece Bug-eye style clip for many years.

Bill Savage, former SCORE Tech Chief, owns then and now, the T-Mag shop advertised on the front of the car and one would suppose, that built the car. He might be able to provide some info (although it was 38 years ago).
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Actually Mark V is still making the bug eye one piece. I think I have an article on this car buried away I will look for it tomorrow. I think it has a unique rear camber adjuster on it if I remember right.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Why shoot howdy. Yep! Mark V DOES still make Bug-eye 1-piece.

https://markvfiberglass.com/k111s-1949-1977-beetle...eight-new/

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

the cover car is still in use today by ordinal owner- runs with the so cal baja guys at times.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Thats a cool picture of that Vintage ride. What am I seeing in that picture behind the door, that slot, Is that for a Semaphore? Wonder what year that vert body is lol? Happy to see another survivor of that era.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

It would have to be a Euro delivery car, as US delivery cars always got turn indicators. My German Delivery '65 didn't have semaphores. I've encountered a few older cars that DID have semaphores. Like a '58 I almost bought back in the early 70s before I bought the '65. I didn't buy the '58 because it had already been on its roof.
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Here's a link to a thread in another forum section with a couple of pictures from Baja back in the day.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8752408#8752408
SoCalBajas Member
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

just a "standard" BIELSTEIN shock, with the plastic cover removed...

SAME shock HERE WITHOUT cover (blue thingy's) Laughing removed

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

flashho wrote:
How long was the wait from A1? Looks great on her.

Only took a week or so to build, trial-fit on engine (minor trimm of 1 "J" tube) & then 2 1/2 weeks to get back from ceramic coating ( I am "local" to A-1...only a couple miles away from Orange, CA.)

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Actually most all shock manufacturers want you to install shocks that way. It's only the offroad race type shocks like Fox and King and race Bilsteins that are normally installed with the body on top.
SoCalBajas Member
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

race-desert wrote:
the cover car is still in use today by ordinal owner- runs with the so cal baja guys at times.

Bill K _ _ _ SoCal Bajas IS the current owner of this Baja

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

I just saw Bill K at the last meet on Tuesday. Had a cool chat about some of the racing he did in it. The rear suspension is a custom job with U-joints, I don't think I've seen anything else like it. Otherwise it is a Euro vert body with a 2180cc and I believe a built type 1 box. I haven't seen his car since that run but he continues to drive it like he stole it to this day. I had a blast that trip, my dad and I are in the foreground.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old ways for old days Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
I just saw Bill K at the last meet on Tuesday. Had a cool chat about some of the racing he did in it. The rear suspension is a custom job with U-joints, I don't think I've seen anything else like it. Otherwise it is a Euro vert body with a 2180cc and I believe a built type 1 box. I haven't seen his car since that run but he continues to drive it like he stole it to this day. I had a blast that trip, my dad and I are in the foreground.

Are the rear axles a modified Datsun setup with U joints? I've seen some old school setups for sale from time to time on here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: