Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Ghia Door Glass removal???
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

Long story short, I need to remove the door glass on the passenger side of my 70 Ghia but note exactly sure how.

Do I just loosen the two bolts inside the tract and pull it out through the top? Do I need to remove the outer chrome trim?

Also what kind of glass is this? will it shatter if we try to cut it? (need to trim it down some or have my local glass shop cut a new piece just a tad smaller on the side....long story)

Thank you for the inside scoops!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

Quote:
Do I need to remove the outer chrome trim?

Yes, and the inner 'felt' strip too. Then it just will pull out..barely
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

If you can get the glass out of the bracket then you don’t need to remove any thing else. But likely it is caked with years of gunk and the rubber sleeve is swollen and brittle. No way to really get lubricant on the backside of bracket with the glass in the door. So if stuck you’ll need to pull the trim and felts .

The glass is curved so you need the specific replacement. A competent glass cutter should be able to wet grind it down.

But the question is why? There is a number of adjustments you can make to get the glass to better fit. Do tell more.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

Swavananda is right:There are a number of adjustments you can undertake to make the original door glass fit properly. These are inside the door and on the mechanism holding the glass. There's a thread about this somewhere.

However, a subject I think may not have been discussed elsewhere is this: The door gaps and the qualities of the rubber into/against which the glass has to fit when the window is closed MAY also play a role. If, for example, the door gaps are too small, the glass may appear to be too big. Conversely, the glass may appear to be too small if the door gaps are too big.

Also, if replacement rubbers framing the window have been fitted, they may be of a different size (profile/thickness) to the originals and that may add to the perception that the glass is of the wrong size. I have exactly this problem with the new rubber on my Ghia. More work - when my wife complained just today that I'm "constantly rebuilding this car!"
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm "constantly rebuilding this car!"

I've been working on this (my) car for over 38 years and I'm not finished yet. The wife Rolling Eyes
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Swavananda is right:There are a number of adjustments you can undertake to make the original door glass fit properly. These are inside the door and on the mechanism holding the glass. There's a thread about this somewhere.

However, a subject I think may not have been discussed elsewhere is this: The door gaps and the qualities of the rubber into/against which the glass has to fit when the window is closed MAY also play a role. If, for example, the door gaps are too small, the glass may appear to be too big. Conversely, the glass may appear to be too small if the door gaps are too big.

Also, if replacement rubbers framing the window have been fitted, they may be of a different size (profile/thickness) to the originals and that may add to the perception that the glass is of the wrong size. I have exactly this problem with the new rubber on my Ghia. More work - when my wife complained just today that I'm "constantly rebuilding this car!"

Thanks for the input, i wasn't aware the glass was curved as it appears to be flat.

I'll try to keep it short and simple as to not confuse anyone:)

New seals all around, all the adjustments that can be made have been made including taking it to my local VW shop. W out any luck the window still hangs over (rear section) about a quarter inch. At some point in its life, the car was in a good size accident so it's apparent the body was not fixed properly of which i didn't notice or forgot when i started this project 2+years ago. And now the paint has been done and 95% completed the restoration.
The only thing i can come up with is shaving the glass down to fit:(
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Ghia Door Glass removal??? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
I'm "constantly rebuilding this car!"

I've been working on this (my) car for over 38 years and I'm not finished yet. The wife Rolling Eyes

I feel your pain..lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: