Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Prepped patch panels for paint, will weld them soon and get to removing all paint and repainting.
After chemically stipping the car, dealing with any rust, and neutralizing any chemicals this is the plan (spared you all the degrease tac rag business)

- Scuff with 180 grit (to give tooth)
- Zinc phosphate epoxy primer (2 coats)
- Dry sand (400 - 500 - 600)

For interior:
- Polyurethane top coat (glossy)

For exterior:
- scuff with 80 the spots that need filler
- Fill (FG for deep dents then polyester putty over it)
- Another coat of epoxy (sand)
- High build primer (2 coats)
- Block sand (not sure which grits)
- Repeat HB and block sanding
Then will send to pro for:
- Base coat
- Clear coat
- Color sand and buff

And as it is being sprayed with color and clear, Ill be dealing with chassis.
Does this look right to everyone? Thanks guys for any advice or comments

Zaid

Info on the zinc phosphate epoxy and the Polyurethane top coat here
http://www.national-paints.com/np/uploads/protective.html
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Quote:

This would not be my preferred method.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:

This would not be my preferred method.

Its a very rippled area on the rear apron, i will hammer and dolly what i can but what should i do as far as filling it?
And does the rest of the process seem fine?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Fiberglass filler has its place but smoothing out panels is not one of them. Hammer and dolly and skim coat any imperfections or replace the panel.

I would just sand the epoxy primer with 400 grit to allow adhesion.

I don't really get your "polyurethane top coat" for the interior. Is this a different paint then your exterior? If so why?

In preparation for your filler don't be afraid to really abrade the surface.

I don't think you need any epoxy over the filler. Just shoot your high build.

Block sanding grits (with guide coat) will depend on how straight your panels are and how smoothly you laid down your high build. You should finish with at least 400 grit (for solids) or 600 grit (for metallic).

If you block sanding comes out good after your first two coats then there is no need for another coat of high build.

Your pro should shoot a sealer over the high build before the base.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Fiberglass filler has its place but smoothing out panels is not one of them. Hammer and dolly and skim coat any imperfections or replace the panel.

I would just sand the epoxy primer with 400 grit to allow adhesion.

I don't really get your "polyurethane top coat" for the interior. Is this a different paint then your exterior? If so why?

In preparation for your filler don't be afraid to really abrade the surface.

I don't think you need any epoxy over the filler. Just shoot your high build.

Block sanding grits (with guide coat) will depend on how straight your panels are and how smoothly you laid down your high build. You should finish with at least 400 grit (for solids) or 600 grit (for metallic).

If you block sanding comes out good after your first two coats then there is no need for another coat of high build.

Your pro should shoot a sealer over the high build before the base.

I just though that since the Polyurethane is single stage with high resistance that i would spare myself the trouble of 2 stage, it is a different paint than my exterior, bad idea?

I doubt that my high build will lay out flat, my paint gun is a cheap siphon-fed.

My panels will not be too straight as i am a complete amateur, but if i dont need 2 rounds of high build ill definitely be ok with 1.

Thanks for sanding advice, ill be shooting solid top coat.

Its obvious to me now that i have to master hammer and dolly work onstead of fb filler, so thanks for that as well and for all your other notes! Appreciated!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

First you have take the paint off down to bare metal. Cheap siphon feed sand blaster & air compressor are best because you can do a better job yourself. Spread out a big tarp so you can sift & reuse the #30 grit sand or walnut shells etc sandblasting media. Angle grinder & flap discs etc for stripping paint will be necessary. Keep all the bare metal coated with phosphoric acid rust killer until it is primered.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

We use the same paint for interior and exterior. Our preference is urethane single stage since it mimics the original paint better than base/clear IMHO...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
First you have take the paint off down to bare metal. Cheap siphon feed sand blaster & air compressor are best because you can do a better job yourself. Spread out a big tarp so you can sift & reuse the #30 grit sand or walnut shells etc sandblasting media. Angle grinder & flap discs etc for stripping paint will be necessary. Keep all the bare metal coated with phosphoric acid rust killer until it is primered.

I was planning on stipping the paint with cleanstrip (chemical) and power tools, then the rest of the tools you mentioned. That should work i suppose. If im not satisfied with the reaults ill media blast.

andk5591 wrote:
We use the same paint for interior and exterior. Our preference is urethane single stage since it mimics the original paint better than base/clear IMHO...

Urethane single stage is the recommended topcoat for my epoxy system so ill go for that

Can anyone recommend a good cheap HVLP spray gun for the epoxy and high build? Epoxy recommends 0.018” tip, guess thats what we call a 1.8 nozzle?

Zaid
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Check with Eastwood. I think they have a cheap kit with 2 guns. I think that is where our mini touch up and primer guns came from.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Check with Eastwood. I think they have a cheap kit with 2 guns. I think that is where our mini touch up and primer guns came from.

Thanks! Will check it out.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Devilbliss sells a nice kit. I have a Devilbliss gun (I am a novice) that has a 1.8mm tip and a 1.2mm tip that I have shot high build, epoxy, base and clear with .
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

Found a set on their website, not very cheap but if i had it i wouldnt turn the car over to a pro for final stages, but pros here dont charge much for a spray n bake.. Around 150 dollars

jspbtown wrote:
Devilbliss sells a nice kit. I have a Devilbliss gun (I am a novice) that has a 1.8mm tip and a 1.2mm tip that I have shot high build, epoxy, base and clear with .

Thats an undoubtedly nice gun but on the expensive side, but good to know that its adequate for my skill-level which is near zero at the moment haha. Do you have pictures of your results with said spray gun?

Last edited by SupBeetle4Zaid on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

#1 Air Compressor #2 Air drill/sander/grinder #3 cheap spray guns etc. You can spray better/tougher/shinier BC/CC than others 'spray & bake' single stage. Acrylic Lacquer is easy to spray smooth with no color sanding needed only machine buffing! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how I plan on painting my 75 SB, any advice be great Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
#1 Air Compressor #2 Air drill/sander/grinder #3 cheap spray guns etc. You can spray better/tougher/shinier BC/CC than others 'spray & bake' single stage. Acrylic Lacquer is easy to spray smooth with no color sanding needed only machine buffing! Cool

Thats exactly what im thinking, i have an electric drill and grinder but was planning on chemical stripping and sanding by hand. Only problem is that the "cheap" margin for spray guns seem to be 200+
And there is also my fear of messing up

I have heard people are getting good results with the HF purple gun
https://m.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8-cfm-gravity-feed-spray-gun-67181.html
For a one time use the price hits the sweet spot on my wallet, Im relocating to another country soon so i really have to start patching this project up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: