Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 transaxle in 55
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

I searched much and only got more confused. I pulled this 60 trans out of my storage pile. Before I go cleaning it up and redoing the brakes, will it fit in the 55? I know it's different but I'm sure I pulled it from an old oval. Either a 56 or a 57 since those are the only 2 I stripped.

If the answer is no, why not? What would be the effect?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

They changed the front mount for '60. it might bolt up but the engine will sit wrong in the engine compartment. Probably too high.

To put it in a '55 you would have to install a '59 or earlier nose cone, hockey stick and the three shift rods as those were all the parts that were changed for '60.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Sounds like a pain in the ass.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

Is it the nose cone that gives a 60 the trans angle or the chassis front mount?

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

You can see in the design of nosecone and shift forks how they managed to change the angle. The chassis mount was part of it too, but more to accommodate the transmission changes.

Changing those shift forks is kind of a PITA but if you have a really nice transaxle then well worth the effort. I've done it and as far as transmission work goes, you don't have to get very far into the disassembly before that step. Mostly non-technical nuts and bolts.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

It's far easier to convert a '60 to the earlier configuration than the other way around because there are plenty of pre 60 parts out there. Since they were one year only parts, the '60 only parts are much harder to find.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

Why even mess with a early trans in a 60? The 61-67 68? Synchromesh is much nicer. But in a 1960 you have the same problem of the engine fitting at an angle with the Synchromesh Trans it sets a little low I think.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Why even mess with a early trans in a 60? The 61-67 68? Synchromesh is much nicer. But in a 1960 you have the same problem of the engine fitting at an angle with the Synchromesh Trans it sets a little low I think.

You get higher rpms with the 1200 40hp box than with the tunnel box, at same speed. The 1500 box gives same rpms as the Split case box.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
AceHH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

I have a 62 Trans (with original Nose)in my 56 and have massive Problems with the Clutch. Means, after release the Clutch Pedal the Clutch comes immediately.
There is no more Space to regulate it.
I have a Kennedy Stage 1 Pressure Plate.
Maybe the Clutch Release Arm at the Trans is to long so the geometry is wrong.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 transaxle in 55 Reply with quote

I was reading somewhere the diaphragm clutches need the short Long arm so they don't get pressed too far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: