Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

I have just bought myself a new VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor which I believe is the VW replacement part for 1968, 1969 and 1970 manual transmission original distributors.

The original distributors for 1968, 1969 and 1970 had VW part numbers:
1968 - 113 905 205M
1969 and 1970 - 113 905 205T

So what was the difference between the 1968 and 1969/1970 distributors that allowed VW to replace them with a single part number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

From what I can tell, no difference in distributors- both the M and the T distributors had the exact same vacuum canisters and (therefore) the exact same advance curves, and were timed the same (0 TDC.)
The different part numbers may have been to correlate the carburetors they were matched up with- the M distributor would have been new for the 1968 model year, and matched up to a Solex 30 PICT 2 carb with modification state # (base flange #) 126-1, whereas the later M distributor and the T distributor would have been matched up with a 30 PICT 2 with modification state #s 126-2 AND 126-3. Here's a chart to help show:

http://www.glenn-ring.com/031/carb%20-%20distributor%20listing.pdf

Whether the different modification state #s on the carbs were for new emissions controls, or to differentiate between the carbs meant for the autosticks vs the 4 speed manuals, or some other reason, I really have no idea. One of the carb experts on here might chime in to straighten that out.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

Only difference I can find is that they used a different distributor cap and rotor, if I'm reading the chart correctly:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts/Bosch_Tune_Up_Parts.pdf
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

^^^^^
As stated the 205M uses a shorter cap and rotor while the 205T used the taller 03010 cap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

Nice to see some quotes of my charts above.

Yes, the 111-AA is pretty much the same as the 113-T. Same cap/rotor and at the heart of it all, same vacuum canister.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

The oldvolkshome distributor lists have been down Andy, your list is the only one currently viewable. Wink Since there is no real performance difference between the 113 M and the 113 T the service replacement can be the same 111 AA distributor. It's interesting that VW?Bosch chose to use the 111 designation rather than the more accurate 113 AA in this case. A later distributor, the 113 905 205 AA was an autostick SVDA.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

I think the 111 designation is due to it being the distributor used on the base model D 1200 engine in the early 1970s. It just happened to be the same as the 113-T and, as the latest version, became the go-to replacement. Now, why they didn't just go with the identical, already-existing 113-T, I have no idea!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 111 905 205AA Ignition Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The oldvolkshome distributor lists have been down Andy, your list is the only one currently viewable. Wink

Oh really? I had no idea, since I really never had much affection for that site, I just don't go there! And... I don't feel much of a loss.

Heck, my own sets of ignition charts stem from that, I figured I could compile the data in the books I own in a better format and I did so. (Tim, you probably know better than anyone else the kind of rather ethical detail research I've done... so, thank you for the winky nod!)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: