Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compression Questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amikulics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Compression Questions Reply with quote

Today I decided to check the compression on my 72 1700 type 4. During the dry test it got 91 PSI in all cylinders. During the wet test it had 91 in cylinders 1 and 3 and 120 in cylinders 2 and 4. Are these number low enough to warrant replacing the rings? Also if I choose not to so the rings myself is there a reputable shop that could replace them for me in the San Diego area?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

I can't help you with the question about compression...

But if you've read any of the threads in the Bay Window forum, you must have seen Aeromech. He can fix anything.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

Has the engine been in daily service for a while? Was it warmed up for the test? Are your valves adjusted? Was the battery well charged and the throttle held open? An engine really needs to be prepped for a compression test.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Has the engine been in daily service for a while? Was it warmed up for the test? Are your valves adjusted? Was the battery well charged and the throttle held open? An engine really needs to be prepped for a compression test.

^^^^^ X2
amikulics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

It is clear to me now that I made many mistakes with my original compression test. I plan to warm up the engine and check the compression sometime soon.

In the meantime I have been looking into piston ring replacement and I have a few questions. I found out about the service bulletin that suggested getting rid of the sealing ring at the top of the cylinder and replacing it with a 1.6mm ring at the bottom. This bulletin made no reference to machining the head. My questions are does this bulletin affect my 1972 1700 or can I use rings on top and bottom like from the factory. If I can use rings at the top and bottom is there any specific size they have to be or can I use these from bus depot on all 4 cylinders?

for the top:
http://www.busdepot.com/021101343

for the bottom:
http://www.busdepot.com/021101341a
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

Covered in the link below.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695322&highlight=

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

As per the VW Technical Service Buliten, only the 2.0L GD, GE, and CV two-liter Type 4 engines should delete the sealing rings and install a spacer. With stock parts, that's it. If an engine with sealing rings is consistently overheated, the sealing rings may leak compression. This commonly shows up as a "soot" on the cylinder heads around the cylinder spigot. Here is a T1 head for example:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the TSB for those curious:
http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.dolphinsci.com/techbull.html

--

Your compression ratio is set very carefully using a combination of cylinder deck height, combustion chamber volume, piston dish/dome, bore, and stroke. If you change the deck height by removing a gasket shim you will need to add that much at the bottom of the cylinder to make up for the difference in deck height. If you instead use a new AMC head that has a "step" cast into the head, that step takes up the deck height of the gasket shim instead of needing a shim at the base of the cylinder.

Clear as mud? Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
As per the VW Technical Service Buliten, only the 2.0L GD, GE, and CV two-liter Type 4 engines should delete the sealing rings and install a spacer. With stock parts, that's it. If an engine with sealing rings is consistently overheated, the sealing rings may leak compression. This commonly shows up as a "soot" on the cylinder heads around the cylinder spigot. Here is a T1 head for example:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the TSB for those curious:
http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/www.dolphinsci.com/techbull.html

--

Your compression ratio is set very carefully using a combination of cylinder deck height, combustion chamber volume, piston dish/dome, bore, and stroke. If you change the deck height by removing a gasket shim you will need to add that much at the bottom of the cylinder to make up for the difference in deck height. If you instead use a new AMC head that has a "step" cast into the head, that step takes up the deck height of the gasket shim instead of needing a shim at the base of the cylinder.

Clear as mud? Cool

Robbie

At the time my high mileage 1800 failed due to a loose valve seat, the one head sealing ring had about worked its way out of position and would have failed soon had the seat not failed first. I think it is reasonable to say that all the head sealing rings should be eliminated from all Type 4 engines. Wink
amikulics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

Thanks a ton Robbie that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm trying to make my engine as stock as possible so can I just use these on top and bottom of each cylinder:

Also I've seen mixed opinions on whether to not use sealant on these gaskets. Is this a bad idea or would it help?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Questions Reply with quote

amikulics wrote:
Thanks a ton Robbie that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm trying to make my engine as stock as possible so can I just use these on top and bottom of each cylinder:

Also I've seen mixed opinions on whether to not use sealant on these gaskets. Is this a bad idea or would it help?

No.
You delete the rings on ANY type 4 head. Trust me. I have seen them all fail.
Why would a 2.0 be any different than a 1.7L?

The TSB in question...is actually ancient. They noted for the 2.0 because at the time it,was pretty much the last type 4 engine in production. The world of VW drivers have more type 4 experience .....now...than VW did when it wrote the TSB. It does NOT require consistent overheating. It just requires miles.
ALL of the 411, 412 and 914 engines....1.7L, 1.8L and 2.0L had ROUTINE failures of the sealing rings.....and most except the 2.0....RARELY ....overheated in 2000 to 2200 lb cars.

Its a standard heat cycling issue on a part that had "0" spring tension built into it. It gets hammered flat and leaks. Where it leaks it cuts the head like a blow torch....which makes the head 100% unrepairable even by welding....unless you reanneal the head. Very expensive.
This is the same problem long term that copper head gaskets have. They all eventually leak.

Get rid of the sealing ring....and quit putting 100% accurate faith down to the exact letter of a TSB that is 30+ years old. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: