Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My friend and I replaced the shocks on the Ghia on Saturday. Similar to my brake replacement, we believe the shocks were the original shocks from 1974. At the very least, they were from the late 80s since they were stamped with "Made in West Germany." When we compressed the shocks, there was zero rebound in them, so I feel much safer on the road now.

The fiance and I took it for a drive yesterday and it was night and day from the last couple of months of ownership.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned more parts and boxed up inner door releases, door glass lift channels, front and rear hood/decklid release mechanisms to ship off for zinc plating. Will be nice to get these back all shiny and fairly corrosion proof, especially in the doors.

Also received a whole box load of rubber pieces from KGPR, so when my Ghia is back from paint, I will at least be one step ahead, also additional parts from CIP1. Fun to play with new clean stuff after all the cleaning I have done with the old parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

POR 15'd bumper brackets and those trim little parts that will get painted and be exposed to the environment. If only they had or used the products we have today to keep parts from corroding we wouldn't have to go through all this. Then what fun would that be?? Shocked

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Today I attempted to polish my intake manifolds. I don't think the sanding equipment necessary even exists. Too many small crevices for perfection. I concentrated my efforts on the visible parts. I don't recommend doing this. Four hours and while better there are still some deepish pits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Today I attempted to polish my intake manifolds. I don't think the sanding equipment necessary even exists. Too many small crevices for perfection. I concentrated my efforts on the visible parts. I don't recommend doing this. Four hours and while better there are still some deepish pits.

I've read about folks using machines, but I found the basic equipment needed was attached to my shoulder Wink
It definitely takes more than 4 hours to get a decent finish. Bubbles or voids in the CB castings were disheartening, but nothing is perfect.
The abrasive sponges used for body work are effective, and wearing cheap cotton gloves over nitrile gloves saved skin on my fingers.
Just be persistent. Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I feel you. I'll definitely be working on it more as the good spots make the defects pop out as the first thing you see.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Changed the transmission oil to Swepco 201 and it shifts better.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

A lot of fun this week, first, got back my parts from the Zinc Plating, Looks Awesome:

They came out really great and not that pricey. Brian Parker at Parker Metal Finishing did it right.

Since I had also received my door catch rebuild kit, nylon inserts, I decided to put that back together

Not very difficult, had to file out the larger holes a bit to slip over the pins, and the top half swiveled back over without any more adjustment. I then drove the connector pins in and all looks good. I don't think I ever had a door catch with both halves of the nylon, maybe the doors won't jiggle so much now.

Also during the week, decided to clean the rust from the inside of the bumpers. a couple minutes with some Muriatic Acid, and all the rust was gone. Washed it all out, let it dry, then sprayed some POR-15, and as you can see in the guards, sprayed a little silver hammered look Rustoleum.

Couldn't finish silver coating today, maybe tomorrow.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Those strikers are beautiful!! Gonna rebuild mine soon. Keep up the great work.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed an Xcelerator setup on my pedal assembly. The accelerator pedal is sooo smooth now.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Those strikers are beautiful!! Gonna rebuild mine soon. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Xzener, I couldn't believe how good they looked when I opened the box. I wanted to zinc plate parts that tend to have exposure to elements and water, like the door catches, inner door mechanisms, window lifts, etc. Price was excellent. Whatever I could stuff into a flat rate postal box, Brian Parker charged a flat $100 to coat whatever I sent him, probably could have sent more, but was tired of digging through all the boxes. Very happy with the items.

Regarding your Xcelerator, I think that is something I want to add, as long as the results you achieve are recommended. Thanks

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I can only imagine the end result... But as is, it is the smoothest gas pedal my foot has ever touched. I'm excited to see what it feels like attached to a carburetor.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This morning I installed a leather steering wheel wrap. Driving is much more fun/contolled through curves and around corners now!

KCKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The old trunk liner was really beat up, and I found & followed the sizing diagram that another member posted a while back. I used some thin carpet that was in good shape. It's not quite original, but it's better than nothing!

KCKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I also did some deep cleaning, here are a few before & after pics:

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Your Ghia looks great KC, especially after a good scrubbing! Always nice to see them clean and in the sunshine.

Your carpet piece in the trunk looks good as well, always better than seeing everything exposed. As long as you are happy with it, enjoy! Good work.
Jeff

chipster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Took my co-pilot for his first rides in the Ghia, we had a blast. Great to be on the road.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Trying my butt off to install a Kafer Bar from CoolRydes.
They’re being a real pain on my Ghia.
It looks like I can make it work without modifying anything on the car but I’m concerned about the horn bolt tabs that fit BEHIND the cradle. That will push my entire engine and transmission assembly rearward by 1/4”. I’m concerned it will mess with the nose mount, the shift rod and the engine tin.
Hey, if anyone has experience with this I’m curious. I’ve sent CoolRydes a few emails but haven’t heard back yet.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Trying my butt off to install a Kafer Bar from CoolRydes.
They’re being a real pain on my Ghia.
It looks like I can make it work without modifying anything on the car but I’m concerned about the horn bolt tabs that fit BEHIND the cradle. That will push my entire engine and transmission assembly rearward by 1/4”. I’m concerned it will mess with the nose mount, the shift rod and the engine tin.
Hey, if anyone has experience with this I’m curious. I’ve sent CoolRydes a few emails but haven’t heard back yet.

if you have a look in the engine forum, you'll find many have complained about coolrides not returning messages and calls.

I almost bought their Kafer bar, but didn't after doing some research.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Wow, those zinc plated parts came out great! It looks like you only took apart the upper decklid latch and left everything else assembled? Have you had any problem with the plating interfering with moving parts?

If it's a flat rate of $100 for plating all this stuff, I see no reason to mess around with some of these DIY kits I see on youtube.

rbsurfguy wrote:
A lot of fun this week, first, got back my parts from the Zinc Plating, Looks Awesome:

They came out really great and not that pricey. Brian Parker at Parker Metal Finishing did it right.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

There seems to be no interference with the zinc plating. All springs and movements operate fine. Of course I'll lightly grease all movable parts before mounting, hoping that the plating will not chip away. My goal was to plate the parts that I found had the most exposure to the elements and previous water/rust damage.

Yeah the price is great, and if I would have scrounged around more in my parts pile, I probably could have stuffed more items in the box. I think Brian does these types of items on the side, after work or weekends, cause he said he personally does all the car parts people send in and just charges the flat rate. I cleaned most of the items as well as I could, but he runs them through some type of wash/cleaner before coating.

Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 124 of 167

Jump to: