Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Couple of questions about oil change on my '79
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Couple of questions about oil change on my '79 Reply with quote

-The Bentley manual shows the oil drain plug to be a big hex bolt. Mine is an Allen plug (6 mm wrench). Do I have the correct plug?

-I'm a little confused about the drain plug washer and the strainer washer. What are the specs on each? Is one a crush washer and the other one solid? Today I asked an NAPA for a drain plug washer, and he gave me a copper crush washer with an I.D. of about 12.5 mm. Did he give me the right part?

Thanks.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions about oil change on my '79 Reply with quote

the center nut is for the strainer, black plate, it takes a crush-washer,
9 ft/lbs is the max value, no more than that.
the drain on your bus has been replaced, it is 'off center' from the
case parting line, uses a solid non'crush washer,or teflon tape, or....?
It's an old bus so whatever works, I tend to re-use the sump drain
washer over & over again & leave the strainer/sump plate alone.
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions about oil change on my '79 Reply with quote

I found a little more information in the ratwell page. The type 4 cases have two different drain plugs: one is a M12x1.5 with a 19 mm hex head, and the other (the one I have) is M14x1.5 with a 6 mm Allen head and a dished plastic washer. Why is this information not in the Bentley manual?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions about oil change on my '79 Reply with quote

Francoc wrote:
Why is this information not in the Bentley manual?

It's not the manual's job to tell us what tools to use; that's the job of whoever teaches you to work on cars. Could you imagine how long the manual would be if every job listed every change of every nut and bolt over the years? There would be 300 pages just on fasteners! Laughing

Think of the Bentley like sheet music- it's still the violinist's job to decide which string to play and which direction to bow.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Couple of questions about oil change on my '79 Reply with quote

Francoc wrote:
I found a little more information in the ratwell page. The type 4 cases have two different drain plugs: one is a M12x1.5 with a 19 mm hex head, and the other (the one I have) is M14x1.5 with a 6 mm Allen head and a dished plastic washer. Why is this information not in the Bentley manual?

That's info for the parts book, not necessarily the service manual.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: