Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printed solution for heater hose connection
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkTurk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: 3D Printed solution for heater hose connection Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I was struggling with re-connecting the heater hoses in the front of my 66 bug and came up with the following solution.

Paint points that I was trying to alleviate:
1) Can't access bottom of channel to attach new one.
2) Old ripped hose prevents attaching new hose.
3) Don't want to take hood off
4) PVC pipe looks cheesy IMHO

What I created is an adapter that transitions from a 1.75" ID to a 1.5" OD, with a feature that allows you to guide the connector down onto the channel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I 3D printed this on a Formlabs Form 2 SLA machine in black plastic so it's aesthetically pleasing (even though you can't see it)

Here is how it works:
1) The paper hose slips onto the smaller portion
2) A bead of silicone adhesive is applied inside the larger portion, to seal the connection at the heater channel.
3) A 1/4" dowel rod is inserted into the small boss off the side of the connector, this allows you to guide the connector down onto the heater channel bung and firmly press down. Then you just wiggle the dowel rod free.

**PM me if you'd like a set for your project**

Last edited by TurkTurk on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed solution for heater hose connection Reply with quote

Nice idea.

What is the plastic material and its temperature service range?

Keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TurkTurk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed solution for heater hose connection Reply with quote

The plastic is functionally close to ABS but a little more brittle. The Heat Deflection temperature is 137F but I've used unstressed parts like this design in much higher temp applications without issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed solution for heater hose connection Reply with quote

thanks for the data.

These new fangled machines are fascinating, kind of like the star trek food machine. press a button and the part appears!

Can you give more details of the machine? a photograph would be nice if you dont mind. Does this machine use a laser to melt the plastic, or some other method?

Technology is moving along!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TurkTurk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed solution for heater hose connection Reply with quote

It's called the Form 2 and it uses the stereolithography process. A UV laser cures a photopolymer resin layer by layer to produce smooth, isotropic, plastic parts.

4 of the above parts can be printed in about 10 hours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: