Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

So I am building me a sandrail with a 2.3l Turbo motor.
Needed a gastank so I picked these up on a deal for 50 bucks for the pair..
They have fuel level sender and foam inside. Think the are 10 gallon.
They are pretty light.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I have spots behind my seats for 2 of these one behind each of my seats.
Can I install 2 tanks?
20 gallons of gas? is it extra weight not worth it?
second idea goes with this adapter I have

Its a boost controller where you set a low boost and a max boost with an adjustment of a switch.

I could fill the second one with racing fuel.
And when I hit the switch also have a manual switch to switch fuel tanks with a lever.

Is this a dumb idea?
should I just run 1 gas tank?
Would it off balance my car?
Or would it save me from using so much racing fuel and just use the racing fuel when I need more power to show off or make it up a steep dune?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

Either option to switch to race fuel is too slow for on the fly. Either run race fuel or turn the boost down and run pump gas. Another option would be a custom intake manifold with 2 injectors per cylinder, basically 2 fuel systems and then you can run different fuel on demand.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

I have never heard of running 2 different sets of injectors. on the same vehicle. So how expensive is that?
And what you are saying the stock 35lb injectors can work, along side the 60lb I want to upgrade to?

And just switch between which injectors I am using?
2 switches? 1 controls the boost and one controls the injectors?
And will I need 2 fuel pumps?

The way that I mention it.
Would it still work?
Just take an extra 30 seconds for it to clear out the old gas before changing to the higher boost settings?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

It's quite a bit more complicated then that to run dual injectors. I have never seen it done on anything but a Nelson racing engines v8. They run pump gas in one tank and race fuel in another, when it reaches a certain boost level the race fuel injectors kick in. This is how they run 2000hp capable motors in street cars. You could do the tank switch valve but you better be real sure that the race fuel is on the motor before turning it up. You might be able to get away with blending fuels as well but you would have to talk to some tuners about that.
Cul-tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

2 tanks is fine. Little more complex and a little more weight. But you also gain some redundancy with two tanks and two pumps.

Plus you can set them up behind the seats but separated enough that you can access the shift coupler for repairs/adjustments.

I'm not excited with trying to run different fuels in each. Myself I would just keep the fuel the same.

Have gauages on each tank and switch between the two depending on the fuel level.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

Why 2 fuel pumps? can i use the same fuel pump just with a manual switch.
Cul-tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

Yes you can.

But twice in my life now I have been left high and dry by a fuel pump that pooped out at bad times. So now I always have a spare pump. Or on the latest fuel cell I made it actually has two pumps and filters. So in the event one fails on the trail, all I need to do is switch to the other and keep truckin.

That's what I meant about the advantage of two tanks and two pumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9E8tC_-Z4Q&t=568s
Here's the cell I just made with two pumps for redundancy.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

Doug You have an awesome setup, I also like your bender setup. I need to build a cage to hold my motor any chance you want to come work with me in centennial, Colorado this weekend? I need a bender and someone who knows how to use it. Please? LOL I can pay a little.

I dont care what type of cage just something that will work.
Cul-tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

That's funny, I work in Centennial.

I just PM'ed you.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Fuel cells in 1 sandrail? Reply with quote

pm did not come through.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: