Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If it ain't broken........valve cover bling.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

So, I've been wanting to replace my faded and weathered red valve covers that came with my GW2.5L 60k miles ago. I've got a nice new pair, all painted up to perfection, with new bails and cork gaskets glued in with Gasgacinch, just like 10c recommends here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238535 .

Question is, do I risk replacing valve covers that are not leaking and have never leaked for 60k miles for some new ones for vanity?? I do see some very minor seepage along the top of the valve covers, but nothing that causes a drip or anything remotely close to a drip.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

What's the risk?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Leaks. But I think I've prepared everything perfectly. If something can go wrong, it might. Right? Am I just being paranoid?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Leaks are such a minor bother you might as well do it.

Syncronoid wrote:
...If something can go wrong, it might. Right? Am I just being paranoid?

I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

But I have a perfect track record. No leaks in 60k miles. VC used to say it was one of the driest WBX's they'd seen.

Ahwahnee wrote:
Leaks are such a minor bother you might as well do it.

Syncronoid wrote:
...If something can go wrong, it might. Right? Am I just being paranoid?

I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
But I have a perfect track record. No leaks in 60k miles. VC used to say it was one of the driest WBX's they'd seen.

Times are changing. VC moved and you should do something to fix all that dryness. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Type 1 owners pop their valve covers every few thousand miles to adjust their valves, sure they sometimes end up with a leak, but if done properly the chances are low.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Who really sees or even tries to see your Valve Covers?

If it bothers you, paint them in place for now.

Honestly I vote for LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used the bolt-on valve covers like these? http://chircoestore.com/aluminum-bolt-on-valve-covers-pair-for-air-cooled-vw-engines.html. I believe the heads of the Type 1 Air cooled are the same as that for the WBX.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Has anyone ever used the bolt-on valve covers like these? http://chircoestore.com/aluminum-bolt-on-valve-covers-pair-for-air-cooled-vw-engines.html. I believe the heads of the Type 1 Air cooled are the same as that for the WBX.

Go to the Beetle forums, you won't find a lot of love for them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a good bearing grease to use on the cork gasket?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Is bearing grease the goop of choice? I have always used Hylomar.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

For the record, I'm talking about what to put on the cork gasket that will press up against the head. I've heard bearing/axle grease, 20W-50 oil.... I've already used Gasgacinch to mate it with the cover.

Apparently, bearing grease will help keep the cork gasket from drying out. I've heard Hylomar recommended here, too, what is it?

Ahwahnee wrote:
Is bearing grease the goop of choice? I have always used Hylomar.

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

I have popped my 80 valve covers off 3 times in its short life of 700 miles, and i haven't changed the gaskets, and they don't leak one little bit
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Not sure how that contributes to the discussion.

I just want to do it once and do it right so I get another 60k miles of leak-free operation.

calo1956 wrote:
I have popped my 80 valve covers off 3 times in its short life of 700 miles, and i haven't changed the gaskets, and they don't leak one little bit

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

yeah good for you.
I've had 2 separate vans suck in the lower edge of the gasket and spew most of it's oil out on the back hatch in a matter of minutes...
now neither of these were set by me, I was the new owner to each van and well there's a 'get acquainted' period with any new adoption.
IMO one should ALWAYS carry a spare gasket in the 'spares kit' along with a waterpump belt.
it's extremely frigging annoying while in the middle of a roadtrip. without the resources to fix it.

calo1956 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

I say go for it. My main thought process is that you're a highly competent wrench (almost said wench) and if it started to drip you would figure it out and we'd all have a good laugh at your expense (after a subdued period while you solved it). A win/win if ever there was one!! And in my version of your future, you will have a pair of blingy valve covers to stare lovingly at when you're doing oil changes.

On the cork, I would actually finger some ordinary motor oil on them before installing them. Grease is just oil with thickeners and the actual lubrication film is handled by the oil in the grease. So if the function of grease is to deliver oil slowly into the cork, then why not get it over with on day 1 and have it uniformly "moistened" against drying?

Anyhow, get those blingy devils on there!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Thanks for the "just f'ing do it' motivation! Well received!

IdahoDoug wrote:
I say go for it. My main thought process is that you're a highly competent wrench (almost said wench) and if it started to drip you would figure it out and we'd all have a good laugh at your expense (after a subdued period while you solved it). A win/win if ever there was one!! And in my version of your future, you will have a pair of blingy valve covers to stare lovingly at when you're doing oil changes.

On the cork, I would actually finger some ordinary motor oil on them before installing them. Grease is just oil with thickeners and the actual lubrication film is handled by the oil in the grease. So if the function of grease is to deliver oil slowly into the cork, then why not get it over with on day 1 and have it uniformly "moistened" against drying?

Anyhow, get those blingy devils on there!

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd like that! I think it was worth explaining my motives for full disclosure and to appeal to a kindred spirit.

Now I need you to encourage me to "just go for it" with 600 grit and part of a leftover hardwood banister to knock a bit of rust out of the cylinders of the '88 Supra we're working on before I hone them and re-ring. Sat 18 years. Seems sacreligious but talk to someone in their 70s who has done things like new babbit bearings in a car and then dragged it down the street to turn the engine over with great results, and you'll have no more fear.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: If it ain't broken........valve cover bling. Reply with quote

Pics, for shits and giggles........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: