Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best lube for curtains?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

I have a Devon conversion, but I think the curtain track is effectively the same. I think I'm going to be using them a lot soon and don't want to be hassled when I'm tired and trying to go to sleep. Point is they need to move smoothly - the fabric is old and could tear. Last time I used dry lube on something it was when I was a kid making a pinewood derby car, but this application seems like a good candidate.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Just some powdered graphite maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

candle wax?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
Just some powdered graphite maybe?

Only if your curtains are already black or dark grey. Every time you open/close the curtains that stuff is going to rain down on them.

I would probably go the wax route as suggested by dobryan but first I would make sure the tracks are nice and clean. My curtains slide smoothly and I've never had to mess with the tracks. Maybe yours are gummed up with something?

Last edited by SCM on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

interesting idea, I assume you mean rubbing it on each little curtain nub. Never used before. It gets really hot in there so it'd probably melt...? I am hoping not to remove the curtains to add the lube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

That's a great idea, maybe a thorough cleaning would do the trick. The simplest solution is often the best...
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

Thorough cleaning, good-quality silicon lube. If it gets on your curtains, it will waterproof what it touches.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

On zippers I use a dry wax chain lube. Lubes w/o mess or stain - does not attract dirt.

This isn't the brand I use but there are many brands of it out there:

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bicycle-Squeeze-Bottle/dp/B014J2A1BM

Quote:
A wax-style lube that goes on wet and then dries to a heard, dry wax to resist dirt attraction
Maximum cleanliness, no oil film
Formulated with DuPont's super slick Krytox lubricant
Sets up dry and hard to repel contaminants so parts run clean and stay clean
This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
Absorption and deliver maximum performance in the dirtiest of conditions
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

Bar soap is also a pretty good dry lubricant. Just take a bar of your favorite and rub it into the track.
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

i second the bar soap idea- or wax onto the track. works like a dream.
Chris
85 Suby Westy
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best lube for curtains? Reply with quote

I use canning wax to lube eveything from the cast iron table on my table saw to double bass tuning machines to instrument case zippers.

Works great and is scent-free!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: