Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rattling around 2k RPM in 2nd and 4th with no throttle
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
remainsthesame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Rattling around 2k RPM in 2nd and 4th with no throttle Reply with quote

My bus has a rather piercing rattle when completely off the gas and only in 2nd or 4th gear.

In Bently on page 14 of the transmission section it states:

"If a new transmission is being installed, or if excessive driveline noise is being transmitted to the interior of the vehicle, the position of the engine and transmission should be checked and, if necessary, adjusted."

Does this sound like where my problem is, or should I look at the rear shift rod and coupler?

The bus has done this since I bought it, and i recently removed the engine for rebuild, but did not remove the transmission with ti.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you put your hand on the shifter?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
remainsthesame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No change. I removed all the flooring today to hear it a bit better... I can hear the rattle momentarily AS i'm shifting into 2nd or 4th (clutch engaged throughout)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like shift rod bushings or the somtimes seen bent shift rod from letting the trans hang when dropping the engine, any pics of the coupler and rod just infront of it?, is the rod centered in the tube at both ends?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
remainsthesame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't support the transmission when i removed the engine. I'm guessing it wasn't the first time.

It's pretty oily under there. I'll get it cleaned up and post pics tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
remainsthesame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Rattling in 2nd and 4th with no throttle (update with pic) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the coupler with the bus in 4th gear. The bushing that joins both sections is peeling, is it likely that this is my problem?
Gonzo8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattling around 2k RPM in 2nd and 4th with no throttle Reply with quote

Was the rattle ever resolved? I have the same issue with my 71 Bay. It's nice and quiet 1st through 3rd and then in 4th when I give her gas I get a rattle. I put a little tension on the shifter and it goes away. I'm tired of driving with one hand on the steering wheel. I too pulled the engine and did not support the transmission. I was hoping to find out what the answer to the original post was before I pull the engine and trans to access the shifter rod. Thank for your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: