Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poor running 1641 TP
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

A guy walks in to a shop.... doesnt even see all this stuff as its out the back just sees a counter lol!
Clear heater tubes and pre heater exhaust outlets, new manifold boots, new manifold seals. Filters are new and new carb will only just to start ticking over when its really warmed up (maybe 20/30 mins)
Runs lovely while chokes on and when any throttle is given.
Will run a smoke test on the carb again to prove it can't be a third carb only managing 100 miles, if carb is at fault again hopefully will get something back towards a decent replacement.

What is the brake boost part that was mentioned, someone said it might be worth a check?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

If your bus has power assisted front disk brakes then it has a hose that comes off the intake manifold and goes to the brake servo. Disconnect it at the manifold and plug the hole in the manifold with a rubber stopper or such. Now carefully (because your brakes take a lot more leg power now) drive it and see if it does better. If it is better, you have a vacuum leak either in the hose or the servo itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

No hoses attached for power assistance (although I do have front disc brakes)
The 2 outlets on the manifold are totally sealed off.
Will perform a UV smoke test in the next day or two which will hopefully show any air in leak from cylinders to carb.
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Poor running 1641 TP Reply with quote

Ok so 3rd Bocar carb has done the most miles out of the 3 new ones, almost 100miles. Did a smoke test and it was pouring out of both sides of the top spindle and the auto choke on the right.
Supplier mentions he has never had issues like this and for me to return 3 in a row seems ridiculous.
I can't think of anything that I could be doing which is destroying the seals or bushes, especially only after a handfull of miles!
This would explain why everything starts out ok each time I put a new carb on, ticks over when choke drops out etc. then after a short amount of time the ticking over becomes a problem!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: