Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 468, 469, 470 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Sweet! Time to start taking orders!

I think I see a little side gig in your future...??? Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice work on the console. I’m not a fan of putting anything in the walkway...unless it’s a well-crafted wood box with cupholders. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished the "lower part" of the dash harness repair/rebuild/upgrade in my new-to-me 83 diesel tintop. Some time ago there had been a short (mini-tab connector on lamp for heater control came off, shorted against chassis steel and that dash lights circuit isn't fused in this model so away she went!):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I disconnected the fuse panel one wire at a time and labeled them all, installed GoWesty's Daytime Running Light module and Jay Brown's headlight relay kit too:

Found a number of the bronze female 1/4" tab connectors had "lost their grip" (no springiness) so were loose connections. I don't like intermittent electrical problems so replaced all loose or doubtful connectors. Added a solid chassis ground to ground trees (brown wire running down steering wheel support strut). Also installed Jay's high-temp headlight sockets and Hella H-4 upgrade headlights (from GoWesty) into my newly de-rusted, zinc sprayed and powder coated headlight buckets.
Part 2 of this project is to rebuild the dash instrument housing - kind of like putting a crown on a badly decayed tooth, there is a lot of plastic missing. Also to repair "upper harness" wiring damage. More photos to follow.
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Nice work on the console. I’m not a fan of putting anything in the walkway...unless it’s a well-crafted wood box with cupholders. Very Happy

Thanks.

I am also not a fan of blocking the walkway which is why I kept the design low(4ish inches). I could have made it taller but then you loose the ability to walk thru. It is also designed to hold weight so a quick scamper to the back is no big deal.

I also had well worn carpet in the pass through area. This combined with the lack of beer holders were my inspiration. Cool
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Catching up on maintenance that gets away from you when you have young kids...

Cleaned seats (at least 30 passes (buckets of steam cleaner extracted) on each seat)- took at least 15 hours after all said and done over 3 days. Lots and lots of dirty water kept getting sucked out of these seats! Yuck!!

Sent off fuel injectors to Mr Injector

Pulled dash and removed leaky heater core and squeaky fan.

Unluckily- my heater box was glued at the clips. Took extra time to carefully separate the heat box- but all buttoned up and getting put together
12Paths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I Did a light polish on Bellhousing and pulled Subaru harness for swap. I’m pumped I’m finally getting some movement

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: baby got new (red) shes Reply with quote

Baby got pretty new red shoes.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Daughter #2 Begged until I got the camper out... Had to pull Daughter #1's '86 out first, with a chain... Transplant on the '86 is taking them forever (I'm being patient, and somewhat helpful..) Here are both daughters, so happy to get the top up! Then I put the fridge back in.

gkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed Mercedes rims with hardware supplied by Christopher at T3. Rear tires are 27x8.50 and front 205/75r14

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed these on PS of my 2.1 WBX, as instructions from mfg state. By eye, this will lead to pooling of oil inside the tube, but there seems to be no way to grasp the tubes firmly enough to install/remove them if in the opposite direction. Also, the end seals seem to be opposite of intuitive, as the head end seems to be set up to take the smaller seal, and the block end the larger diameter seal. Truth be told, the package comes with all the same size end seals, but you have to stretch them over the ends, and the larger end just gets stretched more.

sparxdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello guys. New to the Vanagon life. So, what did I do to my (1984 tin top) today?

-put some stickers on it. I do this when I'm frustrated and just want to feel better about things.

-I troubleshot crank issues and ended buying a new starter.

-Bought sound deadening insulation for the new floor (vinyl) I'll be installing.

-Sat in the backseat with the rear gate open and let the Santa Monica breeze hit me to stay focused on why I love this thing so much.

Sorry about the randomness.

Danny

[/img]

Last edited by sparxdaddy on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed and reversed the collapsible tubes. Found rocker lifter screw faces scarred and one push rod bent. It IS my circus, and, indeed, that IS my monkey. Recalculating.
sparxdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

gkid wrote:
Installed Mercedes rims with hardware supplied by Christopher at T3. Rear tires are 27x8.50 and front 205/75r14

Looking good!!!
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What else? I took it for a drive

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Having done the passenger side push rod tubes, having noticed the paperclip bent on #1 exhaust lifter, having fixed, and getting Floss out of the garage in the darkness last PM, I decided it was a cold enough morning to look for any exhaust leaks.

Got up early enough to let her run for a while, and watched and listened. The only exhaust indication I could see this (last?) cold morning was from the tail pipe. The sounds I am still hearing seem like an exhaust leak, but I have not identified exactly where as of yet. I guess it could be the driver side lifters, but it sounds more like a 'snap' than a tick-tick-tick. I think its the #3 exhaust/head fasteners came loose again, but I didn't see any exhaust vapor coming from there this morning. At least the passenger side tubes and rocker lash are done for now. So, then I decided to run her down the road, having forgotten the tank was on low orange -> now on low side white line.. barely sputtered back to the driveway, lucky to shut off engine with key. Running out of gas on the first drive of the year is sort of a funny thing, I guess.

Rich_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished adding some bling to the van this evening in the form of purple and yellow powerflex bushings. Alignment scheduled for Monday. Took it for a short test drive and, wow what a difference! Jazzed to check this project off the list and wishing I would’ve done it sooner!

andreaskvistdahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Filled her up with Premium, and went 300km for the first time after ignition, brakes, rust and electric trouble. Felt good to have her on the road again. She hauled a heavy load all the way to my new house up in the Norwegian National park, Jotunheimen Very Happy
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced wiper blades…first time since the van entered my life almost three years ago. And wouldn't you know, they sent me the wrong size for the rear. Rolling Eyes

Also added a battery hold down strap, also long overdue.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Milepost 169965:
Curb side CV Axle started clicking in Puyallup, WA at MP 166097 and finally got around to fixing it. Of course I could not get the outer CV bolts out so had to pull the hub. Tried removing the hub bolts with a box end wrench so I could leave the hub/brakes assembled but that did not work so pulled the axle nut, brakes and hub, leaving the wheel cylinder attached to it's line but loose on the backing plate. Once tackled and figured out, not really a hard job at all.

Yeah, I know, everything's really cruddy. Still is. I'm going to source another hub with complete brakes and rebuild that properly and then swap it out one side at a time rather than have the camper down while I discover and then find the parts needed on this adventure. It's camping/traveling time!

Really happy with the rebuilt NAPA axle but only time will tell. Changed the drivers side in January around MP 164841 and it's inner CV just started clicking about MP 169600. Crappy Advance Auto new part that look and felt like it turned out to be when I installed it...

Had a heck of a time getting the backing plate and wheel cylinder mounted until my wife suggested I flip the backing plate vertically Laughing

Torqueing the outer CV bolts was sure easier off of the car. I may always do the outer CV this way rather than leaving the hub on the car. Just to easy to mess up the Allen cap screws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

If you still have the original axles you might want to hold on to them.

I went through 3 sets of napa/AutoZone type axles inside of a year before I accepted the reality of German Lobro's.

Problem then was the aftermarket axles splines didn't match up with the lobro cv joints. Had to source original axles.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 468, 469, 470 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 469 of 630

Jump to: