Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abbey1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

They say it's one of the largest VW meets in the south, with cars coming from all over the country including Mexico. I was thinking about going, but it would be my first time. Is anyone else going to this event? or has anyone been in the past, and if so then what was your experience?

This year it's going on from 4/20/18 - 4/22/18 in Lady Bird Park outside of Fredericksburg, TX
www.TexasVWclassic.com
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

I've been to it before and plan to go again this year. You can get an idea of the size by looking at the pics on the website you linked, and you really do see folks coming from quite a few different places including Mexico. The swap and vendor area is decent, prices and variety pretty well run the full gamut. I can't comment on the goings on Friday or most of Saturday as I normally don't drive down until midday Saturday, but if there's something you're looking to pick up at the swap you may want to keep in mind it runs the entire weekend, not just the day of the show on Sunday. Unless things have changed, show judging is done by the people who enter their cars in the show, just an FYI if that's something you care about.

If you plan to stay overnight I can tell you the hotels are generally all booked up well in advance, the nearest you can expect to find something spur of the moment will be Kerrville, your other option would be camping in the park itself.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

I'll be going to Fredricksburg Friday afternoon. Fortunately my brother is the Ford dealer there so I'll have a place to stay.
Hoping the weather stays nice, but it can change quickly this time of year in Texas. My 54 Oval has never been wet in the 10 years I've owned it.....we'll see!
See y'all there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

My son and I are going. First time for us and looking forward to it.

It sounds like he wants to go Saturday for certain, to take advantage of the swap meet. We may drive back again on Sunday, it just depends on whether some of the show cars are already on display (I hear that some of the show bugs for Sunday are usually on display Saturday or at least visible in the parking areas, but I assume that is only the case if it doesn't rain Saturday. There is currently a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms Saturday...Sunday looks clear though).

We live in San Antonio, so it's only 70 miles for us. Generally speaking, that's not a long drive, but we decided not to take the bug. We have only had it a couple months and just haven't completed enough of the basics on the engine to feel that it will be reliable enough for the drive. I think we finally got the Autostick and the brakes to where I am comfortable, but needs a major tuning, and possibly new carb and distributor (will see when we do valve adjustment and tune it).

Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

After going to this show over the weekend, I am surprised this is the only thread about it.

This show is huge, definitely the biggest in the South! The area that the show is held at is definitely one of the biggest in the country: Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park.

Great camping, good facilities. Book your RV spot super early or just do primitive camping!

Swap meet was legend!!

I met a lot of really great folks and saw great old friends!

Hot VW's guy was there taking pictures!

Plenty of room for camping and swapping!

An incredible VW family community feel that I have never seen at any other VW show! Plenty of old skool vibes! Much respect to all the clubs!

Best VW show in the country because the guys from Mexico come for it! Hablo Espanol

In one word, WOW!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: TX VW Classic in Fredericksburg, TX 4/21/18 Reply with quote

I made the 180 mile drive down early Sunday morning and spent the day at the show. Lots of good cars, nice people, good BBQ, plenty of vendors with just about anything you need, and a pretty decent swap area with many deals to be had -- I managed to pick up a complete 6v generator with regulator and a good original thermostat for the princely sum of three dollars combined. Overall a very enjoyable experience, one that I plan to attend again next year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: