Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

The suspension and brakes are stock all around. The wheels are new slotted mag style wheels from Empi. They have a +23 ET, so only push the tires out 10mm each side compared to the stock wheels. The tires are P165/80R15 all around. In the future I may cut and turn the front beam 1/4 inch for a mild drop. I would still be able to run the full size tires.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Harvey got new shoes.

Front:
Stock height (soon to change)
16x5.5 Bugwheels Outlaw rims
185/55/16

Post lowering, did you have to reduce the tire size in front? Or did you keep the 185/55 ? If you kept em, any rubbing?
Thanks!

I kept them. Remember, mine are 16" rims though, not 15". I'm not sure they make a 185/55/15.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

They make 185/55/15 size
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
They make 185/55/15 size

Cool. Sonoma will need to realize though they will be shorter than mine.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Should 205/75 provide acceptable fender clearance on stock rear height?
I’d like a wide footprint, but as close to stock height (165/80??) as possible for as cushy a ride.
Or is 205/65 better?

Thanks for any advice.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
Should 205/75 provide acceptable fender clearance on stock rear height?
I’d like a wide footprint, but as close to stock height (165/80??) as possible for as cushy a ride.
Or is 205/65 better?

Thanks for any advice.

I had 205/75-15s all around on my bug, you can see a picture in the gallery. They rub at full lock on the front, and in the rear I needed a 1/4" spacer on stock smoothies as they barely rubbed the spring plate but cleared the fenders easily. They are quite a bit taller than the 165/80-15's I have on there now, about 2". 205/65 should get you much closer to stock ride height and wont mess with your gearing, but you may need a spacer depending on your wheels.
Briangartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Great thread. I am brand new to this world. Love the look and stance of lowered bugs. I am looking to buy and use as a daily driver. As a second car so not actually a daily driver. What's a happy medium between slammed and stock where I can somewhat get the look but still a daily driver. Sorry if this question is breaking the rules of the thread. Thanks for the help
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Hi Guys!
Some message before I've posted some photos of my 1966 slammed beetle.....in the last weeks I've decided to change wheels colour and hubcaps....here there is the new look.....
Cheers from Italy...this was the car 1 mounth ago....

This is the car now....

okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

was wondering if theres a pic with someone that use air suspensions without drop spindles? i have empi disc brake conversions with their spindles that made to hold their calipers. but i cant find any drop spindles to go with it but wanna see how long can air suspension go without drop spindles
sambuckell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

what tyres should i run with 7' 4 stud beetle rims, kinda want abit of tyre lip and dont want it looking to bulky with side tread
2-lo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Spec’s so far are 6” jerfab bagged beam (he must have built mine with his eyes closed as nothing fits) 1.25” pie cut frame head, UJ steering, lower column bearing, 2” tank raise, mini tubs in the works, 155/60/15 ports walls and 15x4.5’s with moon discs, rear is fresh kustoms adjustable 1-6” drop plates, shaved bump stops, Monroe 5752 shocks with custom bump stops, 1” wheels spacers, 185/60/15 with porta walls on 15x4.5 wheels with moon discs. Still a few things to finish, will be doing flat pans, maybe smoothies 5.5x15 in the rear, maybe rear bags and probably taller tires all round but the look pretty much where I want it for now.

[/img]
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

moon discs and porta walls give it a cool look.

cheers
ChiefRocka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

stizz wrote:
Airride 155/60 fronts. And 195/65 rear on 6 1/2 steelies

Looks good man !

Would you say 6 1/2" would be max on the rear ??

Is that a stock backset ??
stizz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

It’s up to you but 6.5 with stock back space is awesome with air ride
muravr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

apozzo wrote:
Hi Guys!
Some message before I've posted some photos of my 1966 slammed beetle.....in the last weeks I've decided to change wheels colour and hubcaps....here there is the new look.....
Cheers from Italy...this was the car 1 mounth ago....

Extra cool and very nice car Stefano! Your '66 Beetle looks like great with tis stance! Cool
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Here's my '67 currently

2.5" drop spindles on stock beam, stock wheels, 145R15
2" drop plates, widened 5.5 stock wheels, 205/75R15

I've been toying with the idea of changing tire sizes. I'd like to have a wider tire in the front, I'm thinking a 165. Not sure on the aspect ratio. I'd like a 185 but heard that's pushing it for a 4.5" wheel.

I'm also thinking about going to a smaller tire in the rear. I've been thinking 185, again unsure of the aspect ratio. I like the look of the meaty tire out back, but think it would look good with a smaller tire. I'd like to lower the rear of the car another inch or so, but don't really want to mess with splines, so I thought a smaller tire could help me drop a little too.

I'm aware that a smaller rear tire will increase my rpm. I've run the calculators and am ok with where I'd be rpm wise. I wondering how the acceleration will change with a smaller tire, say 185. I've got a 1914 in there and it's not slow, but any improvement is always good! I'm not trying to make top speed passes, so I'm ok with loosing a little on the high end.

What do you guys think?
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

This is my 66 today, we went out for a good run, as it’s a holiday weekend in the UK.
She’s now running all stock suspension, with Repop Porsche Fuchs
Wheels are 5.5J x 15, and for tyres, on the back they are 195x65x15’s with 1” spacers, up front no spacers, but tyres are 175x65x15’s.
I think she is sitting a touch too high at the front ? What do you reckon ? What’s the fix ? Without too much modification, as I may want to go back stock in a couple of years Very Happy

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Awesome thread! Amazing information!

Before I start buying I wanted to get some feedback. Based upon everyone's posts and where I want to have my 67 sit I'm thinking:

Front
2.5" drop spindles
Stock Beam
Disc brake conversion (Wilwood)
Stock 15" wheels
145/65 tires (Smart car)

Rear:
2.5" Drop Spring plates
stock wheels
195/65 tires
Disc brakes

I know every car is different, but am I on the right track? Any obvious mistakes?

Also, I found this nice little took that calculates and compares tire sizes. Someone might need it:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

adding some drop spindles in front will probably level out the ride height. easy to swap out if you decide to go stock later

Murt wrote:
This is my 66 today, we went out for a good run, as it’s a holiday weekend in the UK.
She’s now running all stock suspension, with Repop Porsche Fuchs
Wheels are 5.5J x 15, and for tyres, on the back they are 195x65x15’s with 1” spacers, up front no spacers, but tyres are 175x65x15’s.
I think she is sitting a touch too high at the front ? What do you reckon ? What’s the fix ? Without too much modification, as I may want to go back stock in a couple of years Very Happy

TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

sounds like a solid start. most stock 67s tend to have some reverse rake. if yours does, then doing the same drop on all four corners will still result in some reverse rake. if i was going this mild on a drop, i would put the drop spindles on and see how it sits first. it may only take some small adjustments of the stock rear plates to get it to sit perfect

ManFromNapa wrote:
Awesome thread! Amazing information!

Before I start buying I wanted to get some feedback. Based upon everyone's posts and where I want to have my 67 sit I'm thinking:

Front
2.5" drop spindles
Stock Beam
Disc brake conversion (Wilwood)
Stock 15" wheels
145/65 tires (Smart car)

Rear:
2.5" Drop Spring plates
stock wheels
195/65 tires
Disc brakes

I know every car is different, but am I on the right track? Any obvious mistakes?

Also, I found this nice little took that calculates and compares tire sizes. Someone might need it:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 106 of 114

Jump to: