Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery switch and wire
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

Cleaning up the wiring has been on my TODO list for quite some time, but I somehow manage only to do it bit by bit. After doing some fixes today, I came across these two items that had me a bit puzzled:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mystery switch

I need to trace both wires of this two-terminal part, but it seems at least one of them is connected to +12V switched.

As it has only the two terminals, I assume it is a switch of some sort. It has a VW stamped logo, but no part number.

I was hoping someone might recognize it due to its peculiar shape.

Mystery wire

This is part of a PO hack: he used a household mains cable, cut off the ground wire and used the phase and neutral wires to carry signals/power from the engine compartment to the dashboard.

One of the wires connects the ignition coil's (-) terminal to the tach signal at the front. That's sorted

The second one is the one I can't quite understand: it connects the ignition coil's (+) terminal to what would appear to be the ignition switch at the front.

Looking at the pictures, it connects the blue wire from the coil's #15 terminal (+) to a red/black wire and ultimately to a gray/black cable that goes from the fuse box through the steering column mini-harness to the ignition switch.

And looking at the wiring diagrams on track 10, it seems to be a way of repurposing the original wire for the ignition key warning buzzer relay (now gone).

But I have no clue what the purpose of connecting the ignition switch Su terminal to the coil's #15 terminal is.

Any ideas?

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

It's an early splitbus wiper switch, what your PO had in mind is only something they can answer, security system perhaps?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

Looks like the same switch used for the rear interior light in a bus. I've used them to operate an aftermarket fog light relay, wired between headlight switch terminal #58 (tail lights) and the relay coil, so the fog lights only operate when the headlight switch is not off.

If the wire from the ignition switch is gray, it's likely an aftermarket switch. The gray wire is 'hot' when the key is in the 'off' position. Not terribly useful in a bus - unsolder or cut it off at the switch.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

Mystery switch

busdaddy wrote:
It's an early splitbus wiper switch

Indeed, mine looks exactly like the two-terminal one on this picture from the classifieds, thanks for the pointer!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2110719

Maybe I don't understand how the switch is operated, but I see no use for it as it is now, mounted behind the fuse box and without a knob (although the two nuts on the shaft make a poor man's version), which makes it impossible to manually actuate it.

Or is there another use for such a switch I don't foresee?

Mystery wire

busdaddy wrote:
what your PO had in mind is only something they can answer, security system perhaps?

Good point, I actually thought of that, although I don't see any other remains of it.

telford dorr wrote:
If the wire from the ignition switch is gray, it's likely an aftermarket switch. The gray wire is 'hot' when the key is in the 'off' position. Not terribly useful in a bus - unsolder or cut it off at the switch.

It cannot be fully appreciated in the picture, but the ignition switch wire is gray/black. The picture also makes it seem like the switch has 4 wires, where it should have 5 according to the circuit diagrams above. I'll double check later on in the day, though.

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

The factory uses a black wire for the #15 ignition circuit and it looks like the PO removed one end of the #15 wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box from the box and attached it to your mystery switch and then ran a wire from the other side of the switch on to the fuse box. This would act as a kill switch preventing the engine from running when in the "OFF" position.

If the terminals on that switch make contact with a ground, you are going to smoke your ignition switch so assuming you keep it, I would recommend adding heat shrink over the wire ends and maybe adding other non conductive physical protection for the switch.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

green is the traditional color of a tach wire. when I see extra wires and hidden switches going back my first suspicion would be a fuel pump cutoff.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch an wire Reply with quote

I had some more fun tracing today, and indeed I can confirm the mystery switch is a kill switch. However, the mystery wire keeps puzzling me.

Here's what I saw: mystery wire comes from #15 (+) and ends up in the front as a GY/BK wire into the ignition switch. In fact, that GY/BK wire was originally the door buzzer signal (Su), but the PO removed the terminal from the ignition switch and recrimped it together with the #15 (+) terminal. You can see it in this picture:

The weird thing is, that relocated wire seems to be a bypass for the kill switch. With it, the kill switch has no effect, as the bypass closes the #15 power signal circuit. Like this:

I don't quite get why getting the trouble of installing a kill switch and then going the extra trouble of creating a bypass (even recrimping the ignition switch) and rendering it useless.

Decode your M-Plate
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's what I saw: mystery wire comes from #15 (+) and ends up in the front as a GY/BK wire into the ignition switch. In fact, that GY/BK wire was originally the door buzzer signal (Su), but the PO removed the terminal from the ignition switch and recrimped it together with the #15 (+) terminal.

everybody is an expert in their own mind.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

Previous owner X installed kill switch and then goes through some kind of life trauma (divorce, job loss, illness, etc) and disappears from the scene. His wife or heirs then sell the his van as a non runner because it will not start.

Previous owner X+1 buys the non runner and jury rigs power to the ignition so that the bus will run. He fails to figure out that he also needs power to other items on the #15 circuit so the alternator never works nor several other systems, so he sell the van to another owner.

Eventually you become owner X+1+1+1...+1 and begin to try to figure out how the wiring ever got so screwed up.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

And here I am, striving to become a better +1... Smile

Decode your M-Plate
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

How about: owner cobbs in a kill switch, not realizing that the switch chosen can't handle the load (because it's designed to run a dome light). Switch predictably fails. New owner doesn't want to bother to figure out the mess, so he cobbs in a bypass wire, using small scraps of whatever wire is laying around. and a dozen random butt splices, and it (sort of) works. Job done. You buy it, and wonder WTF's going on. And here we are...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery switch and wire Reply with quote

Good points, thanks.

I'll remove the bypass in any case, but I'm considering leaving the kill switch in for now. At some point I might replace it with either a switch of a known power rating or just remove it altogether. I'm not too convinced how effective it is as an anti-theft device if it can be found just behind the fuse box.

In any case, I've been trying to find out more about the rating of that split bus switch I've got.

Unfortunately, there is no part number or manufacturer markings on the switch itself to find out its power rating. Perhaps a good guess is to look at the wiring diagrams of a split bus where it was used. Following the switch line to the fuse box, it is protected by an 8 A fuse. So if I'm not mistaken, it should hold that current, even if for a short time.

However, the #15 track that the switch is interrupting is effectively unfused. While its branches do have fuses, that main trunk goes from the ignition switch to the ignition coil directly. The wire is 2.5 mm², which looking at specs should hold roughly 22 A @ 30°C.

In summary, I think the switch is not designed to hold the worst-case current through the line it's on. It's still functioning and I think it would work in most cases... until it fails. So if I were to keep it, I'd probably have to shop for a beefier one. Yet I'm not convinced by the usefulness of kill switches.

Long story short, I think I'll remove it and bridge the #15 line back together. Thanks for helping me collect my thoughts and bring the wiring closer to stock Smile

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: