Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator conversion questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Hi gang!
I have a '66 Bug that the P.O. put a 1600DP out of a '73 into. Whole car is converted to 12v, but it still has a generator. I'm looking into converting to an alternator as the generator isn't charging well despite changing brushes/checked wiring/etc. Someone told me that the alternator should just mount right up to my engine, but I was under the impression that I need a new stand/pully and a riser for my carb (34Pict). Is this correct, or do I need to order one of the complete mounting kits?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture for reference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

an alternator needs an alternator stand but a generator will fit both. The pic looks like a generator stand.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

34 PICT clearance depends on the accel pump linkage on your carb. Someimes its really close and a little grinding on the alternator case takes care of it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

you can use the generator fuel pump but... if you want to be able to take it in and out they make a shorter alternator friendly fuel pump that has more clearance for removal and replacement later on. the alternator friendly fuel pump uses a shorter rod as well so don't forget to switch the fuel pump rod if you go that route. I put an alternator on mine and I like it. Also, the alternator I have does not use the voltage regulator that was under the passenger rear seat. So I removed that and hooked the wires from the where the regulator was together in some particular way. There are threads on that wiring modification and it was not hard at all.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

p.s. I love the color of your bug. I just picked up a gallon of Hugger Orange to paint mine. Its a 70s GM muscle car orange. What is yours?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Ok, thanks guys! I thought I would need to get the kit, any way to tell a generator stand from the alternator stand? And do you guys know if the kits would come with spacers for the carb if I need it?
The paint is Coral from the early 2000's Thunderbird ('03 or '04?) that the previous owner had it painted, the car was originally Sea Blue I believe.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

generator left, alternator right from the gallery Wink
I don't think the kits come with the spacer?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

There is a part number that identifies it. Look at someplace like CIP1.com and you will probably find it. You may or may not need a spacer. If you need one, you may have clearance problems with your air cleaner. Also, if using a spacer, you may be able to have it milled down shorter, which can help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks guys!
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

The other things that would be helpful is a 2x2 spade connector, and one or two 1x1s (cannot remember off the top of my head). That will allow you to bypass the voltage regulator.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

FYI if you are running one or more high wattage electrical items then the alternator will help.

If the system is basically stock it is very likely not going to help, because there is something wrong in the electrical system.

Could be even just a missing or dirty/corroded body to transaxle cable.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

No crazy electric stuff yet, but eventually. I figure future proofing can't hurt.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
No crazy electric stuff yet, but eventually. I figure future proofing can't hurt.

Then you would be better off then fixing what you have now.

Problem with alternators is they are not good at surviving sudden changes in electrical demand and can go bad due to that. Generators on the other hand will survive a lot of abuse.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

I'd just troubleshoot and fix what you have. Has to be generator or voltage regulator or the wiring.

Do you have a good ground for the regulator? Is that it on the right hand side of engine compartment? If so, I'd super check for good grounding, maybe run a supplemental ground wire to the regulator !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Yeah, regulator is on the right side of the engine bay, which I thought was weird. I'll double check the grounding on it, make sure it's good. I didn't think about the regulator not being ground well. Not much of an electrician...
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Hard to tell in the picture but is your generator being grounded through the strap? There should be a ground hole on the body of the generator. I put dielectric grease on every electrical connector I touch, including grounding points. I have found they can corrode very quickly.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Agent47 wrote:
There should be a ground hole on the body of the generator.

Yes, this ground wire should be connected too, and if not present, run a ground wire there too.

Is that regulator mounted to the METAL on the side wall or just the tar board? Run good ground wires to both !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
... any way to tell a generator stand from the alternator stand?

This pic highlights the difference in the stands:

The larger diameter area of the alternator body needs part of the stand to be cut back so it fits. The smaller diameter area is the same as the generator so the straight body of the generator will fit onto the alternator stand.

SparksLP wrote:
And do you guys know if the kits would come with spacers for the carb if I need it?

I don't think I've seen any kits that come with the carb spacer. They need to be purchased separately (if needed).

If your carb is from a '74 Beetle or is aftermarket it may already be set up for alternator use. The linkage for the accelerator pump was changed when VW switched to alternators. The carb spacer is designed to lift the carb up to avoid the generator carb's accelerator pump linkage from contacting the alternator body. This pic shows the alternator linkage (generator linkage is the dotted lines). And "no" they are not the same linkage just rotated 90-deg. If you have a carb with generator linkage you will need to source an alternator linkage (or a whole carb w/ the proper linkage).

Another option... grind the case of the alternator body to allow room for the generator linkage to move freely.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

Why do it? EVERY one of our drivers (5) except one have the alternator conversion, plus both future projects. I like the added power and simplicity. If doing it, get a good alternator. I use Bosch and have put over 30,000 miles on my 65 bug so far with it.....
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion questions Reply with quote

The regulator is mounted to the metal part, not just tar board. All the other wires look good. Would it be worth buying a cheap regulator and see if that fixes the problem? I won't be converting to the alternator for a few weeks, my brother in law has all the tools I need for dropping the motor and whatnot. Maybe swapping that out would tell me if it's the wires or something else. None of the wires are original, everything is black, so whoever converted it just spliced stuff together...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: