Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Im correcting the engine combination issue I created.

This engine is in my Bus. And will stay there.

Engjne:
1776 type 1
9.3-1 CR
W110 cam
Stock crank
3 angle lap job stock vw heads
Going to be 1 3/8" exhaust

I have the option to purchase what appears to be a nice pair of "italy" (it doesnt say made in italy or balogna just has "italy" molded on it) or a new hpmx kit from jbugs?

Or should I keep looking for a used set of dellortos 36's or 40 DCNF's?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"

Last edited by Spike0180 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

The used carbs could cost more in the long run. If you do get used ones, make sure you trust the source you're getting them from. Many have bought the "they ran great when I took them off" story, myself included. When we could have bought new.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

People are going to knock the hpmx carbs but I'll give you some first hand experience. I've been running them for about 6 months on and off road, after setting the floats and tuning the idle speed screws there great carbs. Only issue I have is the linkage, I have to synch them every month or so, so if you do buy them I would look at getting some cb linkage. The Heim joints on the empi down rods have way to much clearance in them to hold a tune for a long time. You might be able to just get cb down rods but I'm not sure, I'm might actually try that lol.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

hmmm... Outside the EMPI HPMX's, do other knockoffs tend to be comparable or is EMPI doing better than the others?

Specifically the ones AA Performance sells?

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Form what I have read here.
The HPMX carbs are pretty good and an affordable choice.

I recently installed a used pair of 36 Dellorto DRLA's on a 1679.
I could not believe the difference compared to a set of knock off 40 IDF's.
These Dells are the real deal.

Now since I'm upping the fun factor on my latest build (2180 ala Glenn Ring style, kinda). I intend on using a pair of EMPI D-series 45. Cool Hopefully these 45's will work well.
I took the 45's completely apart to clean and set the float levels the day I received them.
EMPI made some improvements to some of the internal components and increased the float bowel size. These carbs were found to be very clean upon inspection. But still went into the ultrasonic cleaner.

Sorry for the ramble.

Just keep in mind that any carb, be it new or used. Needs to be cleaned, inspected and have the floats set before installation.
Doing anything less will spell trouble. Even if the vendor say's "ready to run" in their add. Don't believe it.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Running a set of HPMX's on my 1904cc. After 5 years and very little driving (less than 10,000 miles) the throttle shaft has worn the carb body and have various vacuum leaks. Would not buy again.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Running a set of HPMX's on my 1904cc. After 5 years and very little driving (less than 10,000 miles) the throttle shaft has worn the carb body and have various vacuum leaks. Would not buy again.

Your throttle shafts dont have bearings?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Even without bearings they can have problems. The bearings have to fit tightly in the carbs, and in the MIDDLE between there is no bearing, so if the shaft is tweaked it will wear the middle. On rare occasion even Italian IDFs will develop too much end-play, and wear the sides of the throttle blades.
If you have to -learn- the IDF carbs either way....New/used what's the difference? If I was starting again today I'd get the new ones and try it....but, just doing it for fun isn't real exiting, unless there is some promise they will be in any way superior to what I already have, and there really isn't.
Maybe your first set should be REAL webers, that you learn on, so you know what it's all supposed to look like at least.

The HPMX use a larger venturi and top bore than the commonly sold 40 idfs, so that's neat if you want to try 32mm or larger vents, but on stock heads you want probably 28-30mm so there should be no advantage I can see to get HPMX over Weber
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
YDBD wrote:

Your throttle shafts dont have bearings?

There is a bearing on the outside of each throttle shaft. Worst leak was on the front of the right carb. There is a bearing there, but only metal step washer to seal, I think it's leaking around the bearing. Tried an o ring and made a gasket but can't get it to seal. The center section has no bearing or bushing, which also has the accelerator pump collar on it and cause more pressure on shaft wearing into the aluminum body.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Cheap carbs suffer a lot of press fit parts that...are loose.
What to do??? Loctite!!!!

Apply a thin film of loctite 510 to the bearing OD and housing before you assemble.
Prep with a dremel size brass wire brush.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Well, I purchased some Weber Italian 40's. They appear to be in good condition, and the seller claims they are in good condition though he doesn't know the history and hasn't run them on anything. So... not super convincing I guess. Anyway, here are some pictures from the seller:

I'll post how they work out later this summer.

I have reserves about the linkage, but for now it'll have to do.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts? opinions?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

HPMX
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Linkage looks like CB performance except for the carb plate which is aluminum. Check the classifieds or ebay. Check the heim joints for play, other than that it's about the best out there.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Linkage looks like CB performance except for the carb plate which is aluminum. Check the classifieds or ebay. Check the heim joints for play, other than that it's about the best out there.

Oh, is it an older CB linkage? It doesn't look like the one on their site now. As long as I don't have to adjust it 10x a year we'll be good. I'm fine adjusting every time I change oil/do a tuneup.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Linkage-Accessories-s/161.htm

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Your cross bar looks the same, but the carbs should have the aluminum plate. The EMPI HPMX's I have now have a stamped steel instead, not as good and the heim joints sucks.

This was the old CB performance Hexbar from the 90's which is about the same as they sell now.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

Spike, There are no cb parts in your linkage. Thats Redline style linkage. Its ok but beware when clamping down the linkage arms, as they can crack easy. Cast aluminum doesnt like to flex.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Spike, There are no cb parts in your linkage. Thats Redline style linkage. Its ok but beware when clamping down the linkage arms, as they can crack easy. Cast aluminum doesnt like to flex.

That is great information! Thank you. (my ford truck background probably would have messed that one up. lol)

Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

Looks exactly like my empi linkage but with a bearing kit and different down rods. I guess the cross bar and arms don't really matter anyway lol. Empi down rods suck.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New empi hpmx 40's or lightly used Italian Weber 40 idf's? Reply with quote

I think CB was the first hex bar then a lot of copies after that. It might be in your best interest to find new...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: