Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine not level?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amermel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Hi

I am a newbie to VW's with a 67 vert. While looking at the engine today I realized it hangs lower on the left side (I initially thought it was the gasket being bad, bud then realized the engine is lower on one side).

Would the cause be the transmission mount?
Left (lower side) pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right side:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Do I see a gap between engine and transmission?

How about a photo of the entire engine?

And post either:
1. Clearer photos

2. Way-clearer photos
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Check mounts, frame horns and cradle. KKinda looks like the whole thing is not far enough forward. Also, that is the wrong seal for the firewall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

check for bent frame horns put the car on a flat floor measure from the fame horn to the floor on both sides not to the cross frame
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amermel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. After taking measurements, it appears the engine is level (after checking height from horn, also checked height to valve covers - there pretty even).

So it seems the front engine cover plate drops on one side, as well the left rear cylinder plate being lower in rear

Below are more pictures. Thanks for all the help

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

ok its level, but you have big gaps.

1.. Sheet metal on motor maybe bent, bend it back into place.

2.. Motor mounts have softened and shrunk, causing motor to tilt back down, increasing gaps, inspect mounts, replace as needed.

3.. Bug body is bent, very unikely

You need new motor to body rubber seals.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Amermel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciate the items to do and look for.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

if you pull the motor to get things right and install the seals, consider installing the firewall sound proofing, vw part vendors offer some good reproductions of this important noise reduction material. Just be sure you use ALL the factory clils to prevent the padding from falling off and blocking the fan inlet!

The only practical way to install the firewall is with the motor removed., so plan ahead, the rubber seals are easier to install with motor out, while your at it, new fuel hose under the car if needed, since you will have one end disconnected for motor pull then you can at same time relocate the fire hazard duel filter under the car near the tranny where if it leaks, there is no spark source, as it is, if yours dumps fuel it will be on the dizzie, spark, kaboom!

also see link below this here post on safety wires and engine fires, this issue needs to be addressed on all classic Bugs, even yours

You engine bay looks pretty nice, classic two horn aircleaner and all, just get that firewall padding installed, a little clean up, remove that fuel filter, and replace the rubber and you will habe a pretty sanitary stock looking motor bay. It will tidy up nicely!

Bug On Bugger!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
if you pull the motor to get things right and install the seals, consider installing the firewall sound proofing, vw part vendors offer some good reproductions of this important noise reduction material. Just be sure you use ALL the factory clils to prevent the padding from falling off and blocking the fan inlet!

The only practical way to install the firewall is with the motor removed., so plan ahead, the rubber seals are easier to install with motor out, while your at it, new fuel hose under the car if needed, since you will have one end disconnected for motor pull then you can at same time relocate the fire hazard duel filter under the car near the tranny where if it leaks, there is no spark source, as it is, if yours dumps fuel it will be on the dizzie, spark, kaboom!

also see link below this here post on safety wires and engine fires, this issue needs to be addressed on all classic Bugs, even yours

You engine bay looks pretty nice, classic two horn aircleaner and all, just get that firewall padding installed, a little clean up, remove that fuel filter, and replace the rubber and you will habe a pretty sanitary stock looking motor bay. It will tidy up nicely!

Bug On Bugger!

firewall sound proofing, vw part vendors offer some good reproductions of this important noise reduction material.

i think you are mistaken the stuff that is sold today is crap .
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

read this and see what you think about tar boards

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664666&highlight=
Amermel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine not level? Reply with quote

Thanks,

I am going to check the mounts, but figuring the mounts are shot. Never pulled an engine on a bug before, but from what I've seen it appears a lot easier then my old 289 I did 35 yrs ago. Just debating when, as it is a weekend driver that I just drive around town - never further than 15 miles. Thinking I may wait till I need to do something else such as the clutch, motor, or trans gives problems (car runs well right now). With the light driving hoping it is not subjected to too much heat from the bad rubbers.

I do want to add the tar boards, probably I'll buy the ones from Chris Vallone, as well as cleaning up and repainting the tin while the engine is out. Also thinking of purchasing one of the restored pierburg fuel pumps, as they have a screen in them already, so thinking I do not need to have another filter.

Btw, already have the restored carburetor from volkbitz, with the barbed, threaded fitting. Did that based upon your thread on the fittings pulling out and wanted piece of mind without adding wires. Great warning, as I too have seen too many burned up cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: