Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Made a little progress on the '67 project
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Added some gas struts to the '67 project....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And got around to installing my Gab-Fab engine bay side covers

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Looks great, I am thinking of going the strut route as well. What measurement did you use for mounting the strut brackets? EDIT: Specifically the measurement at the center screw. Any pics of that or can you provide? I've looked at the threads discussing this, but always wondering what others have done when mounting these struts.

Also, what pound and length did you use? Any issues? Have you checked that it locked down into the latch with no problems?
Thanks,
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Last edited by rbsurfguy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Let me add this to Jeff's questions. How is access to the engine compartment while standing to the side? Have you done a trial run of reaching into what will eventually be the back of the fan shroud? That has always been my concern with struts.

My concerns not withstanding, that engine bay is looking GOOOOD Cool

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

What do the Gab Fab panels attach to on the other side?

i have struts in engine compartment, Ive had no issues or interference working on the motor. They pop off in seconds if ever needed. Then you have to go find the broom handle Wink . I think i bought 20lb struts off RockAuto. They were the cheapest i could find...like $11 ea. Might be a good idea to get good ones as mine dont hold they weight like they did in the beginning (5-6 years).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
What do the Gab Fab panels attach to on the other side?

i have struts in engine compartment, Ive had no issues or interference working on the motor. They pop off in seconds if ever needed. Then you have to go find the broom handle Wink . I think i bought 20lb struts off RockAuto. They were the cheapest i could find...like $11 ea. Might be a good idea to get good ones as mine dont hold they weight like they did in the beginning (5-6 years).

I welded tabs in 3 places and fabbed a bracket for the upper rear bolt that is held down by the tail light wingnut. I used 1/4-20 machine screws with the extruded u-nuts...

One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Looks great, I am thinking of going the strut route as well. What measurement did you use for mounting the strut brackets? EDIT: Specifically the measurement at the center screw. Any pics of that or can you provide? I've looked at the threads discussing this, but always wondering what others have done when mounting these struts.

Also, what pound and length did you use? Any issues? Have you checked that it locked down into the latch with no problems?
Thanks,
Jeff

I took the advice of some of the folks on here and ordered the Hot VWs April 2004 issue that includes the article called "Strut it up". It was $8.99 and I got it in about 4 days. That being said, I actually found enough info within the forums including some measurement pics to get the job done. I put a length of tape down the body alongside the engine bay opening with the deckled closed. Then I measured down from the top of the deckled down 8" and marked the tape (deckled bracket), then down another 11" from there and made a second mark on the tape (body bracket).You'll have to transfer the top mark (8") to the underside of the deckled for the center bolt mount of the strut. If you search the Ghia forum for "deckled struts" you should be able to find the measurement pics. If not, let me know. I think I had both struts installed in about 3 hours.

It's up on a body dolly right now so I haven't had a chance to check for accessibility into the engine compartment. See Darrel's comment below.

I ordered the 20lb lifting power struts that measure from 11" closed to 17" open. I happen to find a set in stainless for $24.95 with free shipping on Amazon.
It really was pretty easy....

Mike
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you gain by installing the struts?

The springs have performed almost flawlessly on millions of VW's since the 1940's.

Are the struts simply a touch of modern "Bling"?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

The struts allows you to put any carb arrangement you want. A common problem in Ghias is that the air filters hit the springs when closing the lid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
The struts allows you to put any carb arrangement you want. A common problem in Ghias is that the air filters hit the springs when closing the lid.

Thanks!
That makes sense now.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I've read through the forums and the HVW article, just wanted your take. Does sound pretty easy, and if Darrel has done it, then I for sure need the same thing! Since I am running dual Weber's with tall stacks, I am just trying to anticipate clearance problems, just in case, unless I can find a lower profile air cleaner that will clear the springs.

The side panel idea is great as well, should have thought of the tabs before I sent my Ghia into paint...oh well, I am sure I can find another way to mount the side panels scanning through the forums.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

I like the use of the U-nuts. nice!.
This thread covers much of the strut replacement questions. I thought i had a link to the 2004 HVW's article in my build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks Mike, I've read through the forums and the HVW article, just wanted your take. Does sound pretty easy, and if Darrel has done it, then I for sure need the same thing! Since I am running dual Weber's with tall stacks, I am just trying to anticipate clearance problems, just in case, unless I can find a lower profile air cleaner that will clear the springs.

The side panel idea is great as well, should have thought of the tabs before I sent my Ghia into paint...oh well, I am sure I can find another way to mount the side panels scanning through the forums.
Jeff

Jeff,
I have seen pics of folks using these locations for mounting....no damage to the paint.

just drill through the side covers into the flange, utilize speed nuts or the u-nuts that I used and your good to go!

You would have to make a bracket for an upper rear mount, but that's no trouble...
Mike
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

That's excellent advice Mike, thanks. I was going to figure out something. Regarding the U-nuts, I looked up the company that makes the brand you show, did you buy from them direct or another source? They appear to sell only in large commercial amounts. I'll search the net a little more and sure I will find.
Thanks again,
Jeff

One Year Wonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
That's excellent advice Mike, thanks. I was going to figure out something. Regarding the U-nuts, I looked up the company that makes the brand you show, did you buy from them direct or another source? They appear to sell only in large commercial amounts. I'll search the net a little more and sure I will find.
Thanks again,
Jeff

I found these at a local True Value hardware along with the stainless fastners...

Mike
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Made a little progress on the '67 project Reply with quote

Noted, thanks Mike!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: