Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlights driving me nuts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

I have the South African grill/headlights on an '83.5 Westy. I have no headlights at all on low beam, and on high beam, the highs (outer lights) turn on and only one inner light turns on.

I replaced the headlight switch but that didn't fix it. Then I replaced the ignition switch and the problem was fixed. For a few days. This evening the low beams went out again, just like before. Could the new ignition switch have gone bad already? Should I go ahead replace it again? What else could it be? The ground crowns? They are pretty shiny and clean-looking. I serviced them when I installed the SA grill about 10 years ago.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

ckissick wrote:
I have the South African grill/headlights on an '83.5 Westy. The ground crowns? They are pretty shiny and clean-looking. I serviced them when I installed the SA grill about 10 years ago.

Need some clarification on this one! You serviced them 10 yrs. ago, but have you cleaned them since?
If not go ahead and clean them again.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

Or put in local grounds (sanded down to bare metal) close to the headlights.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

I doubt that replacing the ignition switch was what fixed your problem, more likely it was coincidental. Moving things around and bumping the harness may have "corrected" the problem temporarily. Check your voltages at the S3-S6 fuses.

Were relays added for your lights?
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

Relays were added.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Headlights driving me nuts Reply with quote

Check at fuses to be certain voltage is going out to each bulb.
White & White/Black wires for high beams
Yellow and yellow/black wires for low beams
If voltage but no lights, then it will likely be a grounding issue.
Do you notice any funkiness with the front running lights as the headlights come and go? They share a ground return path with headlights, if they work until you turn the headlights on, there is a clue that grounds are a problem.
"Local grounds" as mentioned above will solve that. In the "some's good, more is better" category, I like to use a "butt splice" into the ground wires for each side, leaving the original ground connected and adding a short wire to local ground. Extra points for using a sealing heat-shrink splice so it won't ever corrode: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor-marine--heat-shrink-butt-connectors--P009_275_004_003 or from other sources, Jay Brown includes these with his high-temp sockets.
Also do the "ground tree maintenance", plus maybe the crimp lugs on the ends of the wires have lost their springy grip and need to be replaced.
Any chance the lamp sockets are contributing to trouble? Make sure they're clean, then a thin bit of silicone grease to hold off corrosion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: