Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights, anyone try these?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Flame suit on for what might be a dumb question, but one that I've been pondering...

Incandescent bulbs get hot and subsequently melt snow and ice off of the lenses. LED's stay cool, correct? Has anybody had any issues with snow and ice building up on LED's and deforming/degrading the light performance?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I've certainly seen that posted as a criticism. Despite living in a heavy snow location, I almost never drive in the snow and if I were to do so, the vanagon wouldn't be my choice for driving, so for me it is a non-issue. After the next night drive I take I will feel them by hand to see if they are warm.

If I ever did find myself in an emergency situation where I needed to drive the vanagon in falling snow, I would not be put out by needing to occasionally pull over and clean them off if necessary. I'd still consider it a fair trade for the much improved lighting in 99.9% of the driving.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

often my roadtrips are not in winter but do involve snow..
was snowed in at Yellowstone this past September
news link

took a couple tries to get out of the campground, and sat at a closed road gate for a hour+. they weren't in any hurry to clear the ~8in heavy wet snowfall.
ended up leaving via the west entrance/exit and making my way to the Tetons via Idaho. certainly wasn't as planned.. and well that's ok..
we were far more prepared than most tourists that week.. both vans had plenty of food, water and propex Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I guess it's not a problem for all of the newer cars that have LED's. I've been in blizzards in the Rockies and even worse driving across Kansas that covered the headlights eventually. Just curious more than anything.

I think the much smaller electrical draw would be worth it alone.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Not a dumb question at all! The plan is for our bus to never, ever hit snow... but, we recently had an engine conversion completed and pickup wasn't until mid-Dec. I drove in a snowstorm for a couple of hours and yes, the lights did end up caked with wet snow. Should be the only time it ever happens to us (ha ha ha... jinxed myself there didn't I!)

But, Truck-Lite makes the same model with a defrost element built into the lens.

The rollout of LED stoplights in some parts of Canada was slowed due to poor performance in their first winter - freezing rain and blowing snow stuck to the lenses. Not sure if a defrost element was added or some other means of generating/managing heat, but the feature was quickly added.
Cheers...

joetiger wrote:
Flame suit on for what might be a dumb question, but one that I've been pondering...

Incandescent bulbs get hot and subsequently melt snow and ice off of the lenses. LED's stay cool, correct? Has anybody had any issues with snow and ice building up on LED's and deforming/degrading the light performance?

llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

After a few white knuckled nighttime drives in the mountains, I was about to buy a headlight relay kit and upgrade to higher wattage halogen bulbs for my 85. Today I pulled the headlights and found they are old sealed beams so I need to replace the whole shebang.

So now I'm considering these LED lamps.

Waldo or Heidi, do you have any pics of your lamps installed. I'm curious what the black lamps look like.

Also, is there any advantage to having the relay with the LED lights? As I understand to the relay prevents the higher amperage circuit from running through the switch and also lessens the voltage drop of the run. So, according to my understanding, there would still be an improvement. Or is it totally unnecessary?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

The LED bulbs are usually digitally controlled, and the spec sheet will usually say something like "works with 10-16 VDC". In my experience, because there is a voltage converter somewhere in the control circuit anyway, there is no perceptible loss of brightness between 10 VDC and 16 VDC.

That removes the argument of a voltage drop being a big issue for these LED bulbs.

That said, relays will still protect you from sending the light current through your switch, even if it is reduced current because of the LED's.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the way they look but I care a lot more about how I see.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I've got HID's in our '90 Westy. The HID's work, that is, they're suitably bright. But the high beam takes a while to come up to full brightness - 2-5 seconds?? Once up, dipped briefly, and back up, no delay. But...

The lamps have a finite life expectancy (shorter than LED's). They have a ballast and power unit each (Murphy's playground...). As a bailout, I bring along the halogens the HID's replaced - they're plug and play and I installed the relay kit before going to the HID's.

We have a major trip coming up in a couple of months. I really want to go with LED's. But we have square headlights (and always will - ahem...). Has anyone tried using simple LED bulb replacements? I have no sense of how much clearance there is behind the headlight buckets. Dimensions, anybody?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
coqwesty wrote:
heidi85ho wrote:
Pricey.....
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehic...gLg0_D_BwE

Also curious to know if anyone has tried these rectangular ones and if so, what kinda results can be expected and what mods are needed. I have the GW HP relay kit that I had planned on installing in the coming weeks, but if this is an even better (brighter) option, I could be swayed.... Thx.

I have not tried them but suspect based on the lumen rating that they are not even as bright as the stock headlights. For perspective, the 7" rounds that I installed have 3.5X the lumen output of those on low beam and 5X the lumen output on high beams. The pair I bought cost less than one of those. Even after buying the round grill and buckets, you still might come out ahead for cost. The rounds also look a lot better than the square headlights. Razz

Lots of 7" round LED options to choose from now. It's been a while since I researched this, but this video comparison might be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZT6QqHHOo

I've been really close to buying the JW Speaker Evolution 2 headlights but can't really justify the cost and don't like the look all that much either.

The lights posted earlier (which I ordered yesterday for $75 because they were returned):
https://www.amazon.com/LX-LIGHT-Round-Headlight-Wr...op?ie=UTF8
look very similar to the JW Speaker Evolution 1 headlights that are no longer available. JW stuff is mostly manufactured / assembled in wisconsin, and according to this link they source components from china: http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2014/11/21/the...and-fakes/

The problem with the china stuff on amazon is that the specs are lacking or just flat out wrong, so while the LX-Lights in the amazon link above list a high lumen output, who really knows? I wouldn't rely too much on those specs and really doubt they're DOT approved.

Waldo, your comparison of those lights to the H4s convinced me to give them a try anyway.

I've got relayed H4s 80/100w and am pretty happy with the output, but curious to see how these compare even if it's the least KISS option.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

erste wrote:
...while the LX-Lights in the amazon link above list a high lumen output, who really knows? I wouldn't rely too much on those specs and really doubt they're DOT approved.

Waldo, your comparison of those lights to the H4s convinced me to give them a try anyway.

I've got relayed H4s 80/100w and am pretty happy with the output, but curious to see how these compare even if it's the least KISS option.

I hope you like them. They do have DOT cast into the lens although that doesn't necessarily mean that they are DOT approved.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
[/snip]
We have a major trip coming up in a couple of months. I really want to go with LED's. But we have square headlights (and always will - ahem...). Has anyone tried using simple LED bulb replacements? I have no sense of how much clearance there is behind the headlight buckets. Dimensions, anybody?
BUMP Still looking for an answer.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I've run high powered LED bulbs in my Hella e-codes for about 2 years and never had a problem with ice build up. It's a myth that LEDS are cold. They are cooler than HID and halogen, yes, but definitely not cold. Mine actually have fans on the back to cool down the diode heat sink. They do most certainly melt snow and ice off the lens.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I use Ikea's little goose-neck LED desk lamps. Grabbing the lit end of the goose-neck is not a good idea. Remember, too, there's a reason why all of the LED's used as headlights have heat sinks and fans...
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

RBEMerson,

If your trip comes through my town, I'll let you see what the relay kit, squeaky cleaned lamps and quality bulbs will do for you. I'm very demanding about my vehicle lighting and this setup plus a pair of big Hellas rocks the night here in the elk/moose/deer strewn mountains. It's so dark up here even on a weekend night I sometimes don't see another car for 15 minutes of blissful high beams.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I went the relay route, with Hella lamps. I washed out the interior of the lens/mirror assemblies with a mix of alcohol and crushed ice. It was amazing how much was deposited on the inside of the lenses.

Being in pitch dark Idaho probably works in your favor at night. Your eyes aren't somewhat closed down from all of the low-level light glare or "noise" here in "civilization". Driving in upstate NY is the same sort of thing - the lights seemed more effective there than here in the Phila. suburbs.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:
[/snip]
BUMP Still looking for an answer.

This might be what your looking for
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/led-headlight-bulb-set-vanagon-square-outer-lowhigh-beam-86-91/
Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

Very impressive! Thanks!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

erste wrote:

The lights posted earlier (which I ordered yesterday for $75 because they were returned):
https://www.amazon.com/LX-LIGHT-Round-Headlight-Wr...op?ie=UTF8
look very similar to the JW Speaker Evolution 1 headlights that are no longer available. JW stuff is mostly manufactured / assembled in wisconsin, and according to this link they source components from china: http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2014/11/21/the...and-fakes/

The problem with the china stuff on amazon is that the specs are lacking or just flat out wrong, so while the LX-Lights in the amazon link above list a high lumen output, who really knows? I wouldn't rely too much on those specs and really doubt they're DOT approved.

Did you receive them? What do you think?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights, anyone try these? Reply with quote

I just ordered them. After all of excitement about the GW-EFI, this fell through the cracks.

Does anyone have info about H3 replacements? I found one but I have no idea how much clearance there is behind the inner high-beam-only lights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: