Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery mystery
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Battery mystery Reply with quote

Finally we are having nice weather here ( had some snow and ice storm last week) and I decided to take my 1974 412 wagon out of its hibernation. Well the car was a no start and had to take out the battery to charge it. I knew from what I read in the different manuals that I have and on the net that it was located under the driver's seat. Since I didn't know the exact procedure to remove it, I checked out a NOS 1974 owners manual I bought on the internet from a US seller. Now the surprise: Owners manual says it's under the driver seat. But on my car, it's under the passenger's seat. Was there a difference between cars sold in the USA and those sold in Canada? Or is it a change they made at the factory after these manuals were printed?? I could not find a canadian owners manual. They are different in at least one thing, is that they are bilingual french and english. But are the cars different?? Mine was made 11/73, vin 4642017126.

So now the battery is on the charger, but if ever it is toasted, does the recommendation Ray made for the 411 : " For the standard battery try Interstate battery. You are looking for a 45 amp hour battery. Group size 42....listed as part # MT-42 with 500 cca. " applies??

And on another note, there was a electrical wire , shaped like a telephone set cable, you know, the curled one, with a 2 prong connector, hanging from underneath the passenger seat. Couldn't find where it is supposed to be connected. I suspect it could be something to do with a seatbelt buzzer.
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Battery mystery Reply with quote

The battery was placed under the drivers seat on all cars but there was a factory option (M558) for the 411/412 to have a battery also under the passenger seat. This option was mostly used in cold climates to keep up for the use of the Eberspächer etc.
If you look under the drivers seat there might be cables for a battery or the previous owner might have removed all of this.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery mystery Reply with quote

MontrealAircooledNut wrote:
Finally we are having nice weather here ( had some snow and ice storm last week) and I decided to take my 1974 412 wagon out of its hibernation. Well the car was a no start and had to take out the battery to charge it. I knew from what I read in the different manuals that I have and on the net that it was located under the driver's seat. Since I didn't know the exact procedure to remove it, I checked out a NOS 1974 owners manual I bought on the internet from a US seller. Now the surprise: Owners manual says it's under the driver seat. But on my car, it's under the passenger's seat. Was there a difference between cars sold in the USA and those sold in Canada? Or is it a change they made at the factory after these manuals were printed?? I could not find a canadian owners manual. They are different in at least one thing, is that they are bilingual french and english. But are the cars different?? Mine was made 11/73, vin 4642017126.

So now the battery is on the charger, but if ever it is toasted, does the recommendation Ray made for the 411 : " For the standard battery try Interstate battery. You are looking for a 45 amp hour battery. Group size 42....listed as part # MT-42 with 500 cca. " applies??

And on another note, there was a electrical wire , shaped like a telephone set cable, you know, the curled one, with a 2 prong connector, hanging from underneath the passenger seat. Couldn't find where it is supposed to be connected. I suspect it could be something to do with a seatbelt buzzer.

The telephone looking wire....is for the seat belt buzzer and the ignition interruption system. Along with the buzzer and the light on the dash in later models....there was a circuit that prevented the ignition from operating when a driver or passenger weight was in either of the front seats...until the seat belt was buckled.

The plug for it is vertical and is on the forward bulkhead under the seat, in the corner right forward of the battery. Its hard to see and is usually hidden by a piece of carpet flap. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Battery mystery Reply with quote

Thank you Lars and Ray for your enlightenment. I'll sure try to plug back that seat belt buzzer!
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: