Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz'
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Next question...

Anyone have a reliable and easy way to measure deck height on a Type 3? I searched through the forums but couldn't find much other than some custom tools people have fabricated. Guess I could go that way but was hoping there is something easier.

Thoughts?
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

You really need a Machine Shop to do the measuring/machine work. They use liquid to measure the combustion chamber volume.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a vendor who sells complete engine tin kits for the Type 3? I find a lot of kits for Type 1 VW's. The only place I really found anything was ISP West and I would have to piecemeal a kit together. Additionally, cost was pretty high.

Anyone got another source?

Thanks!
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Used Only & you need all the cooling tins & bellows etc. Used cars cost serious money! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Figured it was worth checking if anyone was doing re-pops.
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Weather has been crappy here in the PNW lately, so we have been making a bunch of progress lately on Maz. Installed some of the "eyebrows". I don't care what anyone says, I dig them. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the engine out a week or so ago to prepare for the replacement heads and carb kit. Putting in Panchito 044s and 40mm Weber IDF's. I'm also going with 1.25:1 rocker arms and a CompuFire electronic ignition.

Spent this past Sunday pulling the shift rod and cleaning it up. Then replacing the shift bushing and shift coupler. The old bushing was shot and the coupler rubber isolators had seen better days for sure.

We also installed a Black Mamba from Vintage Speed. Install was very easy and minimal adjustment was needed to get it working. Can't wait to try it out on the road!!!

Making progress! More parts on the way. Still hoping to have her done by end of April but I'm thinking it might be mid-May before she's back on the road.
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

More progress this weekend on putting Maz back together. Got the wrap-around reflector housings installed and they look great! Cleaned up the hardware for the over-riders with distilled white vinegar and a wire wheel. Then repainted the hardware and installed the over-riders. Got the engine tin cleaned up and re-painted. Went with a custom color on the visible pieces. We'll see how it holds up. Put in the Saco pulley but still need to shim it properly. Started on the head setup and installation. Got the rockers shimmed and then the head installed and the rocker geometry set. Looking good so far!

Still got lots more to do. Install the other head tonight and start on the carb kit installation. That should be interesting.

'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Well, I managed to get the carbs on tonight. Holy crap it's a tight fit with the dual 40mm IDF kit. Still wondering if I'm going to be able to get the plugs out without removing the intake manifold. Looks really tight. Also, the cross-bar linkage is at an angle across the engine. Is that normal for this kit? It wasn't clear which holes to use for the swivel balls on the air cleaner base. Trying to figure that out still. Other than that, the install went pretty smoothly. CB Performance forgot the M6 nuts to attach the air cleaner base to the carb, so I have to hit the hardware store tomorrow.

'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Quote:
Holy crap it's a tight fit with the dual 40mm IDF kit. Still wondering if I'm going to be able to get the plugs out without removing the intake manifold. Looks really tight. Also, the cross-bar linkage is at an angle across the engine. Is that normal for this kit? It wasn't clear which holes to use for the swivel balls on the air cleaner base

- it's easier to pull the carb & manifold to check the plugs.

- yes there is a bit of an angle for the crossbar, I changed one of the carb tops LH to make it less than it was. I don't know why CB doesn't do that in the kit. or maybe they have changed it now
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1323820.jpg

I cut the tops down on the crossbar mount, they were touching the lid on mine.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

you might want to move your coil, I've had that SOB zap me more than once trying to adjust carbs in that spot.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
- yes there is a bit of an angle for the crossbar, I changed one of the carb tops LH to make it less than it was. I don't know why CB doesn't do that in the kit. or maybe they have changed it now
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1323820.jpg

I cut the tops down on the crossbar mount, they were touching the lid on mine.

How did you change the LH air cleaner adapter plate? Did you fabricate a custom one yourself? Or is there one available online? Or did you cut the CB one and weld the mount back on in a different position?

Thanks for the heads-up on the coil too! Could I maybe just flip it the opposite direction to put the "butt" closest to the carb?
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI

Last edited by aeroFlutter on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

I've also had a bunch of people telling me this setup is going to run really hot. They have been suggesting a Cylinder Head Temperature gauge. However, in reading the Gene Berg website, they claim all the CHT gauges are suspect and don't accurately read CHT. Do I need a CHT gauge in this application? CB Performance didn't mention anything about it.

Here's the article link for reference...

https://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=239

Thanks everyone!!!
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

the original carb top that came in the kit was offset further back towards the flywheel so I bought one of the others CB had on the website that was closer to the end.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/CDNBullyboy/SQUARE/1904cc%20engine%20build/IMG_1773.jpg

the only reason it would run hotter, is the stove is bigger, but properly jetted it should be fine. I built my own air intake system to feed it cool air from outside the engine compartment.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

If you look at the air cleaner bases, you'll see that they're for multiple applications. The being taller might require trimming to clear the load floor hatch.
The reason for the angle is 1 set of cylinders is offset from the other, hence the angle of the linkge.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The reason for the angle is 1 set of cylinders is offset from the other, hence the angle of the linkge.

Yeah, that makes sense. Just wanted to double-check that it is okay/normal and I didn't get the wrong parts for some reason. Since CB missed shipping some fasteners with my kit, I'm just a little concerned.
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Busy weekend here. Managed to get the engine back into Maz with the help of a friend who knows aircooled VW's pretty well. Ran into an electrical issue that took two days to diagnose (and I'm still not sure I fixed it). But the car runs now. It idles a little high (~1300 RPM) and it's running a little rich I think. Going to get it in to the local shop for tuning. Also needs an alignment.

Happy to have her in the home stretch for summer!
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

I received my new custom euro-style plate a couple days ago and managed to get it mounted on Maz. I really like the way it turned out. She heads to Porbug here in the Seattle area sometime this week or possibly the week of May 14th for a final tuning/syncing of the carbs. I'm also going to have them adjust her points. Then she should be ready.

One question for you all...has anyone run a Compufire module that replaces the 009 dizzy guts? I tried one and it almost started on fire when I tried to start the car. So we removed it and went back to points/condenser. We hooked it up per the instructions but not sure what happened. I'll contact Compufire on it but wondered if anyone else had issues. I may just step up to a full Pertronix kit next year.

We're still also waiting on our custom Sea Grass floor mats from CocoMats.com. Those should be here in a few weeks. Pics once they arrive. So far that company has been awesome to deal with! I'll post more details once the mats arrive.

Til next time...
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Looking fierce...

'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 Squareback "Build" - 'Maz' Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to get Maz out proper to a show. Did Vintage Meet 2018 in Shoreline, WA the past weekend. Manage to pull in 3rd in Type III/IV. Lots of cool stuff at the show and great people. Definitely going again next year.

'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: