Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you collect?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
man, I came up on a goldmine of 45s this past weekend for 25 cents each and passed on them since I don't have a stack record player or a jukebox, nor do I DJ, but they were perfect for that. They clearly came from a bar or somewhere that had a jukebox, every last one was a hit song. Mowtown,R+B, rock, country, everything from the 60s to the 80s. In nice shape too, some were warped. My guess is they will continue to rot where they sit in the corner of a video game store. All i bought from the guy were a large stack of NOS type II high bias 100 minute blank cassette tapes. They are near impossible to find these days, lots of the junky normal bias tapes are out there. I use them to record some of my rare-er records for the tape player in my car, and in case I end up selling them.

ugh. What a shame Crying or Very sad
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection - What do you collect? Reply with quote

Mostly I collect dust...on the things that I collect.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Vintage RC cars and old model kits.Also anything NASA related.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Vinyl. Now it's the bees knees again and I've been selling doubles and triples and albums people are paying stupid prices for to fund house and VW projects.

You mean that the vinyl soundtrack albums I bought in the 1960s and 1970s are now worth $$$ ??? Most have been played less than 3 times as I made cassette tapes from them (choosing my own tracks) to play in my VWs tape players. And contrary to what was stated way back then, the cassettes themselves have survived the test of time and Arizona heat - I still play cassettes I made 3 or 4 decades ago.

Some of these film soundtracks were released or re-released in the last 20 years with expanded number of tracks, including the spaghetti westerns which have newer European-produced CD soundtracks - so that's been good.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Vinyl. Now it's the bees knees again and I've been selling doubles and triples and albums people are paying stupid prices for to fund house and VW projects.

You mean that the vinyl soundtrack albums I bought in the 1960s and 1970s are now worth $$$ ??? Most have been played less than 3 times as I made cassette tapes from them (choosing my own tracks) to play in my VWs tape players. And contrary to what was stated way back then, the cassettes themselves have survived the test of time and Arizona heat - I still play cassettes I made 3 or 4 decades ago.

Some of these film soundtracks were released or re-released in the last 20 years with expanded number of tracks, including the spaghetti westerns which have newer European-produced CD soundtracks - so that's been good.

No, unfortunately records need to contain music people might still want to hear to be worth anything. Your copies of Hello Dolly and West Side Story could still be made into bowls pretty easily and sold at craft fairs however. The jackets you should recycle, they could be used to make new boxes or blow in insulation for homes...or something.

In all seriousness you can look them up here: www.discogs.com that's pretty much the definitive site for music media. The Samba of music if you will. You can buy and sell there too.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

HOard or collect. What's the diff? Laughing

I collected a few machines which I use and always looking to update. Most times I end up w/ more than few of same. Sometimes I get rid of one here and there.

So machines, automobiles, some exotic engines -recently acquired an WW2 bomber heater from Lincoln, NE. I gotta get that one running so I can use it.

But now I am mostly collecting or hoarding firearms and ammo. LOts of ammo.

Next on my list is a spread of land 300 acres or somewhere for my old age to enjoy.

I have picked up many machines all over the place and people always impress me w/ what stuff they keep in their homes and garages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^ if you aren’t on the watch list you will be soon^^^^^^^^^^^
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
No, unfortunately records need to contain music people might still want to hear to be worth anything. Your copies of Hello Dolly and West Side Story could still be made into bowls pretty easily and sold at craft fairs however.

Nah, these are action film soundtrack albums, like "The Great Escape", "Patton", The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", James Bond films, Star wars. Jaws. etc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Men's cologne collection Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:
No, unfortunately records need to contain music people might still want to hear to be worth anything. Your copies of Hello Dolly and West Side Story could still be made into bowls pretty easily and sold at craft fairs however.

Nah, these are action film soundtrack albums, like "The Great Escape", "Patton", The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", James Bond films, Star wars. Jaws. etc.

No, I get it. Those are trash. I'm not saying the music is terrible, I have some too, just that they are worthless.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I am in VA. WE are allowed many things. Laughing

WE are having another gunshow this weekend. YOu will see people w/ hand trucks hauling ammunition. I only buy what I need until the next show.

I have been meaning to get some vintage hunting knives too.

I collected axes for awhile...the frontier type. If anyone tool I gotta have to survive in the wild will be a nice axe.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Hah! Here you can go into a Walmart & buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo if you wanted.

You can order ammo in bulk online & the UPS guy will drop a 500 round pack at your door.

Here’s an interesting fact, if you want to purchase a gun, you have to get a permit (limit 5 permits per visit to the sheriffs department) unless you have a ccw permit, then you can purchase as many firearms as you want (I think there’s a federal limit per day but I’ve never tested it).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

NOT in the Democratic REpublic of CAlifornia. Laughing

Seems to me the states that have the most murders will be the ones who are not allowed pocketknives.

I also collect sledgehammers.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I have a family friend in NY that told me that they can’t order knives online because it’s illegal for them to be shipped into the state.

The same goes for mags over a certain capacity (7 rnds maybe).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

dust for the most part. and everything else I pay for...food is about the only thing along with toilet paper that leaves almost as soon as it arives Wink I have collected 2 wives but returned one of them it was defective.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

What are my collections?
Building 1/24 & 1/25 scale car and truck models which like most of us started as a kid & stopped, but I re-stared the hobby in the late 80's Pins from every place I’ve ever been, every Spacecraft Program I ever worked on Records, and CD's starting in the mid 70's I would go to Record store at least once a month, and once I started working in California I discovered Tower Records, and shopped like every two weeks!
Die Cast Toy Tractors, I started this with my Mother every time I came home to Illinois I would buy a different one with her.
I started going to the Historic Motor Races in Monterey Ca. every year, and that started my 1/43 VW Minichamps obsession My last collection was the 50 State quarters, I have them all. Cleaning Lady’s brat kid took Arizona, so I like a fool I paid eBay for another.
My eyesight got bad, so I stopped building models somewhere in the early 2000's, but I kept buying models for years.
Collecting & building models and all this other stuff really didn't amount to much until I had a bad break up with a girlfriend who was cheating on me.
All these collections really started growing after that!
Also I was living in a Condo, so it was kind of hard to do real car projects, although I did restore my '78 Convertible when I lived in the Condo.
I lived in the Condo from 1990 through most of 2004, and I moved into a house in Oct 2004, I got back into working on cars in the garage.
My mother had died in 2002, so collect Die Cast Toy Tractors faded, so Christmas 2003, I packed them all back up in their original packages, and donated them to Toys for Tots.
It took Two loads in the New Beetle.
About 5 years ago I sold 5 large moving boxes (18 x 18 x 24) of unbuilt 1/24 & 1/25 scale car and truck models for $2500 plus shipping.
Record Collection went on Craig's list about 6 months after that. Just Records, I still have CDs.
Then I moved to Morgan Hill about three years ago.
Built models, Minichamps VW 1/43 diecast, VW Tonkas got packed in moving boxes, and packed away for three years in the garage.
I haven't looked for a buyer for the 300+ Minichamps VW 1/43, or the 50+ Tonka VWs.
My wife and I just moved them to storage, and my wife put the really ugly rusty Tonka VWs in the garden.
They look cool in their little mini junk yards.
I decided after a few tries of selling built models it was easier to simply bag them and trash them.
It honestly felt good to get rid of them, they would fall apart in your hands when you touched them.
I’ll hang onto the pins, they are in a case mounted on the wall in my office, but the 50 quarters is like $12.50 so I guess I’ll go to the movies on that.
The Minichamps VW 1/43 diecast, and the good clean VW Tonkas got re-packed in containers, and my wife & I put them in our Storage.
Someday as I have time I'll research and sell off the Minichamps VW's, maybe dump the Tonka VW's on ebay.
I can't say I'm done with collecting, but domestic bliss, gardening/yardwork, and real cars take up my time now.
For me hording is the collection of junk nobody wants or over collecting to the point where it affects safety and health of you, and the people around you.
I accuse my wife of hoarding because, I believe, she still has every stitch of clothing she bought since the 1980's.
Damn does that piss her off!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Hoarding can mean different things to different people. Simply living in one area for a number of years will allow you to aquire more than you need. I moved fairly often till about 1990 and then across town on 2001. Working part time at VW salvage and repair allowed me to gather much but I tried to be selective and make it mostly trim pieces, smalls and engines. I filled a storage building and about a third of two car garage. I’ve sold most of that but much remains and I’ll be at the swap meet again this summer. I’ve seen true hoarding where it becomes a safety hazard and health hazard due to rodents.

I used to visit a local place known affectionately as the green barn and it began in the early 1980s by a woman collecting whatever didn’t sell at auctions, garage sales, estate sales and things people dropped off. It covered 10 acres and one large metal building. In recent years it became an extreme and dangerous place to enter. The lady was disabled and very poor her life was this junk so we occasionally went and bought something usually a tool or odd piece. She even had Hummel figurines buried in the abyss if you were willing to dig.

Then it happened, fire of undetermined origin broke out and burned so hot it destroyed everything. It’s a pile of ashes now.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I collect die cast cars. Mostly VW, Porsche and Muscle cars.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

after pondering thos question fer a while.....the final answer is.......TOO MUCH.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

strategy board games and a revolving door of 90's/00's era home audio gear from local CL ads

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

it seem old VW's and Volvos are high on my collecting list
I also like license plates and hub caps-- I just like the way they look on the shop wall
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: