Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle adjust on 34 PICT-3 FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
......The VW resource pages say to adjust the volume screw until the rpms drop by about 20, then back off a bit, but I can't detect a change that fine. When the rpms drop, they do it suddenly and it drops by around 200rpm, so I back off at that point.......

Try that again with a timing light connected and watch the mark when it hits that drop zone, does it remain constant?, or move wildly?

Plugs aren't going to tell you much about idle sadly, playing with mixture and listening will get better results. When it's struggling does cupping your hand over the throat of the carb so you start to feel suction (but not enough to suck your hand down tight on the carb) improve the idle slightly?, or make it worse? Can you make it smooth out by varying the amount of hand choking till you find the happy spot?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks both. I'll try some more tinkering this weekend.

If I need to enrich the mixture at higher revs do I change out the main jet, or does the idle adjustment also sort the mixture at higher RPMs?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
When rebuilt, the carb was set up with the following jets...

Main 130
Pilot (idle) 55
Air correction 80z
Aux 47.5

Those jet sizes are rather different from the ones specced in the VW Type 2 Workshop Manual for Euro-spec 1600 engines with
SVDA distributor, which are as follows:

Main X 125
Air Correction 60 z
Pilot g 60
Pilot Air 120
Aux. Fuel 42.5
Aux. Air 90
Enrichment (aka Power jet) 2 @ 95

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Visualize the idle circuit in a 34-3 as its own separate carb. Fuel level is critical on these German Solex 34-3's, especially at idle. Also important is fuel pressure. I think I saw your thread where you rebuilt your German square top pump? What fuel pressure is it putting out?

What kind of bus is this? Bay window or split?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Visualize the idle circuit in a 34-3 as its own separate carb. Fuel level is critical on these German Solex 34-3's, especially at idle. Also important is fuel pressure. I think I saw your thread where you rebuilt your German square top pump? What fuel pressure is it putting out?

What kind of bus is this? Bay window or split?

Yes, you gave me some helpful advice when I rebuilt a square topped pierburg pump. Before the rebuild I was using repro pumps and had way too much pressure although the plugs were a similar colour to the one in my picture above. I rebuilt it because I have a nagging problem with a smell of fuel in the oil. Prior to the rebuild, the oil seemed to be thinning quite a bit, so I'd assumed the pump pressure was overwhelming the carb.

After rebuilding the peirburg pump with the new WW diaphragm, the pressure came down to 2psi. (I changed the oil after rebuilding the pump but the oil smells a little of petrol already, although not as bad as before.)

The engine is in my '56 split single cab with a big-nut RGB transaxle. I've posted here as this thread seems to have the most information about the symptoms I have.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786

Last edited by Who.Me? on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

Those jet sizes are rather different from the ones specced in the VW Type 2 Workshop Manual for Euro-spec 1600 engines with
SVDA distributor, which are as follows:

Main X 125
Air Correction 60 z
Pilot g 60
Pilot Air 120
Aux. Fuel 42.5
Aux. Air 90
Enrichment (aka Power jet) 2 @ 95

That's interesting. I checked my carb/dizzy combination in this link http://www.glenn-ring.com/031/carb%20-%20distributor%20listing.pdf

The carb is 527-1 matched to a 043905205 L distributor. The linked list says it should be jetted...

Main 125
Pilot 55
Aux fuel 47.5 (non US AS engine, although mine is a B case, built as a 1600 dual port)

It doesn't give the other jet sizes.

When I had the carb rebuilt, I had a bosch 009 distributor. I swapped to the SVDA because the engine would bog down when pulling away, which made it a bit hairy when turning right across oncoming traffic (I'm in the UK). I did try to contact the rebuilder to ask if it would need re-jetting for the SVDA, but never got a reply.

Should I change out the jets?

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Should I change out the jets?

Far be it from me to recommend any such thing. Bus engines and Beetle engines, with the same engine series, typically had different jets in the carbs. VW manual cited above gives "carb modification state" of VW 359-2/367-2 (211-129-031J) with distributor
043-905-205B.

I had similar tuning problems with my 34 PICT-3/Bosch Mexican SVDA combo. Plugging the little hole in the throttle plate with
a rivet made a world of difference (for the better). Adjustment screws had much greater effect, and driveability & stability
increased at all engine operating temps and weather conditions.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

OK, so tried tuning the carb again yesterday to make sure it wasn't just me. I also re-checked the timing. There was a fair bit of scatter around 7.5º at idle, but at >3000 RPM, the timing is pretty steady at 30º (assuming my timing light is correct).

Once again, it seemed to idle OK when I'd finished, but the moment I started driving it, the idle dropped right off again. It wasn't consistently bad though. a couple of times it seemed to idle correctly (I don't have a tach in the cab), but most of the time, the idle sounded very slow and twice it just cut out when stopped at lights.

I pulled and gapped all the plugs this morning. They all look like my earlier photo, so no change from the last time I tuned it.

I pulled the carb and cleaned all the jets (none appeared blocked). They all matched the builder's note.

But - the fuel level was 25mm below the rim. I triple checked this including before and after disassembly and cleaning of the jets. The VW resource notes say the level should be 19mm. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought the level needed to be pretty much spot on for the inrushing air to draw fuel through the orifices. How could the engine even run with the level 6mm below spec? Does the fuel level need to be matched to the holes in the emulsion tube and are there different tubes?

I checked the float and float valve and they're both fine. The washer under the valve is 0.88mm. Could changing the washer to a thinner one fix a 6mm discrepancy? (I recognise that the valve is closer to the fulcrum than the centre of bouyancy of the float, but I don't know how fine or coarse the adjustment is.)

I have a float from an old BOCAR 34 PICT 3 carb that I took off the engine years ago. Should I try fitting that?

I also had a look at the end of the idle jet. It looks OK, as does the seat, but I noticed that the shape of the jet body and size of the holes are very different from the jets that I've bought here. I ordered 2060 jets in 57.5, 60 and 65 sizes to try, but haven't fitted them because they're so different to the g55 jet that is in the carb now. The hole sizes around the sides are much larger, they have a 'shoulder' in a different position and the ball bearing inside each jet is much further down. The jet that I took out is labelled SOLEX. The new ones are labelled RCA.

I've attached photos below - the jet from my carb is on the left in both pictures.

Have I bought or been sent the wrong jets, or are these interchangeable?

Thanks

Andy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
But - the fuel level was 25mm below the rim.

This is far out of spec, assuming the measurement is taken from a freshly-run engine on the level. Spec is 18 + or - 1 mm for the
34 PICT-3 carb. Would seem to indicate a malfunctioning fuel pump, in particular a low output pressure. You should measure that.
Stock washer under the needle jet is .5 mm, so you could try a thinner one, or no washer at all.

Idle jets from different manufacturers will rarely be identical. No way to tell how they actually function just by looking.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

This is far out of spec, assuming the measurement is taken from a freshly-run engine on the level. Spec is 18 + or - 1 mm for the
34 PICT-3 carb. Would seem to indicate a malfunctioning fuel pump, in particular a low output pressure. You should measure that.
Stock washer under the needle jet is .5 mm, so you could try a thinner one, or no washer at all.

Idle jets from different manufacturers will rarely be identical. No way to tell how they actually function just by looking.

The fuel level was tested on the bench. I hooked up a length of fuel line with a funnel (cut down fuel filter case) and filled it through there.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

The fuel level was tested on the bench. I hooked up a length of fuel line with a funnel (cut down fuel filter case) and filled it through there.

Find the correct washer under the inlet valve and do this again to measure where the fuel level is afterward. It needs to be in spec. Then, make sure all the jets/passages in the carb are clean and clear. I like to disassemble carbs completely and then stick them in an ultrasonic parts cleaner for an hour or two. It cleans the tiny passages in the carb body squeaky clean.

Reassemble the carb. Set the volume and bypass screws to 2.5 out from closed. Start the engine and let it warm up. With it warm and the choke fully open, fine tune those adjustments. DON'T get stuck with the 2.5 turns range. Some carbs need the volume screw out 3 to 3.5 for the engine to be happy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I hooked up a length of fuel line with a funnel (cut down fuel filter case) and filled it through there.

You'll probably never get the correct fuel level by gravity-feeding gas into the carb. The needle valve works hand-in-hand with
the pressurized fuel from the pump. The published spec for fuel pump pressure is 3-5 psi, for the 34 PICT-3 carb. I noticed that earlier you state
a fuel pump pressure of 2 psi, and that's probably part of your problem.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

34 PICT-3 carb. Would seem to indicate a malfunctioning fuel pump, in particular a low output pressure. You should measure that...

I bought a carb overhaul kit for the washer/shim and because the gasket tore when I was testing at the weekend, then tested some more this evening.

I made a jig to allow me to mount the carb level on the bench and rigged up a syringe with my pressure tester to see whether the supply pressure made a difference. It didn't. At 1psi and 7psi the level in the bowl was the same (I took some fuel out between each test to be sure). It also didn't leak fuel at high pressure, which was reassuring.

I think I may have found the reason for the low level though. I thought I had a normal float, but after reading this thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573583&start=0

... I realised that I had a solid foam float. I swapped it for a hollow one from my old Bocar carb and with that and the slightly thicker gasket that came with the rebuild kit, the fuel level came out at 19.25mm with the washer that was already in the carb.

I'm hoping that will help with the apparent lean condition. I'm going to try tuning it again at the weekend. If it's still not idling properly I'll also change up the idle jet.

This was the rig I made to test the float...

And this was the float that I changed out...

I never knew that solid floats existed. It sounded hollow when I tapped it. Confused

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

normally a saturated float will cause a higher bowl fuel level. It could be that someone used an aftermarket float which has more surface area and sits higher causing a low fuel level.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
normally a saturated float will cause a higher bowl fuel level.

I see what you mean.

Either way, switching it for the hollow float seems to have done the job.

I was surprised that there was already a spot worn on in to the metal arm on the old float from where the valve made contact. The running issues mean that I haven't put many miles on the truck.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
Either way, switching it for the hollow float seems to have done the job.

Applause
good job
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Touch wood I seem to have solved the warm idle issue. It also starts more easily now and will idle from cold without giving it gas, but cold idle is lumpy.

So far I've cleaned the carb jets and sorted the fuel level issue.

I also added a pop rivet to restrict flow through the hole in the throttle plate. (When this carb was rebuilt a new throttle plate was fitted. I used the shanks of some drill bits to check the hole size and it was more than 3.5mm, so it looks like the rebuild kit that was used included a throttle plate for a DVDA distributor. I have a SVDA distributor.)

After re-tuning; the above cured the struggling warm idle issue but it still wouldn't start 'on the button' from cold. Cold idle speed remained very low and it would stall almost immediatley without gas.

On a hunch I changed the distributor cap and rotor arm. Both looked OK, but I noticed that corrosion products built up quickly on the cap terminals.

The engine then 'caught' more quickly, but would stall almost immediately.

I adjusted the automatic choke to crack it open slightly as it's about 12ºC here at the moment (low 50s Fahrenheit)

It now starts strongly and idles at a good speed (better than I can remember this engine idling at cold), but is slightly lumpy.

If I blip the gas during the initial idle, the speed drops right down and the idle becomes quite rough. It's like it's running on three cylinders. I then have to give it gas to keep it running until it warms up a little. If I *don't* blip the gas during that initial stage it seems to warm up OK on its own though.

It's almost as if it needs the choke open slightly to start, but the choke opens too quickly thereafter. I think blipping the gas is allowing the fast idle cam to move and open the choke plate as the choke coil warms, but it feels like the engine needs longer to warm up before it gets that open.

It's not practical to leave it idling with the throttle arm trapping the fast idle cam as the truck is in a garage and I need to get it outside before it fills the garage with fumes.

Any ideas? I can't see how to balance the apparent need for the choke to be slightly open when it cranks over, but to open more slowly than it does thereafter?

I haven't tried any of the larger idle jets yet (it currently has a 55 in it).

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Everything you describe now says you need to close the choke a little more.
The choke breaker should crack the plate open by itself as soon as the engine starts, it's that small spring loaded diaphragm with 3 screws that faces the rear. If it's ruptured or the top of the carb is warped so the gasket doesn't seal it's vacuum passage all sorts of odd things can happen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Everything you describe now says you need to close the choke a little more.
The choke breaker should crack the plate open by itself as soon as the engine starts, it's that small spring loaded diaphragm with 3 screws that faces the rear. If it's ruptured or the top of the carb is warped so the gasket doesn't seal it's vacuum passage all sorts of odd things can happen.

I tried closing the choke completely again and it made the cold idle worse. It basically just died.

I cracked it open and started it back up. I left the housing loose and swung the choke closed while it was idling. It died again. It definitely needs the choke open a little to start and stay running.

It wouldn't run fast enough or long enough to tell whether the choke diaphragm was having any effect, so while I was messing with it, I took the top off the carb and checked the diaphragm. There was petrol on the vacuum side and the shaft was 'sticky', so I took it out, cleaned up the housing and replaced it with the diaphragm from the rebuild kit to be on the safe side.

Will give it another try tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

Thanks for your patience.

VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjust on 34-PICT-3 FAQ Reply with quote

Did you try the new idle jets you purchased? Even though they look different to your original they are the same. Your original .55 may have been reamed out too big, try the 57.5 that should work.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: