Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Thank you for the information on the asbestos looking material, most appreciated. I think i'm going to pull it out.
Now i know that it's for sound insulation, I think I can replace that with something a little more appealing to look at.

lil-jinx wrote:
I would not rip the wiring out,check it over and repair and clean as required,also pull the firewall off and have a look at the fuel tank,maybe replace your fuel lines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

well....
Repairing and cleaning as required ... still pretty much leaves me with a total rewire Laughing Laughing
It's like a nest of vipers.

The good news is I'm a sparky by trade, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

that is pretty normal . Use the wiring diagram(s) in the technical section to check each connection one at a time. If the connector is corroded replace it with the correct style brass ones. It will take a couple hours and you can dress the wires when you are done. Use a volt meter on higher amperage things to find any bad grounds etc and you be dollars and time ahead.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

That has to be a new record for use of oversized fuses Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That has to be a new record for use of oversized fuses Shocked

Laughing Laughing Oh man, that’s a swallow of beer I’m not getting back Laughing Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

PLEA FOR HELP!

Hey all.

I've got a fairly big update on this to come, HOWEVER I have a bit of a desperate plea if anyone can help!
It seems I've sent the oil cooler mounting block back with the old block.

we are in the process of rebuilding the engine as i type this, however this obviously has stopped us!
Does anyone know of someone, in the west midlands in the UK that would have this part TODAY?!
They would be an absolute life saver.

Obviously, I know this is a super long shot!!! but its worth a try!! Laughing

Thanks!
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

As promised, a big update!

Betty the bus is back!

Okay, it's been a long couple of weeks.
As anyone who reads the last post can see, we hit a bit of a snag when we initially started the rebuild last weekend.

I got in touch with the company who exchanged my old block, and they very kindly sent me my mounting bracket back, They even shot blasted and refurbished it for me!

We were delayed by a week while the part was returned to me, but that did give me some opportunity to tackle some other problems.

Sexy new engine!

New heat exchangers - Not having heat exchangers (as well as not blocking the air outlets) was highlighted as a possible cause of the over heating!

Task 1. Wiring.

Being an electrician, it wasn't too much of an issue to get hold of the right sort of wires, and crimps.

You can see from my previous photo just how much of a mess the wiring was.

I ended up removing a lot of the cables because they simply didn't seem to be doing anything, either not connected to anything, or seemed to be doubled up
I was quite nervous that I was missing something.
I also discovered why my interior lights didn't work...the cables had been cut. (obviously)

One of the issues was poor cable management. cables twisting and looping around each other, cables unnecessarily long. and surplus ground wires EVERYWHERE!!

The biggest issue was poor joints, almost certainly the reason the ignition was popping a 25A fuse, there were 3 cuts just between the ignition switch and the fuses, plus badly corroded connections on the starter motor.

As you can see, I've rationalised the cables where possible (please ignore that 1 black cable running across, I've rerouted that too now Laughing ), renewed all cables from the back of the bus including the cables to the starter.

Quite the task replacing the loom under the bus, I can tell you!

However, with the wiring complete, Betty showed her first sign of life again as I hooked up the battery to test her, it seemed that the cabled i removed were indeed redundant

Next task was cleaning out the engine bay.
First a before and after!
Before

After!

You can see in the above photo, there is a gap between the wheel arch and the body work.
I'm not sure how this gap exists, but it was allowing grime and water into the engine bay from the road, which was less than ideal, I've filled this gap, and sealed it from the under side so the bay is now sealed properly.

A fair few hours work went into the engine bay. 50 or so years of grime built up on the walls took a lot of de-greaser and some elbow grease to get rid of.
Where needed it was sanded back and a rust inhibitor added.

Rust inhibitor

the entire bay was then primed, painted and a clear lacquer added to long term protection.

Next, the warped and unsightly sound deadening shown at the top of this photo

a double layer of insulating foam was put in instead.

After searching around this forum for a few finishing options for the top of the engine bay i stumbled across this post, by VWBUS998
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=288082&start=0

I loved it, thought it looked great, so i set about recreating my own.

Measuring up, possibly the most difficult aspect was deciding the hole size and the distance between them..

I'm lieing.... by far the most difficult and time consuming was drilling 600 pilot holes followed by drilling all 600 again at full size!
Pilot holes

Full size holes - drilled outside on a rare sunny day in england

Finished central panel

The engine tray looks as though it has had a tough life.

Like new!

Finally around to this weekend just gone, My friend once again made the 1.5hr drive to come help me.
We were on the home straight,
We replaced the accelerator cable, and the 2 heater control cables.
For some unknown reason, someone at some point decided when they removed the heat exchangers, rather than just leave the control cables alone, they cut them!!
The accelerator cable was also held together with an electrical block connector which was a disaster waiting to happen!!

Finally with all ancillaries ready, we set about getting Betty's new heart installed.
This is where we hit our final (serious) problem...The heat exchangers don't fit!
It took us a while to realise that we had but them on backwards...
This sounds like a silly mistake, however the bug exhaust that has been put on means that the heat exchangers do not fit on the correct side, but do coincidentally fit on backwards.
Since this was the only way they fit, we installed them wrong.

For now, I've put the J-tubes back on to get her up and runnning, however I have a stock exhaust on order!

We did encounter one slightly more embarrassing problem, for about an hour after everything was finished, we couldn't start the bus and couldn't figure out why.
The van was turning over perfectly, but refused to start!
We checked the dizzy, the tuning, the sparks.... All working fine.
We came to the conclusion that it must be a mixture problem
When we removed the carb, we plugged it with rubber gloves to help try and prevent it from drying out.
however, when we reinstalled the air filter on top of the carb.... we forgot to remove the gloves! Laughing absolutely no air would have been getting into the carb Laughing Laughing

After removing the blockage, she started first time and is purring.
To be honest, she sounds a lot better than she ever did, which leads me to believe the last engine had problems for a while.
There is a significant reduction in sound, part of which would be down to my new sound deadening, but I suspect the engine is running much smoother in general.
it also sounds far less 'rattley' than it did before, which is good!

A Final shot of the new engine in its sparkly new home!

Just the heat exchangers to finish when the parts come!

Thanks for reading!
Happy to answer any questions Smile

Last edited by CaptainKingsmill on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

No questions, just wanted to say great job, it looks very well done and extremely tidy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Wow, you did a nice job cleaning up that engine bay. What a tremendous improvement in the appearance!

Now, just some thoughts here. Your nice new engine is wearing lots of "economy" third world made parts. The fan shroud, carb, distributor, fuel pump, etc. I'd imagine the rest of the engine tin, etc.

You'd be well off to source original German VW made engine tin and install it over that aftermarket tin. The original cylinder tin has air diverters in it to direct the air to the right spots on the heads. The original fan shroud has diverters in it as well. Are your running the flaps inside the fan shroud and the thermostat? They are also important. The flaps direct the airflow when the thermostat opens up. The thermostat also helps the engine warm up correctly.

You have a big miss match of carb and distributor. I'd imagine it has some off idle hesitations or flat spots when you drive it. Sourcing a restored German Solex 34-3 and matching German Bosch vacuum assisted distributor would make it run and drive SO much better.

I'm not trying to be critical but rather, offering advice so you can get maximum life from your new engine and more pleasure in driving it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBear29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Quote:
A Final shot of the new engine in its sparkly new home!

Just the heat exchangers to finish when the parts come!

Thanks for reading!
Happy to answer any questions Smile

Not bad for a couple of blokes who have never worked on any aircooled VW’s before!

Absolutely made up with the finished result, can’t wait to take a spin in Betty! Cool
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Wow, you did a nice job cleaning up that engine bay. What a tremendous improvement in the appearance!

Now, just some thoughts here. Your nice new engine is wearing lots of "economy" third world made parts. The fan shroud, carb, distributor, fuel pump, etc. I'd imagine the rest of the engine tin, etc.

You'd be well off to source original German VW made engine tin and install it over that aftermarket tin. The original cylinder tin has air diverters in it to direct the air to the right spots on the heads. The original fan shroud has diverters in it as well. Are your running the flaps inside the fan shroud and the thermostat? They are also important. The flaps direct the airflow when the thermostat opens up. The thermostat also helps the engine warm up correctly.

You have a big miss match of carb and distributor. I'd imagine it has some off idle hesitations or flat spots when you drive it. Sourcing a restored German Solex 34-3 and matching German Bosch vacuum assisted distributor would make it run and drive SO much better.

I'm not trying to be critical but rather, offering advice so you can get maximum life from your new engine and more pleasure in driving it.

X2

Well done on the cleanliness and very nice job on the wiring.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

The advice is much appriciated.
If you wouldn't mind answering a few further questions tho i'd be very greatful.

You say there is a mismatch between carb and distributor? and that it's specifically a big one. firstly, how can you tell this from the photos? and could you point me in the direction of someone who could supply the parts?

I'm not running the flaps inside the fan at the moment, however it is something I'm looking at adding, however the tinware does seem to be of pretty good condition. and the shroud does have as far as i can tell, all the correct fins within it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:

If you wouldn't mind answering a few further questions tho i'd be very greatful.

You say there is a mismatch between carb and distributor? and that it's specifically a big one. firstly, how can you tell this from the photos? and could you point me in the direction of someone who could supply the parts?

I'm not running the flaps inside the fan at the moment, however it is something I'm looking at adding, however the tinware does seem to be of pretty good condition. and the shroud does have as far as i can tell, all the correct fins within it.

On a dual port type 1 engine in a heavy bay bus, the best distributor to run is a restored 1971 211905205Q DVDA distributor matched to a German Solex restored 34-3 carb. That is what they came with in 1971 in the USA when the engines went dual port. The advance and ramp of the distributor was set for the heavy bus. I ran a bug DVDA distributor in my bus out of curiosity and it simply rev'd the engine way too quick.

You have a 009 mechanical distributor matched to an aftermarket carb of questionable quality compared to a restored Genuine German solex 34-3. That combo is one of the worse ones for any VW. It's known for off idle hesitations and flat spots. Search 009 flat spots. Hundreds of threads on this site. Now, the German 009 distributor is a good distributor but it doesn't play well with the 34-3 series carb. It works fine with the 30 series carbs.

Here's my restored 1971 stock bus engine dressed with all the original German made parts. Tin, fuel pump, carb, throttle positioner, etc. Reinstalling all the original restored parts made my bus run like when it was delivered.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:
PLEA FOR HELP!

Hey all.

I've got a fairly big update on this to come, HOWEVER I have a bit of a desperate plea if anyone can help!
It seems I've sent the oil cooler mounting block back with the old block.

we are in the process of rebuilding the engine as i type this, however this obviously has stopped us!
Does anyone know of someone, in the west midlands in the UK that would have this part TODAY?!
They would be an absolute life saver.

Obviously, I know this is a super long shot!!! but its worth a try!! Laughing

Thanks!

I’ll bet you had to round the Wrekin to find that...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

The engine bay looks great! One question, in one of the pics, it looks as if you used an additional piece of board to fill out the corners of the engine bay, make sure that you haven’t blocked fresh air flow from the vents & also make sure that there isn’t enough overhang so that rain entering the fresh air intakes can’t saturate the boards.

And, where is your spare tire well? Never mind, I guess yours isn’t a walkthrough.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I’ll bet you had to round the Wrekin to find that...

Something like that Laughing Laughing

TDCTDI wrote:

The engine bay looks great! One question, in one of the pics, it looks as if you used an additional piece of board to fill out the corners of the engine bay, make sure that you haven’t blocked fresh air flow from the vents & also make sure that there isn’t enough overhang so that rain entering the fresh air intakes can’t saturate the boards.

And, where is your spare tire well? Never mind, I guess yours isn’t a walkthrough.

Nope, I was very careful to ensure the wood panels don't overlap the air intakes. I've also applied a sealant to the edges to ensure that any water can't get to the board. (although the boards are lacquered so wouldn't have been very susceptible to water ingress anyway. )

you're right, she's not a walk through so Spare tyre is under the front bench Smile

Today's problem.
sometimes when turning the ignition, the dash lights up, but nothing happens. and then after a couple of turns of the key, it'll start up absolutely fine.
lights don't dim, and battery voltage is fine, so it's not battery.
after a bit of reading around, I'm currently suspecting the solenoid may need removing and cleaning, however I can't rule out the wiring since I've been pratting around with it.

I'll be taking a look this weekend, If anyone has any other thoughts on things to look at, I'd be happy to hear them.
CaptainKingsmill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
CaptainKingsmill wrote:

On a dual port type 1 engine in a heavy bay bus, the best distributor to run is a restored 1971 211905205Q DVDA distributor matched to a German Solex restored 34-3 carb. That is what they came with in 1971 in the USA when the engines went dual port. The advance and ramp of the distributor was set for the heavy bus. I ran a bug DVDA distributor in my bus out of curiosity and it simply rev'd the engine way too quick.

You have a 009 mechanical distributor matched to an aftermarket carb of questionable quality compared to a restored Genuine German solex 34-3. That combo is one of the worse ones for any VW. It's known for off idle hesitations and flat spots. Search 009 flat spots. Hundreds of threads on this site. Now, the German 009 distributor is a good distributor but it doesn't play well with the 34-3 series carb. It works fine with the 30 series carbs.

Here's my restored 1971 stock bus engine dressed with all the original German made parts. Tin, fuel pump, carb, throttle positioner, etc. Reinstalling all the original restored parts made my bus run like when it was delivered.

Thanks for the advice,
I've noticed that this new engine seems to stutter a bit at low revs,
Didn't notice it so much on the last block, but I may not have been looking for it.
I put it down to tuning,
I was planning on taking it to the pros for a tune up,
Would you say this would be a waste of money with my current set up and it would be better to change the carb, keep the dizzy, and then get it tuned.

It also occasionally stalls when slowing to a stop, again i put this down to poor tuning, but I'm guessing this could also be caused by the poor dizzy/carb combo?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Bay Engine tear-down after overheating. Reply with quote

CaptainKingsmill wrote:

Thanks for the advice,
I've noticed that this new engine seems to stutter a bit at low revs,
Didn't notice it so much on the last block, but I may not have been looking for it.
I put it down to tuning,
I was planning on taking it to the pros for a tune up,
Would you say this would be a waste of money with my current set up and it would be better to change the carb, keep the dizzy, and then get it tuned.

It also occasionally stalls when slowing to a stop, again i put this down to poor tuning, but I'm guessing this could also be caused by the poor dizzy/carb combo?

A tune up won't help your situation. Better to spend that money on an original carb and distributor. As I mentioned, 009's and 34-3's just don't play well together.

You would be shocked and very pleased with how your bus ran with a restored German Solex 34-3 carb and restored German Bosch DVDA or SVDA vacuum assisted distributor. No hesitations. No off idle flats spots.

The other factors to make your engine run perfectly include-

* Running a thermostat and the flaps in the fan shroud.
* Running a stock muffler that's providing the correct heat to the carb heat risers on the carb intake manifold.
* Insuring the heat risers are clear of carbon.
* Running the correct oil bath air cleaner and hooking up the warm air outlet to the oil bath.

These items were all installed and functional on new buses. They need to be in place for cold engine driving first thing in the am. The thermostat also helps the engine warm up correctly. Replacing the carb/distributor will fix 90% of your problem.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: