Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoenix oil change and storage
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

We'll be in the Phoenix area in late November. After coming from the PHL area, the Westy will be due for an oil change. DIY oil changes in parks, etc. are ...um... not encouraged. Is there a good VW shop we can have do the job? Or are we condemned to trusting a VW dealer?

Also, we'll need to park the Westy until early to mid-February. Trying to find covered storage is proving to be a challenge. For example, one possibility said they won't take anything made before 2001. Weird...

Suggestions? We would like to be a reasonable Uber ride from the airport.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

Tucson (90 minutes south of PHX) has fewer airline connections but there is a local chain of storage units where I have stored the Westy in the past:

http://www.afamilystorage.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXB...Q0QAvD_BwE

Good VW shops abound though I expect that is also true in Phoenix.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

In this situation I would use the vanalert app to look for a rescue squad volunteer and contact them about doing my oil change at their place. (I checked and there is a member in Phoenix). I do not generally trust a shop to work on my bus especially on a long trip as I want to be sure it was done right and not by their lowest paid oil change jockey. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

Wedge VeeDub talk to Paul
4028 N 24th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85016
(602) 274-0578

They're not too far from the airport, he may even be able to point you in the right direction for storage, Paul's been in the VW scene here in Phoenix for over 30 years.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Or are we condemned to trusting a VW dealer?

I'd trust Jiff Lube before a dealer. I doubt anyone ad the dealership has seen a Vanagon.

BTW.. Everett lives not far from Phoenix. Maybe PM him and ask for a recommendation.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I'd trust Jiff Lube before a dealer. I doubt anyone ad the dealership has seen a Vanagon.

Since my van was taken to a Jiffy Lube before picking it up back in 2010, resulting in a major fiasco, I can say without any doubt that Jiffy Lube would be the last place I'd ever take my van to. Some Phoenix dealers do know the old-school era, so I wouldn't hesitate to try a couple of them... it's just the hourly rate that really stings.

Anyway, ditto on the Wedge suggestion for any work needed. Others: Affordable German, Buggs & Bunnies.

Storage: Lots of vehicle storage places in the Phoenix area, but may not be near Sky Harbor, or have room at that time of year thanks to snowbirds. I'd offer my driveway, but it's on the north side of town, isn't covered, is too small, and isn't exactly secure these days... if I had the awesome multi-garage place up the road, different story!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix oil change and storage Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!If all goes well, we won't need the support. NTL it's a good thing to have a place to turn to.

We think we finally have a place to store our Westy, and it's not too far from the airport. Woohoo!

I guess dealers vs Jiffy Lube is pretty much like anything else. Some good, some not so good.

A few years ago we had a rear brake problem, sorted out at a dealer. When our starter went sour, I took the Westy to the same shop. The put the starter in, but didn't do a good job of tightening down the high current cable. Gngh...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: