Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help identify
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randallp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Please help identify Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I recently bought a buggy. The guy I bought it from didn’t have much info on it. I’m trying to insure it and can’t find anything other than this 9 didgit number. I’m unable to see in any of the graphs here and other sites what year this is. The number on the frame is 113701181. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

1973 I believe.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Try the HBB off-road section, dustymojave is usually pretty quick at IDing the frames.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Randallp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Thank you, I will look in that section
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

113701181 is the part number of the part it's stamped into, not a VIN. The actual VIN is hopefully located either stamped into the rear cross member near the transaxle shift coupler area, or on a metal tag screwed or riveted somewhere on the tube frame -- there isn't a standardised location when it comes to rail buggies.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

113... would be a part off a beetle. that part that has 181... was a Thing part.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Randallp wrote:
Hello everyone. I recently bought a buggy. The guy I bought it from didn’t have much info on it. I’m trying to insure it and can’t find anything other than this 9 didgit number. I’m unable to see in any of the graphs here and other sites what year this is. The number on the frame is 113701181. Thanks

Hopefully it has a state issued Custom construction VIN somewhere on the frame. Even if it had the VW VIN on it, as far as any insurance company nowadays is concerned once you are in need of that insurance will tell you it's not a VW Beetle and not insured.

Did you get a title with it? Looks like for Georgia you would need one of these type of title classifications. https://dor.georgia.gov/assembled-and-unconventional-vehicles

If it was never put on the road it was probably never titled so it wont have an official VIN number now that its not on the VW Pan.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

So, just where is this # stamped?
Randallp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Came with a bill of sale. Cbeck, in my non vw/buggy English.... In the picture showing the black buggy, the part directly in front on the back wheel that sticks out, like some sort of bump deal, on the back side of what that bolted to... If that helps. I will look at the link for Georgia, was just trying to do it the cheaper or easier way. Thanks guys.
Randallp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Also, was hoping if I found a vin, I could just call my insurance agent and tell him to add a vw beetle to my policy. Is this the wrong thinking? Fenix, are you saying yes they will do it but when you have a claim they will deny it because you lied?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

This buggy frame is an imitation of a rail style generally called "Invader" or Fugitive". But it's not really either one of those. Just similar. Regardless, neither of those are car brands or models recognized by ANY state Motor Vehicle Department or Bureau. It was NOT built by VW, even though it might have some VW parts included in the frame. There IS NO model year for it, unless it was previously registered with the DMV of some state.

Then IF you have the previous registration, you would transfer the title and register it in your name. You get insurance at that time. Has someone told you to GET insurance?

Mukluk is right about the number being a part number NOT a VIN. Although if it WERE a VIN, it would indicate a 1963 VW Bug. But it's NOT. Even if it WERE, it would be useless as a VIN. You would HAVE to have a lot of the original VW pan tunnel to use the original VIN and it would HAVE to still resemble a VW Bug.

I don't think your buggy has previously been registered.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Although if it WERE a VIN, it would indicate a 1963 VW Bug.
It wouldn't... it might indicate a '73 if you add a number on the end, but VW didn't start that vin style until '65.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Although if it WERE a VIN, it would indicate a 1963 VW Bug.
It wouldn't... it might indicate a '73 if you add a number on the end, but VW didn't start that vin style until '65.

Yeah...You're right. Brain fade there. Embarassed
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Randallp wrote:
Also, was hoping if I found a vin, I could just call my insurance agent and tell him to add a vw beetle to my policy. Is this the wrong thinking? Fenix, are you saying yes they will do it but when you have a claim they will deny it because you lied?

In some cases that is what has happened and in some states it is hard to find companies to insure them. For instance in Missouri only progressive and foremost can underwrite new policies for open frame buggies. If you bought it bill of sale it was most likely never run through the proper process to be VINed properly after being built. It’s not impossible to title and liscense for street but it’s not easy if you do not have all the paperwork of building it. Best to contact your DMV and see how to proceed, or just run it as an off-road toy and don’t worry about it. Since it looks like there is a lot of work to bedone to be street legal it was most likely never registered and no reason to insure it.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Your best bet is to find a beetle title and license it that way. That is the way we do it in this state. I see them for sale on craigslist and at swap meets. Although it is illegal to sell a title (I think).. most of them call it a "historical document" to get around that loophole.

If you can find a junk car, old pan or tunnel with the VIN, then you can get a title that way too.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Your best bet is to find a beetle title and license it that way. That is the way we do it in this state. I see them for sale on craigslist and at swap meets. Although it is illegal to sell a title (I think).. most of them call it a "historical document" to get around that loophole.

If you can find a junk car, old pan or tunnel with the VIN, then you can get a title that way too.

The legal way to do it is to use that VIN as the sacrificial VIN for the custom construction. Insurance fraud charges are no joke! And a vehicle with a title and non-matching or missing VIN, or even a VIN with the wrong type of rivets are not taken too kindly by HWP either. Mine had a partial VIN plate and I still spent a full day at the inspection facility being treated as I stole the vehicle and the parts to construct it. After they finally applied the replacement VIN I was warned that even painting over the VIN plate constitutes mutilating/modifying the VIN and would result in voiding the VIN and possible legal charges. This was in Missouri, not Arkansas or Georgia so laws may be slightly different.

If interested in doing it the proper way I know some one who has several vin plates and matching titles. Not sure if he wants to part with any more of them but I know he has them and has sold them for $500 - $700 over the last couple of years depending on if it was a Beetle, Gia, or Thing.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

My inspection by the hwy patrol was nothing like a safety inspection. They were only concerned with where each part came from. Then they ran every serial # they could find. Shoe box full of mostly legitimate reciepts and a sacrificial title that matched front and rear suspension types. Yes, they know a kingpin beam never came with a irs rear.

The paperwork. Both the privately owned local office, and the main office in the capitol city were both knowledgeable and helpful. Too easy, but I did all my homework first. Now my homework would include finding somebody to insure it.
Randallp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help identify Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am continuing the research.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: