Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you collect?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Belly botton lint.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I collect tools of all kinds. I also use them all.

I collected stamps for 40 years. Got a really nice collection.

Collected Legos for a few decades. Still got them and their instructions.

Presently, I am trying to collect and retain dollar bills. The oldest is entering college in 4 months.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

"Hotwheels" started in 1968 and still going strong. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

hotwheels and 1:18th scale diecast cars

im still pretty young and have come to the realization that the japanese car craze that has recently taken a hold in hotwheels is killing my passion for it.

ive listed for the first time ever a piece of my datsun 510 collection on ebay.

if i continue, ill just collect vw stuff, better option would be to just stop collecting and filling closets full of cars i never see
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I'm collecting those cheap ($0.76 out the door) brass bristle brushes so I can get the free Harbor Freight shit. I use the brushes to clean either my BBQ grill or clean the bottom case halves of my 356 engines. Use them once and toss 'em. Wink
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I also "collect" e-waste. old smart phones, lithium batteries, broken dvd players, old laptops, charger cords, etc. This stuff just magically accumulates and it all still sorta-works, so I keep it around just in case ET wanders into my yard looking for a speak and spell to phone home.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Grievances.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Hinges
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Scars

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Weeelllll.....other than collecting parts to eventually finish my one classic VW (restoring...I mean actually restoring....a 412 is hard enough).

.....aside from that.....I do collect one thing. And collect is a strong word....I would call it a fetish! Laughing

When I was in both architecture school and product/graphic design school (1980's) I came to the inescapable conclusion that a very fine drafting pencil was not only a joy to write and draw with....but....at that time, they had advanced from your basic "lead holders" ....to very advanced and finely balanced, exquisitely machined and/or molded works of industrial art.

I bought a few of the very best over the years. Most got stolen by coworkers or dstroyed by idiots.
One survived....the very last one I bought of a specific type...the last year it was commercially available...1989. Its a little worn....has been back for repair....and is one of my prized possessions. On the mow rare occasions I take it out for a test drive....typically a range of perfectionists I run across...recognize it for what it is and drool over it (most engineers, pilots, designers etc.)

Its a Faber Castelle TK matic 0.5.

When I had a little more money about 7 years ago....I went shopping around to see what the state of mechanical pencils are now.
There are a few really nice NEW ones...but nothing at the technological...or styling/design level level of what was at the end of real time pencil/paper drafting going into the desktop drafting era.

So....that last drafting pencil I still owned? German made by Faber Castelle of course...and If you can find one new in the box....the all metal versions run run $400-500. And I bought a new one in the box 6 year ago.

There is one of the combination plastic and metal barreled ones on Ebay right now for $140 and climbing https://www.ebay.com/i/273146587442?chn=ps

Other than the appearance and balance....they are fully machined...and as you write/draw with them...they have a series of mechanical clutches inside that advance the lead automatically...forever.

Another I have which was also bought "NOS"....does not even have a button to advance lead....it has automatic clutches as well. Another rare $400 pencil made by Stadtler in Germany.
Not all of my small collection is expensive. Some were quite inexpensive...but are just superb pencils and draw very well....and are still rare now.

The German and Japanese mechanical pencils of the 80's onto the 90's were just superb quality.

This is the "Beverly Hills" side of my meager 16 pencil collection case. These four pencils are worth about $1200....not saying I paid that for them...its just the going rate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The German made, fully machined, fully automatic Faber Castelle TK-matic 0.5. Its actually fully machined brass, triple chrome plated and brushed.

The nearly as nice Staedtler Techo XXX (cannot remember the model number). Solid machine stainless steel. Fully automatic...not advance button. Very nice to write or draw with.

Hey...you asked what we collect? Wink Laughing
Ray

https://imgur.com/a/tA5el3N
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

A useful thing to collect better than collecting miniature commemorative spoons or balls of twine. No offense to those guys 👌🏼
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
A useful thing to collect better than collecting miniature commemorative spoons or balls of twine. No offense to those guys 👌🏼

I do understand deleting pictures that are non-vw based....to some extent....to save server room...but jeez....I make it a point to make all of mine "snips"...so they are large in viewing size but only about 70 kilobytes Rolling Eyes

Ray
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I do understand deleting pictures that are non-vw based....to some extent....to save server room...but jeez....I make it a point to make all of mine "snips"...so they are large in viewing size but only about 70 kilobytes Rolling Eyes

Ray

Don’t feel bad not even having a little gold star gives you a pass and then there’s the whining about 3rd party hosting and dead photo links. It’s an odd place but we keep coming back yes?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I fixed your pencil post above so the pics appear presently
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Ray- thanks for reminding me of my past love for a proper drafting pencil! Dangit! Another great small thing of which to hoard.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Its a Faber Castelle TK matic 0.5.

Still have my Rotrings. Still have your Rapidographs? And more important, do they still work? Think i have one Koh-I-Noor that is serviceable.
blankc72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I have six of the Rotring 600 pencils. 3 German and 3 Japanese made, in both .5 and .35. For the money I don't think there is any better, even though NOS german pencils are starting to creep north of $100.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

Model aircraft engines. Single, twin and 3 cylinder at the moment. Mostly 4 strokes, a couple of diesels. Here is one but as it is non VW so likely won't stay.
rabbitjetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

I collect vintage tools mainly from Plomb(Proto), snap on, and craftsman.
I also collect Volkswagen/Mercedes Parts and vintage Ray-Bans.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you collect? Reply with quote

- turtle shells (vacant)
- stamps
- coins
- fossil collector
- VWs
- VW toys
- mid-engine Toyotas
- taxidermy
- .22 caliber single shot, pre-1920 rifles
- old books
- animal skulls
- glass photo negatives
- antique, Craftsman style furniture

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: