Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m driving one of my dream cars and they are cheap now. 95 Lincoln town car, last of the big 4 doors body on frame V8 rear wheel drive. Shares most mechanicals with Ford crown Vic and mercury full size.

Parts are crazy cheap, paid less than 1000 dollars running, have a salvage yard less than 20 miles down the road with 5 parts cars and more arrivals on the way... Car gets 28 mpg highway and people get out of the way when they see me coming. Triple black resembles death Mobile from the blues brothers movie. Cheap thrills and very comfortable ride, power everything and decent factory sound, interval wipers, powerful heat and air, cruise,tilt, leather interior and a trunk big enough to hide dead bodies. 😀 pristine low mileage examples less than 5 large. I’d post a pic but that would displease the management here👮🏾‍♂️

You can post all the pics you want, you just need to host them somewhere other than the samba gallery.

I have thought of a car like yours for daily duty, but too often I need to haul lumber and sheet goods. Haven't figured out how to get a lumber rack to fit on a Lincoln yet.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Hey when cars get this cheap it wouldn’t be hard to cut it and make a pickup or weld some angle iron and fabricate a ladder rack. Who cares what it looks like? As for photo hosting it seems a bit disingenuous to be complaining about dead photo links and encouraging people to post here then out the other side of their mouth take pics down because they aren’t VW related. Whatever it might get out of hand if they allowed all manner of stuff here. If it ain’t VW related I won’t post a pic, that’s easy for me to remember and everyone’s happy. So much has been lost to dead links and 3rd party hosting.

One thing I forgot to mention about the full size FoMoCo products. It’s easy to find the P71 police intercept vehicles and or the heavy duty parts which will fit the other cars. Book em Dano. 😀
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Cobra Daytona Coupe
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

I have many but I LOVE this damn boat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

There's a lavender 59 Buick convertible near me. Full custom, white top, shaved with skirts. I see it at shows all the time. It's so purrrty..
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Godzilla.

e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Years ago, I used to really like the looks of the "aerodynamic" Citroens of the 1960's & early 70's... Seems like they died away after that Burt Reynolds character dunked his girlfriend's Citroen SM in the Savannah River, though.

In my adult life, one of the few cars that I found totally breathtaking, was the 1950's Mercedes 300SL (Gullwing) - one of which I saw on display in Newport Beach CA, totally restored. Gave me a chance to circle it a few times. Wow.

Neither is very practical, so I'm not shopping for either.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Ferrari 250 Daytona
427 Cobra
OG GT 40
MB Gullwing Coupe
Jag E Type
Top of fantasy cars, my want list is too long to type. Good thing I'm poor, I would need a parking garage.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

It’s great to have an eye for and enjoy the classics. Years ago we stayed at the Imperial Hotel in Vegas and took in the auto collection. One entire room was devoted to Duesenberg and there was perhaps twenty with full time security and a bar where people could sit and drink while taking in the ambiance of millions of dollars worth of equipment. The downside is as a mere mortal working man that’s as close as I’ll ever get to one. The flip side is Hagerty and Hemming’s have compiled as list of affordable cars people can enjoy on a budget and maybe that’s why some are here messing with VWs I suspect. There are a lot more cars out there that are undervalued and unappreciated. The Chevrolet Covair being one. More cheap thrills on a budget Very Happy
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It’s great to have an eye for and enjoy the classics. Years ago we stayed at the Imperial Hotel in Vegas and took in the auto collection. One entire room was devoted to Duesenberg and there was perhaps twenty with full time security and a bar where people could sit and drink while taking in the ambiance of millions of dollars worth of equipment. The downside is as a mere mortal working man that’s as close as I’ll ever get to one. The flip side is Hagerty and Hemming’s have compiled as list of affordable cars people can enjoy on a budget and maybe that’s why some are here messing with VWs I suspect. There are a lot more cars out there that are undervalued and unappreciated. The Chevrolet Covair being one. More cheap thrills on a budget Very Happy

The museum/dealer sounded neat so I just searched it. It closed on December 30, 2017.

I like the idea of having a bar where you can sit and drink and enjoy the vintage autos as a form of art.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

That is a beauty!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

59 Invicta 2 door very nice, the 4 door would be thousands cheaper. Get a look at what Brad is driving in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” 😀
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
59 Invicta 2 door very nice, the 4 door would be thousands cheaper. Get a look at what Brad is driving in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” 😀

The four door would have to be a wagon and I wouldn't pass on that one either!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Most of the GM 59's were great looking cars. I had a 59 Chevy BelAir 4 door sedan and loved that car, it was black with grey interior. It floated down the highway. I'd like that 59 Buick in a 4 door - not the flat top but 4 door sedan. Other than VWs and nice big old 50's Americans car I like the little oddball ones. So I'm restoring one of these:

It's a Lloyd. It's very small, underpowered, and awesome. Very Happy
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

1937 TALBOT LAGO T150 SS FIGONI & FALASCHI TEARDROP COUPE

I'm simply taken by the design. Such beauty and thoughtfulness put into cars during that era. Looking around at cars today just makes me sad inside.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Most of the GM 59's were great looking cars. I had a 59 Chevy BelAir 4 door sedan and loved that car, it was black with grey interior. It floated down the highway. I'd like that 59 Buick in a 4 door - not the flat top but 4 door sedan. Other than VWs and nice big old 50's Americans car I like the little oddball ones. So I'm restoring one of these:

It's a Lloyd. It's very small, underpowered, and awesome. Very Happy

Up your alley and for sale near me right now. 57 Goliath wagon.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/1957-galiath-station-wagon/6566051247.html
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:

That is located about ten blocks from me and belongs to my friend Jim. Also a VW guy.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

That is located about ten blocks from me and belongs to my friend Jim. Also a VW guy.

Whoa! Those are sweet cars! Made by the same parent company. They are like an inflated Lloyd! Doesn't it figure I have access to a free Goliath engine that would fit that thing too.. Sadly I am out of money/room for more cars. I have 2 more Lloyds to get here if I ever find a reasonable shipping company! Does anyone know of any? (sorry, off topic)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

Whoa! Those are sweet cars! Made by the same parent company. They are like an inflated Lloyd! Doesn't it figure I have access to a free Goliath engine that would fit that thing too.. Sadly I am out of money/room for more cars. I have 2 more Lloyds to get here if I ever find a reasonable shipping company! Does anyone know of any? (sorry, off topic)

Put the load up for bids on www.uShip.com
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Besides old VWs, what is your favorite "Iconic" car? Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:

If my buddy is interested in that engine, is there a chance of getting it out here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: