Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any known issues with dual port intake boots?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

I am talking about the usual red-brown boots that seal the end castings to the intake. I installed these only six months ago and possibly less than 500 miles since then but one boot is split open. (NOW I know why I have had backfiring.) The other side seems okay by carburetor cleaner spray test.
The same type of boot previously lasted 15 years. Is there a quality issue I should know about? Better alternative boot? This boot was not subjected to any abuse or even much service on the engine since it has been on.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

those boots have always been an issue. Usually the red-orange ones or poly ones last the longest.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

The ones that I had seemed indestructible. When I get some replacements tomorrow I will look into alternatives.`
Actually, I am glad I know where I stand. I haven't used the bus much--too busy with other things--but was concerned I might have burnt a valve. Hopefully not so. I don't think I have driven it enough for that. My spray test also implicated the carb gasket which I have already obtained replacement. So, hopefully I will be in a position to do some travelling soon.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

I took a closer look at the boot which I had just tossed in the car. It is not the tan material I took it to be. I took it to be the same as rear red silicone engine seals. But instead it is some jelly like crap that tears easily. Good vision helps! It looks like the old stuff but the old stuff was indestructible.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

I took a closer look at the boot which I had just tossed in the car. It is not the tan material I took it to be. I took it to be the same as rear red silicone engine seals. But instead it is some jelly like crap that tears easily. Good vision helps! It looks like the old stuff but the old stuff was indestructible.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

My two local sources had only the same soft urethane (?) stuff which is incredibly delicate. But one had a used red silicone boot in good condition which he gave me and I installed. I ordered a pair of red silicone boots online so now I will see what I get. I am hoping it will not be more of the same.
The air cooled VW hobby used to be familar with the expression You Get What You Pay For. But nowadays it could be replaced by You DON'T Get What You Pay For. Same idea.
Anyway I got the boot on and also replaced the carb gasket. Now the spray test shows no leaks on intake side and engine runs okay. Tomorrow I will replace calipers. Although April, it is getting hot by afternoon.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

the red-orange silicone ones used to last me about three to four years depending on the weather, and heat. The factory rubbers ones at that time might only have lasted six months to 2 years as I recall before they cracked and leaked.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

When installing them, you MUST tighten down the intake manifold bolts before tightening the boot hose clamps. The center section of the manifold has a slot that allows a few mm of movement on the vertical and fore/aft axes. Get the center section as close as you can to perfectly centered in the less flexible outer sections, torque the manifolds down, and THEN snug up the hose clamps- not tighten. Manifold vacuum will keep the air seal intact under normal operation.

I got tired of this and went single-port. Haven’t touched my manifold in three years now.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/intake-pipe-reducer/?osCsid=097ede5c59a48c4e6245065dede06619

Can't remember which size fits on a stock 1600 manifold cuz I drive a type 4 powered bus but I know they sell one that fits. You'd need to measure and stuff. Those are turbo silicone pipe connectors and will still be in good shape when we and the buses are rotting into the ground.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/intake-pipe-reducer/?osCsid=097ede5c59a48c4e6245065dede06619

Can't remember which size fits on a stock 1600 manifold cuz I drive a type 4 powered bus but I know they sell one that fits. You'd need to measure and stuff. Those are turbo silicone pipe connectors and will still be in good shape when we and the buses are rotting into the ground.

My dude! Hitting the Game Winner with the link, thanks!!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

My dude! Hitting the Game Winner with the link, thanks!!
Robbie

You're welcome.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

Thirty'ish years ago when I built the custom manifold I have for my Type 4 with a progressive, I designed it to use fuel filler hose instead of the problematic stepped Type 1 boot. Still running the same set of extremely tough boots today. I may well soon adapter similar boots to the Type 1 engine in my T-181.
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

Now the engine is out of the single cab to address an improperly mounted generator, I thought replacing the boots would be a good idea. The closest set of the silicone reducers made for turbo and water cooling automotive applications are 1-1/2” x 1-1/4” ones. I’ll report back from in after install.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/intake-pipe-reducer/pipe-reducer-p-122.html
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

as a side note, you need the correct clamps to have these last any length of time. a normal hose clamp will cut into them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

After Install:
Here's the parts that are the closest in size that I was able to find.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They fit pretty well but I did have to trim off 3/8" from the small end.

Here is a comparison between the two:

I heated up the new ones slightly and used some soapy water and they slid on no problem. I was able to reuse the original large clamp on the small end but had to go with a s.s. hose clamp for the larger end. Beefy!
Daddy Likes...
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:

Is the new boot sliced there on the right or is that a deformation?
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

Just speaking here from my own experience. I put a set of Bugpack urethane intake boots on my 71 bus when I installed a new motor. I used proper boot clamps when I installed them.

I never had a single problem with them say for one. And it just required the clamps to be re-tightened once. They were in place fifteen years until the motor snapped a valve off last year.

At that point the boots were still serviceable and might have been reused but new motor new boots is the rule of thumb here. So I installed another pair on the new motor. So far so good. looking forward to another fifteen years on these intake boots too. Cool

rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

That is one Kleen motor.
very nice!
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
rkeller wrote:

Is the new boot sliced there on the right or is that a deformation?

That's the 3/8" bit I had to take off the smaller end to get them to fit properly.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Any known issues with dual port intake boots? Reply with quote

https://www.wagen-werks.com/intake-manifold-boots-dual-port-original-vw-pair/

These look like the real deal...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: