Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

I would like to see/hear about how anybody who had clearance issues when installing dual carbs on their dune buggies corrected the issue. I'll be tackling this project soon on our Empi Imp and am exploring the various methods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

I had to use Gene Berg intake manifolds to clear my Manx Kick Out body. They are 4in tall from the valve cover rail.
GB 580A is the part number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

The rear was cut up on this one when I bought it:

It's now the blue one on the left, I just smoothed it out a bit before painting:

The yellow one had a single carb in the 70's

but went dual baby dells in the 90's and now HPMX's, soon to be Webers.

There are two metal braces that go from the fire wall to the cowling. For the HPMX's I had to move them up a bit so the air cleaner didn't rub on the tail lights, so there is quite a bit of pressure on that, but after 5 years seems to be holding with only a minor stress crack. The tail lights do make it pretty easy to access the carbs for tuning.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics. By looking at these, I am starting to think that I might be a little better of than most models. This isn't my buggy but it's the same make/model as mine (Empi Imp). This one sold on ebay a few days ago. Can anyone tell what version carbs/manifolds they are? Looks like CB linkage to me?
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

What I'm mostly concerned about are the braces for the rear panel that are up underneath behind the back seat area. I'm thinking I will have to modify or move them. Or maybe go with a body lift, but I'm hoping to avoid that... don't care for the look.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

Our Manx clone has a real short rear and clearance is tough. Moving the braces is not a big deal. On mine, they were simply cardboard angles that were glasses over. I cut them loose, moved them and glassed them back to the body and then painted over them.

Air cleaners can be a real challenge and if you look at K&Ns site, there is a universal section where you can find some unique configurations. I am using taper cones with an angled base that were for a snowmobile application for my dual single barrels.

As far as linkage goes, I REALLY like the Scat universal or CSP bell crank styles which keep things lower and much cleaner. Depends on your carbs though.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Our Manx clone has a real short rear and clearance is tough. Moving the braces is not a big deal. On mine, they were simply cardboard angles that were glasses over. I cut them loose, moved them and glassed them back to the body and then painted over them.

Air cleaners can be a real challenge and if you look at K&Ns site, there is a universal section where you can find some unique configurations. I am using taper cones with an angled base that were for a snowmobile application for my dual single barrels.

As far as linkage goes, I REALLY like the Scat universal or CSP bell crank styles which keep things lower and much cleaner. Depends on your carbs though.

Do you have any photos?
What carbs do you have?
What I take are you using, and any clearance issues with doghouse?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

I put the engine in first... then the body went on! Rolling Eyes

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

What I take and carbs are you using?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

Frizbal wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

What I take and carbs are you using?

44 HPMX on CNC match ported EMPI

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions to dual carb clearance with fiberglass bodied buggies. Reply with quote

That’s a clean looking build! Mine is done in a month, getting excited.

What are the gauges mounted on the fiberglass back left?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: